Sign in to follow this  
Mike P.

Mach 5 Audio IXL-12.2.2 HT

The wife has a pair of Braxton Audio tower speakers in her work out room. These speakers are lacking in low end output and the wife asked if I could add a sub woofer to her system. She uses her system for watching movies, TV, and listening to music. I have a retired pair of 12" Shiva sonotubes that haven't been used since I built my pair of IXL-18's. Long story short, both Shiva tubes have a "clicking" sound when demands are put on them. I modeled the IXL-12 in 3.5 cu.ft., the net volume of the Shiva tube, and it looks good.

IXL-12.jpg

IXL-12 arrives.

IXLArrives.jpg

Original Shiva sonotubes.

P1090036.jpg

IXL-12 and 3.5 cu. ft. tube.

IXL-12NewHome.jpg

Removal of 12" Shiva.

ShivaRemoval.jpg

Comparison of Shiva and IXL-12. I remember paying $180 a piece for the Shiva's years ago, which is the same price as the IXL-12 today. It just goes to show how far subs have come in the last few years!Comparison2.jpg

Comparison.jpg

Inside the sono tube.

InsideTube.jpg

Got lucky! The sub cut out and bolt holes lined up perfectly!

DirectFit.jpg

I had to add 10 inches on to the port length to lower the tuning to 18hz. The Shiva was tuned to 22hz.

PortExtended.jpg

I moved an Atlas 15" aside and hooked up the IXL-12 to do some testing.

FinalSpot.jpg

I powered the IXL-12 with a 360 watt plate amp and turned off all other subs. No break in period, put in a test tone CD and cranked it up. I'm amazed with what this sub can do. I was not expecting this kind of output from a 12 inch sub. The sound was excellent, no mudiness or boominess, just loud clean bass. Test tones in the 16hz to 20hz region made the walls vibrate and shake, the same as my larger subs do.

With 360 watts input, this sub is no where near it's maximum excursion and port noise was a non issue. To get the most from this sub, 800 watts input would be about right in this net volume and a 18 hz subsonic filter should be applied. Port diameter would have to be increased to avoid port chuffing.

Now I have to install this sub in a 12' x 8' work out room. I can't wait to see the expression on my wife's face when she hears it for the first time!

Very nice choice in sub, and very nice sonotube.

looks great. I have been fascinated by sonotubes since the first one I saw.

hmm.. i like. lots. can you tell me where i can find more info on how to build one? where/what supplies, etc? at any rate, nice choice in woofers, you should be pleased for years to come!

Here's a few sonosub builds.

http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub.html

http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/sonostart.php

Notice the use of ready rod to join the endcaps in the above link. Not many doing that anymore as a double layer of MDF on each end is strong enough.

Here is some free software to help with the design of a sonosub.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm

Also do a search on Google "Images" for sonosub to give you an idea on the different types of finishes.

The cool thing about Sono builds is you can bang one off in less than a day. Plus they are light and easy to move. Oh, and cheap too...

Hi Mike.

Looks good. I took an IXL 12 home yesterday and will use it for a HT sub. I had been thinking box, but I am liking the look of your sono build.

Can you add in some details about the finshing.

I was thinking of using a 300W Bash amp. How much power are you feeding yours? I am toying with the idea of a 500W amp, but really, that will only provide about 2 dB more.

Cheers.

Edited by gmilitano

The sonotube I used for this "retrofit" was from a Shiva build and the net volume of this tube (height) is not ideal for the IXL-12. The problem is with the vent airspeed being too high with only one 4 inch port. With a single 4 inch flared port with an input power of 360 watts, the port airspeed is way past the point of compression. A proper designed HT cabinet for this sub should be 4 cubic feet net volume tuned to 20 hz with two 4 inch flared ports 39 inches long, or a slot port the same length with an area of 25 square inches. With this porting airspeed would be 21 m/s at 20 hz with 500 watts of input power. If input power were to be increased to 800 watts, the Xmax would still be within limits and the airspeed would be 26 m/s, just below the point of compression. A subsonic filter would be needed at 18 hz with this design. A sonotube build is not out of the question, but incorporating two 4 inch flared ports 39 inches long would be a challenge. The use of elbows would probably be required.

As for finishing the sonotube, I did it the easy way. Both endcaps were primed with a latex primer and then I applied two coats of latex semi gloss black paint. The tube was also primed and painted black, and then covered in grill cloth. The cloth is wrapped around the tube, overlapped an inch or so, and fastened with velcro.

Edited by Mike P.

At first I thought they were TLs then i saw the port, lol. Boxes look really nice, and the sonotubes do look appealing, if you wana try a TL then go for it and if it doesn't work make a little cut, seal one end and add a port.