spikyho

Dual 1 or Dual 2 Fi Q

So I've decided to get a sundown SAE-1000D to go with a 12" Fi Q and I have one question before I go ahead and order them. For the sundown amp, do I want to order the Q with the dual 1 or dual 2 ohm option? And would I need the BP power option as well? Thanks

Ryan

dunno about the bp power, i'm sure it's not a must have, as i ran way more than 1kw to mine, but you may want to have it (never heard a Q with it)

you want the D2, so you can parallel it to 1ohm. That is assuming your putting 1sub on 1amp

How much harder does a 12" sub hit than a 10"? Its only $10 more but I'm looking to save some space. Is sacrificing a bit of space and $10 bucks worth getting a 12?

Spikyho

in my 15 years as an installer and over 20 years into this hobby...

If you have the space for a 12" and already you have a small bit of "want" for a 12" i can assure you that you should go with a 12"... Granted a 10 can be made to sound like a 12" but if your already doubting your choice in a 10 then i can almost cetrainly tell you, deep down inside you want the 12... just look my man your already rationalizing with the price lol...

My advice, if you got the room spend the extra 10 bucks and get a 12, that way, you will have no doubts it was the right choice..

Subs are like chics.. if you can afford an upgrade why wouldn't you ??

LOL

BP option increases power handling to somewhere close to 1300 watts...

The sundown puts out 1000 watts... no BP option needed...

Spikyho

in my 15 years as an installer and over 20 years into this hobby...

If you have the space for a 12" and already you have a small bit of "want" for a 12" i can assure you that you should go with a 12"... Granted a 10 can be made to sound like a 12" but if your already doubting your choice in a 10 then i can almost cetrainly tell you, deep down inside you want the 12... just look my man your already rationalizing with the price lol...

My advice, if you got the room spend the extra 10 bucks and get a 12, that way, you will have no doubts it was the right choice..

Subs are like chics.. if you can afford an upgrade why wouldn't you ??

LOL

BP option increases power handling to somewhere close to 1300 watts...

The sundown puts out 1000 watts... no BP option needed...

Haha good point man. The only thing is, I was reading up on the recommended enclosure sizes for the Q and since I'm doing a sealed set up to save space the sizes for the enclosures were like .2-.6 for a 10 and then .8-1.6 for the 12. But, I think I may just end up going for the 12" just based on the fact that I'll probably hate myself if I don't. Seriously tho, does a 12 hit that much harder/louder?

I don't want to thread Hi-jack but could someone link me to a site where I can learn myself on the relationship between Subs and Amps for ohms? Thanks a lot. :-).

Haha good point man. The only thing is, I was reading up on the recommended enclosure sizes for the Q and since I'm doing a sealed set up to save space the sizes for the enclosures were like .2-.6 for a 10 and then .8-1.6 for the 12. But, I think I may just end up going for the 12" just based on the fact that I'll probably hate myself if I don't. Seriously tho, does a 12 hit that much harder/louder?

i imagine that a 12" would hit harder/louder because the 12" has more surface area than a ten.

Go 12". Get it done! Stop messing around.

Word. Where's a good place to buy a sealed enclosure (online) and what volume would you guys recommend?

Word. Where's a good place to buy a sealed enclosure (online) and what volume would you guys recommend?

your local home depot or lowes will be the best place for an enclosure. its cheaper there, plus its custom.

Not so sure a Q is up your alley since you used the dumb arse term "hit" :( On top of that, I don't think you are a sealed guy.

And most importantly, if your goal is to buy a pre-fab box you really, really need to rethink that. You need to have one built for that driver otherwise you are really wasting some money.

Not so sure a Q is up your alley since you used the dumb arse term "hit" :( On top of that, I don't think you are a sealed guy.

And most importantly, if your goal is to buy a pre-fab box you really, really need to rethink that. You need to have one built for that driver otherwise you are really wasting some money.

I think the term "hit" is used rather loosely. The average person doesn't really know what "hitting" sounds like.

just follow the speaker recommendations and you will do fine with a sealed box, they are easy to build.... goto lowes or home depot get 1 sheet of 3/4 mdf, some form of wood glue ( i like titebond or liquid nails), and if you want more strength use a nail gun

Uh, so using the term hit automatically means I don't care about sound quality? Just because I want to make sure my sub can "hit" and move some air doesn't mean that I don't want to add some low end extension to my music.

Yes, unfortunately it does. Also thinking that adding low end extension to your music means you aren't really caring about SQ.

also if you were looking for sq this wouldn't be a question "How much harder does a 12" sub hit than a 10"?"

Not being insulting but the more we realize what you are looking for the better we can suggest. I'm also 100% with him that sealed is not what you're looking for. You need ported and probably around 35'ish hz

Yes, unfortunately it does. Also thinking that adding low end extension to your music means you aren't really caring about SQ.

also if you were looking for sq this wouldn't be a question "How much harder does a 12" sub hit than a 10"?"

Not being insulting but the more we realize what you are looking for the better we can suggest. I'm also 100% with him that sealed is not what you're looking for. You need ported and probably around 35'ish hz

Well here's my original post where I was wondering what sub and amp to get:

I just got a brand new mazda 3 hatchback and I'm looking to upgrade the stock sound system with a sub and amp. My budget for an amp and sub is gonna be about $500 but I can stretch it to $600 if absolutely necessary. I've been reading the forums and am currently leaning towards running either a 10" or 12" Fi Q in a sealed box in order to save trunk space. I listen mainly to rap and hip hop but I also listen to some rock like radiohead, chili peppers, and rage against the machine. Basically my goals are to get a good SQ type sub that will add a good low end sound to rock songs but will also have enough thump to hit as hard as my friend's two 10" toxic audio subs (he has them in the trunk of a pontiac grand am). Do you think the Q is a good idea for what I'm trying to do? And also, what amp do you think would be good to pair with this sub? Thanks