hilton

rl-i 10 q's

I have some questions about the RL-I 10" Sound Splinter sub. Right now, I'm running a RF 601S that is rated at 300x2 at 2 ohms and 600x1 bridged at 4ohms. It has a maximum peak of 900x2 at 2ohms or 1800 rated watts bridged at 4ohms. Can this sub handle that peak? Cause that's how I blew my Cerwin Vega Vega10D4s.

I want to purchase two of these subs, and hook them up to the RF amp. Got a box, and just want to clear this up. Thanks for the help!

I also remember that the amp is underrated, so it probably puts out more than it's rated.

edit: I also just saw that the RL-I isnt recommended for vented enclosures, and they dont have a 10" premium series. I'm trying to find great subs to fit in my box that is vented and was previously designed for two cerwin vega vega10d4s. 1.75 cuft tuned to 34Hz.

I also remember that the amp is underrated, so it probably puts out more than it's rated.

edit:  I also just saw that the RL-I isnt recommended for vented enclosures, and they dont have a 10" premium series.  I'm trying to find great subs to fit in my box that is vented and was previously designed for two cerwin vega vega10d4s.  1.75 cuft tuned to 34Hz.

a pair will handle that amp fairly easily, mike is throwing 3000wrms at a pair of rl-i's. of course enclosure is everything. mike has recommended a vented design for the rl-i's, but i don't recall what it was.

the 1.75ft^3 was for both subs? if so, i don't think u'll have any problem running the rl-i's.

email mike@soundsplinter.com with the complete dimensions of ur enclosure(if he doesn't get here in time), include port area as well. he'll be able to better answer the question.

but from my experience, i think a pair of th rl-i's would indeed be a great choice to replace the cv's...i once blew a pair of cv vegad4's immediately after they were installed. great sounding, not the loudest and in my experience, not reliable. the sounsplinter's on the other hand.....low, loud and clean. awesome subs!!

hope that helps a little...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

that was 1.75 cuft for each sub. I was fairly concerned about the port area, it's a pretty small port. dbimage.jpg

I think it measures 1.5"x 11.25" for each port, pretty skinny for a port. Kicks ass with those cv's. They just wont handle the power.

that was 1.75 cuft for each sub.  I was fairly concerned about the port area, it's a pretty small port. dbimage.jpg

I think it measures 1.5"x 11.25" for each port, pretty skinny for a port.  Kicks ass with those cv's.  They just wont handle the power.

well, i think mike recommends something like 20in^2 of port and ur at (really close) 17in^2..so there might be a touch of noise...but i doubt it would be anything u would hear.

1.75ft^3 per sub? that's pretty big for a daily and 10's. the rl-i's would more then likely live happily in there, especially sending them the 300-400wrms u amp will send each sub.

i'd vote that u get them...u'll love them! and at $292 for a pair, their not what i would call expensive. go for it dude!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

sounds like I found a winner, and Im glad :lol: I've been on this search for quite sometime. Was going to go for the RE SE10s, but they're a little more expensive, and I've heard nothing but good things for sound splinter off of this forum. Im gonna go with the RL-I, but I'll let Mike give his input on the box here.

I would think the SEs and RL-Is are very comparable, I have not heard the SoundSplinters yet, but by specs they should be close

It'd also be pretty cool to help mike out too haha Money coming in isnt usually a bad thing.

Heya Hilton,

Been away for the Holidays, hence the delayed response. I should be returning to my usual hours by the end of this week. Unfortunately I caught a bug from my one of my nieces/nephews up here in Oregon that has me quite ill so hopefully I'll be on the mend soon :(

The 150 - 300 wrms you're planning on feeding each driver will work just fine for a vented RL-i enclosure. If you click on the "Not Recommended" link in the enclosure recommendations, you'll be taken to our Online FAQ which does offer the following ported enclosure rec's for the RL-i series drivers:

RL-i10 Vented: 1.8 - 2.5 ft3 tuned to 25 Hz with a 4" x 20" long vent

RL-i12 Vented: 3 ft3 tuned to 22 Hz with a 4" x 20" long vent

I hope that the 1.75 cu ft measure you offered up was per driver, as if not, I would not recommend housing two RL-i's in the box unless you remodeled it. It looks to me as if both your drivers are in their own enclosures side by side, in which case your current setup will perform acceptably with the RL-i10's, but your port area may not be optimal so it's up to you whether or not you want to try it out, as you may end up having to modify your enclosure for optimal performance.

Let me know if you have any other questions.. I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP but until this coming weekend my schedule will be irregular.

i'll trade you 2 incriminator audio 187 10s for 2 rl-i10s ;)

i'll pay the shipping

the interest in the Soundsplinter subs is growing all over the net, its sweet to watch the company grow

the interest in the Soundsplinter subs is growing all over the net, its sweet to watch the company grow

Yea it is pretty cool. I always figured the products I carry (at the price I offer) would speak for themselves

..looks like they're doing just that! :woot: B)

First priority at the moment is to restock 15" drivers.. those things went like hotcakes... and to think, I bought the least 15's out of any of my sizes :glare: At least now I know.. crazy2.gif

Next I'll be working on either 8" or 18" drivers, as well as a more powerful series.. but like I've said before, those may take a little while (i'd estimate between March and June :finger:

Mike have you thought of offering a 15" RL-i for people that want the quality of a SoundSplinter but can't afford a RL-p?

but the RL-p 8" and uber woofer are exciting to look forward to

Yea it is pretty cool.  I always figured the products I carry (at the price I offer) would speak for themselves

..looks like they're doing just that!  :woot:   B)

i guess my blatant shouting didn't help any?? :finger::sadwavey::faintthud:

i think it's kewl i got one of the first ones to be known about on the boards..

and i don't think it's just the product selling itself here either..i think it's the fact mike takes the time to answer every email and be honest in them. the customer courtesy is so far above and beyond others, it isn't even funny.

i still think i mighta had a little something to do with SS's name getting spread around...some..a little.... :finger: maybe..

