RAD

Walling a Hyundai Hatch

Love to see what you can get out of your IXL's. Only thing I worry about is the apparent water issue in the lower doors, don't want your Momo's to rust out too. Also, do you have enough clearance to mount the amps on the back of the enclosure?

I think they could be choking or it may be tuned way too low.

Nice uprages though :)

Love to see what you can get out of your IXL's. Only thing I worry about is the apparent water issue in the lower doors, don't want your Momo's to rust out too. Also, do you have enough clearance to mount the amps on the back of the enclosure?

Will be metered tomorrow, hopefully 150 or very close. The water issue is fine, so long as it doesnt pool: i used a piece of dynamat as a 'roof' above the momo's, so they should be good.

Amp clearance? The amp is in the cabin, just a half inch behind the b-pillar.

Anyway, i made a new port, 175sqin 14" long. Seems to be better tuned now, still not as loud as it was though. Perhaps it could have been the sikaflex caulk around each join of wood? Or the thick closed cell foam tape i used on the baffle? Cant tell me that bracing the baffle better decreased the score?

Just trying to figure this out, things should have gone the other way and gotten louder :shrug:

Thanks for the comments though guys :neil:

Thanks mate :)

Got it metered the other night, only managed 144.4, lost to two other walled guys who tied first with 145.6, 6 x JLW612's and 8 x DD2512's. Meter didnt seem accurate, people with crazy setups got poor scores like the guys above.

Will be seperating the two drivers, by making a partition where the vertical bracing is, thinking theres some cancellation going on or something similar. I removed the port and stuck my head inside, it's pretty quiet in there.

It might not help, but it's worth trying. If all else fails, i have a 3rd IXL as spare ;)

P.S. any tips you guys want to offer on getting louder, feel free to chime in!

Edited by RAD

What meter was it ? Where was it placed ?

If you said after bracing it got quieter, can you remove the braces ?

Did you find the peak of the car ? What port did you use ?

It was a termlab of course, meter was positioned about 3" in towards the top passenger side - completely in the wrong spot.

The bracing could be removed, but the baffle flex is insane at low notes without it.

Peak is around 43-45hz, not sure because i only got 2 30sec runs, and one run the engine stalled. Port used was 175sqin, 14" long - *should* be about 32 hz.

Just cut up a partition in the middle of the wall, so each sub sees a 11cuft +/- enclosure, not sharing a 22 -/+ enclosure. Gonna try and test that out tonight or tomorrow.

Edited by RAD

check back the settings on your deck and amp.. maybe something is off somewhere.. also, what is your voltage like at the amp while burping? what alternator you running?

The headunit (alpine 9886), subwoofer is at 15, remote gain so i can make it clip if i wind it too far.

Voltage is probably terrible, dont have anything to measure it with, but a single Odyssey 2150 will only run it at full tilt for a half to full song until things get quieter.

Alternator is a stock 70A, high outpout alts like iraggi dont exist in this country.

I borrowed a meter for a little while, new PB is 147.8 @ 37hz, 25hz still sees me at 140.3. 144.9 on music (lows of USDA-White Girl), after all the burps and lights dimming from a low batt.

Gonna try a few things tomorrow, like windows down, removable port, charging the batt, gaffa tape... just stuff for fun.

Been doing a little work and testing, here's where i'm at on music:

102_2250.JPG

It's still a bit low compared to everyone else, but i'll keep working on it :)

everything you do affects score. alot of big score guys i know in street jsut run single baffle, single layer enclosures as adding bracing can decrease score.

looks like your testing is working though. too bad you couldn't put both subs on passanger side and port on driver's side. that seems to help walled vehicles.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

It's a street beater first and foremost, so i'm not chasing just a score, hence the subs arent on the passenger side. But, i'll do what i can to get louder on music, little gains of 0.5db here, 1db there will add up in the end. Rather work on the install/setup first and gain there, rather than forking out cash to double the power, more subs etc.

Interesting that you say bracing and multiple baffling might decrease a score though? I'm guess bracing would restrict or do strange things to port airflow, but double baffling?

Interesting that you say bracing and multiple baffling might decrease a score though? I'm guess bracing would restrict or do strange things to port airflow, but double baffling?

from my understanding, multipule layers can restrict, or stop, box resonation. which is what it's intended purpose is. however, if the box resonates at or near peak frequency, you are hurting your score. at least that's my understanding. i've seen scores drop quite a bit by adding a second layer, or adding in a brace. but i've also seen it go the other direction as well. the only sure way to know is to test.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I made a quick vid, not great quality and dubbed sound since its an older kodak camera, but its something. Look closely and you'll see the steering wheel and windscreen flex.

If you noticed, i have 3 18's in there now. Needs another battery or two to keep the volts up, no doubt theyre getting low on full tilt!