luninox

dynamat vs damplifier pro

So what is the biggest difference between dynamat and damplifier pro? Which should I get and how much for just the trunk of a tahoe/suburban?

Damplifier Pro is butyl based, Dynamat is Asphalt based.

If you ment DynamatExtreme, then I'd have to go and nitpick the thickness and such.. which you can do too.

price as well.... Damplifier is less expensive (at least for us in hawaii)... Damplifier pro is more cost effective... It's almost 1-1/2 times thicker then dynamt extreme for slightly more...

Go with the Second Skin. ;)

I've never had the pleasure to use second skin but I've read great things. I used raamat on my truck this past week and it was real easy to use and worked really well. Stay away from dynamat, go with either second skin or raamat.

If you are going to compare similar products you should look at our entry level mat, Damplifier, not Damplifier Pro.

Dynamat Extrme

1.67 mm thick

.45 lbs psf

4 mil foil

300 degree heat rating

Damplifier

1.25 mm thick

.45 lbs psf

4 mil foil

500 degree heat rating.

Damplifier is slighty thinner than Dynamat Extrme but weighs the same. This is becuase we introduce a defoaming agen in to the butyl while it is blending and re reduce the air content from the formla. Since there is less air bubbles in the adhesive it is very dense.

If we wanted to, we could leave the machine on foa few hours longer, and not use the defoaming agent and we could easily turn a 100 gallon batch of butyl adhesive in to a 150 gallon batch. Then, we could apply that to the foil at a greater thickness and could make the claim that our product is the thickest around.

Problem is, there would be no difference in weight. so even though a the product is thicker you don't get any better results since there is just as much material as the thinner batch.

This is why we often encourage people to compare the weight of a product rather than the thickness.

Obviously there is more to vibration damping than just weight, but the more it weighs per square foot, the more you get for your money.

Look at Damplifier Pro. 1.75 mm thick but it weight .65 lbs per sq foot and has a 6 mil foil heat shield.

Nothing in the industry comes close to those specs.

ANT

Dynamat is Asphalt based.

Is this true???

Yep, rubberized asphalt. They don't recommend you use it for ceilings of the car cuz it falls off lol. they say it's good for the floor.

Dynamat is Asphalt based.

Is this true???

Yep, rubberized asphalt.

This is an excerpt from Dynamat's 'Spec Sheet'.

"Dynamat Xtreme is a patented, light-weight, elastomeric,

butyl and aluminum constrained-layer vibrational damper."

Excerpt from their 'Info Sheet'

"The extra sticky patented butyl layer is

formulated with VECTOR™ chemistry for the most amazing energy

conversion capabilities ever."

They don't recommend you use it for ceilings of the car

Excerpt from the info sheet.

"Use it on doors, floors, roofs"

Dynamat original is asphalt

Here is an excerpt from http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_dynamat_original.html

DYNAMAT ORIGINAL

Description:

Dynamat Original is a styrene-butyadine-rubber- based, pressure-sensitive adhesive-backed, heat bondable vibrational damper.

So is Dynamat wrong, or are you two wrong?

Dynamat original is asphalt

Here is an excerpt from http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_dynamat_original.html

DYNAMAT ORIGINAL

Description:

Dynamat Original is a styrene-butyadine-rubber- based, pressure-sensitive adhesive-backed, heat bondable vibrational damper.

So is Dynamat wrong, or are you two wrong?

Check this out

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/

That guy has done tons of research and work on that article and I think he knows what he is talking about. Dynamat probably just words it to make it sound like its better then it is.

A 3-year old product review website doesn't do much for me.

Anywho.. the guy admits Dynamat is "SBR(styrene-butadiene-rubber)/Asphalt"

I was just going off of SDS and what I read on Dynamat's site.

styrene-butadiene-rubber is a rubber compound, not sure how comparable it is to straight butyl though.

Also here is where I saw that they don't recommend Original for the roof.

http://dynamat.com/faqs_faqs.html#text3087anc

Dynamat Original is our entry-level damping material and offers the best compromise between damping efficiency and cost. It is recommended for floors, doors, side panels and the floor of the trunk. For best installation and performance, use a heat gun during installation. Dynamat Original is not recommended for locations requiring upside down installation (such as car roofs). For those locations, use either Dynamat Xtreme.

all any one needs to know is that second skin is superior to dynamat in all aspects and i can vouch from personal experience with using dynamat in my car and hearing SS in nick morgans truck. the difference would lead people to believe that there was not even an ounce of deadener in my car

Butydine and butyl are not the same thing.

I have used every deadener mentioned so far ( some that haven't ) in the past 6 months. The pro used in Nicks truck was the thickest, and heaviest by size by far. It was easy to work with ( snagged a few little pieces for key areas in Dave's car). Sticks to freaking anything so be mindful of that. For the money, I would take the second skin. Be sure to clean the area well before application. :)

i have used dynamat original, and extreme, and damplifier pro

the damplifier pro is defiantly tops imo.

i used extreme in my last vehicle because i got it for ultra cheap.

i will never use original ever again even if it was free i would take it and resell it.

it is much harder to mold than the others with out it ripping, and it only held up about a year and a half.

it started to turn brown, and got hard, and the adhesive started letting go.

i am not talking about just the edges i mean everywhere. i had areas the size of a sheet of paper pulling up and losing contact with the floor.

in my defense it was my first install over ten years ago and i was just learning. lol

i have used dynamat original, and extreme, and damplifier pro

the damplifier pro is defiantly tops imo.

i used extreme in my last vehicle because i got it for ultra cheap.

i will never use original ever again even if it was free i would take it and resell it.

it is much harder to mold than the others with out it ripping, and it only held up about a year and a half.

it started to turn brown, and got hard, and the adhesive started letting go.

i am not talking about just the edges i mean everywhere. i had areas the size of a sheet of paper pulling up and losing contact with the floor.

in my defense it was my first install over ten years ago and i was just learning. lol

THe original isn't very "moldable" at all lol, almost as "moldable" as cardboard . But I never had a problem with it letting go, that's weird. I have some old arse dynamat original on the exterior of my vehicle. It's been there for 7 years now. I still can't pull the edges up without the mat shreading. A couple members here can attest to it as they have seen it themselves. With any deadener, a clean mounting surface is key. :)

the surface was clean i stripped the inside of my truck and took a hose and car wash to it lol

i think my main problem was it was a 81 toyota which has very few trim panels or even floor carpet.

and that caused alot of sun exposure.

yes you may say will duh it is not designed for direct sun exposure.

which is true but extreme and damplifier pro hold up beautifully in the sun.

I say damp pro... though I have never used dynamat extreme I have used regular and based off those experiences choose not to use any of their product, though extreme is supposed to be good.

I have recently used a couple of second skin products including the damp pro, spectrum and spectrum sludge... and based off my experiences the only other deadener products I would use are Raamaudio's.......both those companies have great service and great product at good prices.