Next I'll be working on either 8" or 18" drivers, as well as a more powerful series.. but like I've said before, those may take a little while (i'd estimate between March and June)

i think the 8's would be killer......the UC's next.......maybe even a 10" rl-p..and a 15" rl-i.....offer a 8" UC...yeah!!! that would be kewl..(if nothing else, make one or two for me..hehe)

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

> Mike have you thought of offering a 15" RL-i

Yes, but I have a few reasons why I don't think I will do this. Mainly the fact that people using 15" drivers tend to be the type of people that would be more likely to push their hardware to its limits.. and quite frankly, I just don't want to throw a 15" cone on the TC2+ motor which has a smaller voicecoil than the Premium motors. I want to ensure that the products I carry have a very low rate of failure, and I'm afraid that people might over-estimate the capability of an RL-i15 and would rather offer less options to ensure that all the options I do offer are rock solid.

I will have a new line launched hopefully by early summer that will feature another 15" model. It may not carry as thrifty a price tag as you would hope for in the proposed RL-i15, but it'll kick ass :ph34r:

> i guess my blatant shouting didn't help any??

Haha, are you kidding?! You're the man, without the wonderful support of people like you it would've been tougher (and more expensive wink2.gif) to get the word out there. I definitely can't fail to recognize the awesome power of word of mouth and I thank you! heart.gif

that makes sence, I have 2500 - 2700 that is supposed to go to one 15 for my daily which proves your point :P , but are you saying there will be 4 lines from Sound Splinter?

1- RL-i's

2- RL-p's

3- proposed new line including the 15 mentioned

4- UC crazy uber woofer

am I close?

Yes, but I have a few reasons why I don't think I will do this.  Mainly the fact that people using 15" drivers tend to be the type of people that would be more likely to push their hardware to its limits.. and quite frankly, I just don't want to throw a 15" cone on the TC2+ motor which has a smaller voicecoil than the Premium motors.  I want to ensure that the products I carry have a very low rate of failure, and I'm afraid that people might over-estimate the capability of an RL-i15 and would rather offer less options to ensure that all the options I do offer are rock solid. 

I will have a new line launched hopefully by early summer that will feature another 15" model.  It may not carry as thrifty a price tag as you would hope for in the proposed RL-i15, but it'll kick ass :ph34r:

hmmmmm.....4 lines of soundsplinter....

u are indeed growing!! awesome! :woot::woot:

> i guess my blatant shouting didn't help any??

Haha, are you kidding?!  You're the man, without the wonderful support of people like you it would've been tougher (and more expensive wink2.gif) to get the word out there.  I definitely can't fail to recognize the awesome power of word of mouth and I thank you! heart.gif

nah..i'm just yanking ur chain...i still think it's ur customer courtesy, even if they never bought anything, that won ppl over. it surprised the hell outa me when u (somewhat)posted ur age over at ca.com. i figured u were easily my age. the way u handle yourself and ur business definitely belies ur age.

i'm glad i could be part of getting the word spread, but if u didn't back up what i was spouting, it never would have mattered. :+1:

keep up the great work!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:slayer:

that makes sence, I have 2500 - 2700 that is supposed to go to one 15 for my daily which proves your point :P ,  but are you saying there will be 4 lines from Sound Splinter?

1- RL-i's

2- RL-p's

3- proposed new line including the 15 mentioned

4- UC crazy uber woofer

am I close?

Well I'll likely only introduce one extra line at a time. Not sure if I will run with the tentative "UC" label either, as something more 'ultimate' is always bound to come out year after year wink2.gif

The new 15" I'm proposing will likely be based on the TC3HP or LMT motor technology. The LMT is up in the air though since it hasn't been used in any massive production yet, and it may be offered as an exclusive 1 year contract to another company. I just have to wait and see on that one.. keep your fingers crossed (I know I will) tongue2.gif

that makes sence, I have 2500 - 2700 that is supposed to go to one 15 for my daily which proves your point :P ,

from what I understand is that Eclipse is the one that is tossing around the idea about the LMT motor, I think it should be no question to sign the contract, because your name is out and synonomus (sp??) with a technology you have a major jump on the competition

humm but maybe I need to start saving my pennies and look for a buyer for my H2

Yes, but I have a few reasons why I don't think I will do this.  Mainly the fact that people using 15" drivers tend to be the type of people that would be more likely to push their hardware to its limits.. and quite frankly, I just don't want to throw a 15" cone on the TC2+ motor which has a smaller voicecoil than the Premium motors.  I want to ensure that the products I carry have a very low rate of failure, and I'm afraid that people might over-estimate the capability of an RL-i15 and would rather offer less options to ensure that all the options I do offer are rock solid.

Well, an RL-i15 would be in the same price bracket as the Adire Tempest, Dayton Titanic, and Ascendant Atlas. All three of these are relatively low-power woofers, and it looks like their websites make certain that everyone knows it. I

whewwwww..

i hit both of those.. :woot::woot::woot::ohsnap:

that an idmax in the back?

but the LMT proto sure is sweet....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: