Basshead

32 Sundown E8's build

this is a build for 32 sundown E8 subwoofers :) powered by 2 SAZ-3000D's strapped @ 2 ohms. the box is aimed at 16 cubes, but due to the damn small space i have to work with (lol i have an SUV and i said small space :D:lol:), it's going to be 14-15 cubes. tuned at around 33-34 hz. give or take since i dno the exact box space. it might take a little while to get finished. i need 4 extra hands to hold some rings while i glue em in place to make sure i know where they go to fit all of them. top part of the clamshell wont be so bad as far as placement, but bottom sucks! i can only go so far out because the seats are in the way. i can only angle them to a certain extent because i cant let one ring overlap another because the sub will completely cover the ring. so tricky...but fun still so far. enough jabbering, i'll post some pics

first some brief pics of the goodies

Image616.jpg

Image614.jpg

VERY basically what it'll look like

clamshell.jpg

i'll have to get some more pics of the box itself next time i'm workin on it. here's some of the port in

Image625.jpg

fudgein rings made me feel like this 80 haha

Image628.jpg

Image629.jpg

spare BTL's make good weights :)

Image630.jpg

Image631.jpg

there's 3 in so far (5 of you count the 2 on the port side 8))

busy tomorrow, MIGHT get a lil time to work on it monday. can at least add the lil bit of the extra length of the port i need if anything. but i wanna get the rings in asap so i can start glassin

the curves on the edge of the box are cut out to go around the seats. (grrr...thought i had pics of that) it's kinda cool...sitting in the back feels almost like you're kinda sitting inside the box itself.

oh! i found some pics. they werent on photobucket yet.

bye bye old box :)

Image498.jpg

Image499.jpg

Image500.jpg

got the template for the sides

Image554.jpg

Image555.jpg

nice and snug

Image557.jpg

Image559.jpg

there it is sittin in there. tight fit. gonna have to go with multiple smaller batteries. might be able to fit them on the side from the inside. or under the back next to my train horns :D the woodgrain is from my old box too. got to salvage it woot! i plan on using that angled part as part of the accenting in the back when i finish it. get a nice phat

sundown decal and put it on there. nice trim...lighting...etc. not 100% on what I AM A do (gotta figure out where I AM A put the amps still too lol...i wanna display em but dont think i can), but i got some ideas.

this will be fun to watch,,, you have any pics of your suv>?

also..... whats up on those old BTL's

Image633.jpg

Image632.jpg

Image635.jpg

Image636.jpg

almost halfway there! got 2 more to put in, and the location is tricky. but...we'll see how it all turns out. top should be easier to do i'm hopin. here's some pics of my SUV jon

backcorner.jpg

PICT0076.jpg

Side.jpg

PICT0077.jpg

i dont have those wheels anymore tho. well...i do, but one has a flat so i havent replaced it yet. i want new black 22's anyway

as for the BTL's, 2 are for sale. got two possible purchases pending. so just waiting

Edited by Basshead

This should be nutty. Fun looking build.

thanks :) yeah it's pretty fun so far. the OD on the rings is the same as the OD on the 8's...so i'm hopin on some of the rings, the layup from the glass doesnt get too thick as to where i cant mount the subs. that part will be 'fun' :P

i have good news and bad news. the good news is:

Image641.jpg

:o:o:o :cray: :cray: :cray: :censored: :censored: :censored:

or could be bad news...considering how you look at it :) well...yanked the rings outas you can see. the more i looked at it...the more i figured they wouldnt be able to fit. got the bottom ones in...but you couldnt see some, some blocked the port a little (had some distance with clearance, but didnt sit well with me) and the 2 next to the port were almost blocked by the 2 in the middle. so...time to restart. i was lookin forward to the neat lookin curves and all from the box...but just not gonna happen. no more back seats now. i was kinda glad gettin back but eh...so be it. they're just collecting clothes, garbage, and empty vodka bottles :D

HOWEVER...there are many good things to come of this (really good news)

1. i now have proper airspace. last one was about 14 cubes, this one is a good 19 cubes. .6 per woofer which is what jacob recommends

2. i also now have proper port area. just over 12 sq inches per foot. port will be 5.75" high, 40" wide. going across the whole box.

