Woodlawn Cabinetry

Design Silverado - 2 Icon 10's Ported

Interesting port.

Interesting port.

My thoughts exactly. Tell us how it sounds :)

Port is not different than one would see or use to do a T-Type port in a ported enclosure that i have seen other enclosure designs used.

Though, in all honesty, I have serious reservations about this type of port, I know that that have been used though the port tuning is highly speculative given what the design is to bear out but that basically all changes the moment it's put in the vehicle.

I got plenty of room to do the spec's at .85 cf per subwoofer @ 33hz and do two ports but the problem there is the ports for area/size just make it slightly under the point where port noise would start to an issue and two 4" aero ports just won't float the boat either.

Phil, for future reference on any other Icon boxes you do, if you are space restricted and a little below the optimal box specs, have the customer stuff the box silly with polyfill. The Icon's will really flatten out and have a very late roll off with much less of a peak them most subs. But, some people prefer some peakiness to their sub stage. Just thought I would mention it.

Do you have a design with front firing 10s ported instead? It may give me a lil more room per sub.

Do you have a design with front firing 10s ported instead? It may give me a lil more room per sub.

Juan,

OK, I re-designed the enclosure for subs/ports firing forward and while doing so this does gain volume to bring the spec's to 1.25 cf per sub within the confines of the enclosure dimensions, it still does not do much in terms of gaining more port area given the port tuning.

At best, the maximum port area that can be achieved is 32 sq. in. which still leave the port mach slightly high, BUT, still under the point where port noise would start to happen. Keep in mind that this is at 2000 watts or 1000 watts per sub and your not going to be listening to these subs at 2000 watts every day because if ya do, you'll be deaf as stump inside a week.

IMO, 1 cf per sub at 33hz, I can get a port area of 39 sq. in. and this drops the vent mach to a more reasonable level, but, there's no way in he!! to gain a major amount of port area as to what most would like to have to 2 Icon 10's ported under the rear seat of a silverado.

Now, I can gain more port area but you'll sacrifice volume for the subs. If you want the best of both worlds ( volume and reasonable port area ) then you're going to have to increase the depth of the enclosure beyond that of the seat.

Very nice. You definitely make some very unique boxes.

Anyway that you could measure if the tuning actually comes out to 33Hz?

Any seat lift with this box?

Would you recommend any light stuffing with the current box?

Every T-port I've seen has the center section 2x the width of the the side sections. That's the only way to maintain the tuning.

you have to be careful with the dip for the trany you dont want to create residence in the box I had a box like that for my chev and it sounded like :poop: . MY advice you is to ditch the back seat get more power and subs it worth it trust me. After awhile you wont even miss the back seat.

Every T-port I've seen has the center section 2x the width of the the side sections. That's the only way to maintain the tuning.

I'd think the same thing - twice the width for the center of the T.