SoundSplinter

Orphan 8's Need a Home!

Sorry guys! I've just been really busy with classes the last few days, I should have something for ya this afternoon though.

Videos! This is my first time taking videos of subs, so I'm not really sure what you guys are looking for, lol. These are from my cell phone, so I apologize for the quality.

If someone could tell me how I can just embed these into a post, that would be great.

Edited by Apex Rex

Hey Mike, here is the latest box I built for the sub I just got in the mail from ya.

& damn I love these subs.

CustomBoxHDR.jpg

Just finished it tonight so I couldnt crank it up, but I will post a video tomorrow for everyone.

I cant believe Mike still has any of these left for the price he is giving them away at.

Mudvayne may be cool and all but lil jon has better bass for testing subs. ;)

Not everyone listens to lil jon.

mounting depth on these bad boys? looks like about 5.5 inches tops, based on the pic with the soda can?

are these still available - if so how many are there left? Working on a project that will have roughly 1.8 ft^3 and these might work perfectly!

are these still available - if so how many are there left? Working on a project that will have roughly 1.8 ft^3 and these might work perfectly!

i believe he has an shit load of these guys left... i wish i could pick one up myself!

There are plenty that I know of. The SSA Store has been moving a few here and there. :)

I need some specs on these to see if I can cram three of them into a single cab downfiring truck wedge box.

overall diameter

cutout diameter

mounting depth

magnet width

and any other available measurements.

thanks!!!

Edited by zacjones99

From what I remember Mike saying, was that they are very close in measurements to the RL-i 8.

How do the orphan compare to the rli 8 considering SQ and SPL? As far as I understand they each work well in the same size enclosures.

Hey guys, just wanted to note that the Orphan 8's are being seriously marked down through the SSA store to help me free up some space as well as to help SSA get a little bit of fundage!

For the build quality and capability of this driver (made in San Diego, CA), you would be hard pressed to find a deal like this again on such a quality product.

Happy Independence Day Weekend! :drink40:

:)

Those look like great little subs. Somebody should wall off a van with about 30 of 'em :peepwall:

I don't mean to thread jack, but how exactly do you know the wiring configurations for a 6 ohm SVC driver? I've only ever used the "the12volt.com" wiring diagram. Is there an equation to determine final ohm load?

Edited by burko

look up ohms law.

Or read this :P

paralell:=

end load= (1/6+1/6+1/6)^-1

(0.16667+0.16667+0.16667)^-1

=(1/0.16667)*3

=2 ohms

that was a exampl with 6 ohm drivers, 3 of them.

Series is easy:

Just count all the ohms together: exapmle: 6+6+6=18 ohms.

Dang that is a killer price!

look up ohms law.

Or read this :P

paralell:=

end load= (1/6+1/6+1/6)^-1

(0.16667+0.16667+0.16667)^-1

=(1/0.16667)*3

=2 ohms

that was a exampl with 6 ohm drivers, 3 of them.

Series is easy:

Just count all the ohms together: exapmle: 6+6+6=18 ohms.

But what if it as a DVC?

hi guys, just kinda confused???

i know that box would be like the RLi-8, but if you have 2, iv read that...

This driver is a good candidate for very small sealed boxes. For vented boxes, it would be most practical to use more than one driver in a shared chamber, as the net volume must be kept relatively low in order to achieve a flat response. Of course, if you don't mind a li'l bit of peakiness, you can always go larger. I'd suggest anywhere from 0.2 - 0.5 cu ft net volume per driver tuned between 30 - 35 Hz.

- so does 2 on a sealed also mean to be on common chambers?

- if ported, it has to be really towards the small side like .3cubes each?

- what happens if tuned like mids 20's instead of the 30hz range?

i also saw a post in youtube, the mentioned that a sigle driver, installed on a 2 cubic ft enclosure tuned 20-26hz can go down to 11hz? can somebody also confirm that too?

oh, if its true, then would this mean that power requirements also will go gown to maybe 200W due to the large enclosure?

thanks.