sundownz

Prototype Big Boy SPL Motor

SPL-X_1_web.jpg

10" diameter slugs, triple stacked.

The pole flare is a bit shallower and narrower than I wanted... but we'll see how it does with testing. I have the coils, spiders, cones, etc waiting for it here!

Picture is from the factory, it's on the way to me soon :)

Not showing the other side of the motor yet, sorry guys!

And before anyone asks... no ETA on production, I still haven't tested this prototype yet!

really neat jacob. 3" coil?

Yessir! I'm testing some trickery in the motor to get the most thermal handling from the 3" coil :) Which is why there aren't any more pictures right now. I'll be sure to post test results when I start getting some.

The "standard" coil is an 8-layer round, and I will be testing a 10-layer flat coil for SPL burps - could take a while to get it just right, but it'll be an option.

These will all be custom to order drivers - whatever # of spiders, two different cone types (maybe more later), two coil type options (maybe a third option, copper coil for lower Fs), and two impedance options (at first, maybe more later).

This is my first round prototype, so, if I find my 3" coil / cooling tricks don't get it where I want the next step is a 4" coil.

again.. very nice. maybe there is finally something in the sundonw camp to interest me :neil:

ill be following this. and you have pm:)

holly mother of sexy motor lol is that a 15"basket? looks like my DD might be playing music nex year if these are done by 09 lol

holly mother of sexy motor lol is that a 15"basket? looks like my DD might be playing music nex year if these are done by 09 lol

Oh yah, it is a 15" basket.

Sickkkkk. Will this be like the btl and mt....as far as being able to play music but geared for spl?

The standard coil will be good for music -- the 10-layer coil will probably have so much BL it'll be useless for music.

damn makes the basket look small...also are these motors american, korean, chinese (not that i mind being any of them but probably a question many would like to know) :)

damn makes the basket look small...also are these motors american, korean, chinese (not that i mind being any of them but probably a question many would like to know) :)

The motors are Chinese built to my specifications - the soft parts, glues, and coils are American.

Regardless of assembly point almost all motor parts will come from China anyway - especially magnets. Almost all baskets come from China as well, as will these.

The motors are Chinese built to my specifications - the soft parts, glues, and coils are American.

Regardless of assembly point almost all motor parts will come from China anyway - especially magnets. Almost all baskets come from China as well, as will these.

nice.... although i believe the chinese can make just as high of quality stuff as the americans, that is an impressive roster for sure:D

^^^yeah but thats like a needle in a hay stack...hard to find lol... anyways i imagine you chose the best for these motors

Edited by danracer

^^^yeah but thats like a needle in a hay stack...hard to find lol

I agree... I went through about 10 factories trying to find someone to build the SAE line.

The Chinese make fine motors in my experience, being that they make almost all the parts anyway for motors assembled in other countries :)

Looks good Jacob, thanks for keeping us Sundown fans in the loop.

Wow. is there going to be a 18''???

Yah, these will ALL be made to order. So - 12s, 15s, 18s.

Once I get more baskets and motors the Nightshades will be built to order as well and the 18s will become available.

Is there an extreme shortage on baskets and motors latly? seems like everyone is at a stand still with this problem

Is there an extreme shortage on baskets and motors latly? seems like everyone is at a stand still with this problem

Not really - just that all my current Nightshades in 12s and 15s are pre-built "stock" and I only brought in a couple of extra motors, and no 18" baskets. I bought some baskets from Fi and DC (thanks Scott and Rusty) to build some 18s for Team guys and a few dealers... and now I'm out of 18" baskets and extra Nightshade motors until I get more in.

I'm going to transition to Nightshades and "higher" being built custom to order so I don't end up over-stocked on certain sizes and not having any of other sizes.

remember jacob you still have to build me some subs thatll take 5200RMS daily for music :)

Wow. is there going to be a 18''???

Yah, these will ALL be made to order. So - 12s, 15s, 18s.

Once I get more baskets and motors the Nightshades will be built to order as well and the 18s will become available.

beasts i say.. beasts!