i have a router but dont know how to make the circle cutouts and do curves on wood. can i get some help? thanx

Edited by carguy6702

to do circle cut outs, you need a circle jig. go to www.partsexpress.com they have some.

Step1

Always use a sharp bit. Dull edges make for more work.

Step2

Clamp the work securely.

Step3

Fasten a piece of wood the same thickness as the workpiece to your bench. Use it to support the router and prevent wobbling, which can ruin your work.

Step4

Feed the router from left to right so that the cutting edge of the bit meets the wood first.

Step5

Make a series of shallow passes, gradually extending the bit. A deep pass can bind, burn the wood or twist the tool in your hands.

Step6

Don't push the router. That causes the engine to slow, which in turn slows the blade. You're more likely to get chips and splinters this way, and it's possible to burn the wood this way as well.

Step7

Use an edge guide whenever possible - freehand cutting requires patience, steady hands and practice.

Step8

Start routing somewhere other than on an edge (plunge cutting) by starting the motor and lowering the spinning blade into the work.

TO cut curves, I use a flush trim bit. Make my curve pattern out of some 1/2" ply and a jig saw. Then I can use the flush trim bit and the template to cut as many identical pieces as I need :)

thanx for the info guys.

this weekend I'm going to try something on spare wood.

Nice write-up Ramos!

Just be careful when using plywood for patterns and a flush trim bit as if you have a void in the ply that the bearing will hit, it will follow through to your final piece.

Nice write-up Ramos!

Just be careful when using plywood for patterns and a flush trim bit as if you have a void in the ply that the bearing will hit, it will follow through to your final piece.

True . Forgot about that. 1/2" mdf works quite well too. I like to make it out of 1/2" hardstock just in case I need it later for another project. :)

If I'm doing a through cut, I always use a spiral upcut bit and do it in one steady pass. Reduces end loading on the bit wicht reduces bit flex which extends bit life. Also makes for a nice smooth edge on the cut.

And never, ever, ever cut rings the way Ramos does :D

Although he does amazing work...believe it :P

Do as I say and not as I do :)

^ If this is an attempt to get 25 posts so you can sell something, you are most likely going to fail..

Edit: you will fail