Sign in to follow this  

hey guys im goin to be runnin a second batt in my trunk and let me get this right

is this all i need wire wise

stock batt+....fuse....+kinetik...fuse....distro...amp

stock batt-.........-kinetik....amp

and i will have a big 3 with a inline fuse form the alt to my stock batt

all this being 1/0

thanks in advance

frontcell ...fuse........fuse....rear cell........fuse...distro+

some people do it the way you stated for the -

but i just ran double 0 gauge from the frame to the rear cell..... and then 0 gauge upfront from front cell to the front frame

bigjon is correct... you need to fuse the positive cable after it leaves the front battery, and before it connects to the rear battery. This way if the cable is cut or shorted betweeen the two batteries the fuses will blow and keep you from burning down your ride ;) The fuses out of the back batt to the amps are optional, and really depend on the layout of your installation.

Do NOT put that fuse in between the alt and the stock batt!

alright

i just heard ppl doin that so i thought u were supposed to :)

but i wont and it will save me money lol

and the runs of 1/0 to the back positive and negative will be on the underside of the car, im goin to use welding wire and some wire loom for even more protection

so i need 2 fuses on the run of positive to the rear

one within 18" from the stock and then another within 18" of the batt in the trunk correct?

and thanks for all the help

Exactly what would be so bad about it? That is the recommended procedure for the Big 3 Installation.

Safety First.

Exactly what would be so bad about it? That is the recommended procedure for the Big 3 Installation.

Safety First.

indeed. the stock line is fused..

when i did the big three i did not fuse mine. just to throw that in

Safety First.

you dont have to put it but think of it this way . what will happen if all goes bad and u didint have a fuse. i dont run fuses but i know what the outcome will be if something shorts out.

so its ok to put a fuse there and would be advised

I would definitly fuse it. If the alternator should by some crazy reason ground out internally then melting wire or worse can happen without it.

any other suggestions before i take on the task?

so i was thinkin since im using a fused distro off the postive batt in the trunk i dont really need an inline fuse before the distro

so i was thinkin since im using a fused distro off the postive batt in the trunk i dont really need an inline fuse before the distro

the only reason a fuse is their is to save your ass if something goes wrong. fuses help. but if you can get away with your wireing. and make sure their is nt and their will not be any short then you dont need any of them . its just up to you. itd a 40 dollar insurrance tho instead of seing a car in flames!

ya i may just end up ditching the distro and just go straight inline fuse to the amps.

having a trouble finding a distro that does 1/0 in to 2 1/0 outs

and im havin trouble at one place where i tried to get one! damnit!

anybody got any other places to find one?

ya i may just end up ditching the distro and just go straight inline fuse to the amps.

having a trouble finding a distro that does 1/0 in to 2 1/0 outs

and im havin trouble at one place where i tried to get one! damnit!

anybody got any other places to find one?

thats if you want to but yea kunkocepts has some for you

ya knu has some but they use mini fuses i need anl cuz i need at least a 250amp fuse

if you put a fuse in between the alt and the batt, if the fuse pops, the alt will no longer be able to charge.... anything.

Even if your alt is a 100A alt and you put a 100A fuse in there, the alt may attempt to output more than that power depending on scenario and could pop it due to just excessive current output.

If you are really paranoid about the whole issue, fuse it with something 1.5 to 2x the alt rating. That way if for some very odd reason the alt got grounded out as stated before, it will still blow the fuse.

You still need a fuse 18" from each battery.

ya i was still goin to do that.

i was just goin to run an inline fuse within 18"s of the the batt and then run the wire to the amp

they repeat the process for the other amp

if you put a fuse in between the alt and the batt, if the fuse pops, the alt will no longer be able to charge.... anything.

Even if your alt is a 100A alt and you put a 100A fuse in there, the alt may attempt to output more than that power depending on scenario and could pop it due to just excessive current output.

If you are really paranoid about the whole issue, fuse it with something 1.5 to 2x the alt rating. That way if for some very odd reason the alt got grounded out as stated before, it will still blow the fuse.

it still would charge through the stock wire if the fuse blew correct?

then whats the point?

That'd be the same thing as saying, i have 2 runs of 6 awg wire running into my amp. One of them is fused, the other isn't. Something happened and popped the fuse but the wire caught on fire! Why? because the other one wasnt fused.

IF you have multiple runs of wire going from point A to point B, if one is fused, they ALL need to be fused or it's a waste.

In this scanario no. as the alt would be crapped out.

Basicaly fuse it, just be liberal with the size of fuse so you're not popping them off like bottles of PJ rose, num'sayin?