3. the length of the port will be about 18" long, tuning it to around 31 to 32 hz

4. and my confidence :D

5. much smaller cabin to pressurize which hopefully means more deebeez!

now i have the proper airspace, port area/volume, and my desired tuning. and that sits better with me. rather do this right the first time instead of wasting my time on somethin that wont work out. at least i didnt waste all that resin and matting. yay me

did get a little progress done tho, between workin on my friends panel for his celica which i only got 2 pics of lol. I AM A post em in the other thread anyway

Image642.jpg

Image643.jpg

Image644.jpg

Image645.jpg

that's how it sits now. i will also be able to double baffle the speakers which i'm glad for, and i can put 16 on top and 16 on bottom, and when it gets time to wire, that'll ease things up a big visually at least. i might sneak a plexi window in the back just to see the crazy wire mess. but i dno yet. i should also be able to get this box done quicker, seeing as how i'm better with wood than fiberglass. no time consuming layup either. maybe next time :P

Image648.jpg

mapped out

Image650.jpg

test fit. like a glove! :)

Image652.jpg

Image653.jpg

WHEW! halfway there

Image654.jpg

started cuttin on the other baffle. then the damn battery died. then i got a couple more cut...then i dropped the damn router lol. broke the circle jig :( where the screws mount to the router...they popped off and broke the plastic. BALLS! so...before i go to buy another...i tried to rig it up and save some cash. drilled into the jig a lil to recess the screws, and put washers on it. fixed it right up :)

Image656.jpg

that's all i got for now since the battery died on my phone. but as it stands, i went to test fit some more holes...and the fudgeers are to small around the flush mount part :censored: go figure. hopefully when i go to round off the edges, that'll help act as a lil funnel and i can make the bishes fit. it's just barely off, so i'm not toooo worried about it. i'll figure somethin out.

Image666.jpg

Image667.jpg

1x2's to hold the baffle in place

Image668.jpg

Image669.jpg

since i used two different pieces of wood for the walls, i glued and screwed little pieces of wood where they meet to help seal and strengthen it. maybe not the best idea...but i didnt wanna spend another 50 bucks on wood. and this will work out ok so it's all good

Image670.jpg

baffle mocked in

Image665.jpg

bedlined painted. not as textured as i thought...but it's ok, i still like it

not much to look at...but i've been chipping away still. tomorrow i should get both baffles in, and the port in and then i should be ready to put the speakers in.

Image671.jpg

both baffles in

Image672.jpg

braced

Image673.jpg

do work son! amatt from SMD came up to help a brotha out

Image674.jpg

painted the ports

Image676.jpg

little bit of filler just to cover the gaps. was gonna sand it more hardcore but 1, couldnt find my belt sander (just like EVERYTHING else we looked for lol) and 2, whenever i make lil panels for it, it'll hide it all anyway.

Image677.jpg

Image678.jpg

Image679.jpg

Image681.jpg

Image682.jpg

the clouds looked somethin fierce. had crazy rain and some tornado warnings. but we had work to do :P

Image683.jpg

Image684.jpg

Image685.jpg

my favorite pic. if you look closely, you can see a face in the clouds. like a profile pic

Image686.jpg

it's smiling, you can see the teeth, then the long nose above it, then the eyes and cheek bone and everything. i took it by accident and think it's cool :P but a little weather wouldnt stop us :D

couple more misc. pics from the other guys' cameras

DSCF18811.jpg

DSCF18891.jpg

DSCF18941.jpg.

DSCF18991.jpg

DSCF18951.jpg

and that's how it's sittin now. tomorrow after work i'm going to tune the amps. with about 1/4 to 1/2 power, it was about as loud as my old setup. and then i have to work on sealing off the sides and all to keep everything up front

looks like florida rain.

Yikes. Gotta love wiring up that one.

that face pic is badass but you outlined it wrong, the chin comes out a little further and is very pointy.

same here, but the eyebrow is pretty satanic as well

That's a badass cloud! The build looks great too.

That looks like some of the rain we had here. Dark clouds that roll then the sky is green behind the slouds. Immediately followed by gusts of wind and heavy rainfall. I love thunderstorms :)

i see side show bob... hair and all... im not gonna take the time to photo shop.

this is a great build,

i'm about to head out and tune the amps and mount them up if i got the screws lol.

i can see the chin, teeth, eye brow, eye, cheek bone, and a little bit of an ear on that face. it's crazy