Sign in to follow this  
Eeep

Double front necessary?

Hi guys!

I am about to build my first box. The sub is a rli-10 DVC. The sealed box will be about 11 x 11 x 13.6. I was going to use MDF 3/4. Inside volume then equals ~ 0.64^3, which is just shy of the recommended size for this sub in a sealed box. (recommended size = 0.65)

I was reading on Crutchfield that they recommend a double layer of MDF on the side where you mount the sub. That would really cut into my box volume. It's a tight squeeze as it is and I can't really make the box any bigger. My question is if you think a double layer is needed on such a small box.

Also.. I would really like to make the box even smaller. Say like cut the depth of it by another inch. That would make the volume about ~ 0.57^3. Would that still be okay?

An Alpine PDX-5 will power the sub. I guess it will get about 300W.

Thanks!

Edited by Eeep

Hi guys!

I am about to build my first box. The sub is a rli-10 DVC. The sealed box will be about 11 x 11 x 13.6. I was going to use MDF 3/4. Inside volume then equals ~ 0.64^3, which is just shy of the recommended size for this sub in a sealed box. (recommended size = 0.65)

I was reading on Crutchfield that they recommend a double layer of MDF on the side where you mount the sub. That would really cut into my box volume. It's a tight squeeze as it is and I can't really make the box any bigger. My question is if you think a double layer is needed on such a small box.

Also.. I would really like to make the box even smaller. Say like cut the depth of it by another inch. That would make the volume about ~ 0.57^3. Would that still be okay?

An Alpine PDX-5 will power the sub. I guess it will get about 300W.

Thanks!

you dont need to have a double baffle, it will be fine. my box has only one layer and its still very sturdy.

With such a small box/little power etc. double baffle wouldn't be necessary. If you're going sealed don't forgot about the polyfill option =)

Necessary isn't really a valid way of describing what you expect. I would surely tend to use at least a double and personally did even for my Rli8, but my definition of necessary perhaps is different than yours.

remember Soundsplinter says the box can be 0.4 - 0.95 cu ft net volume sealed, but the say optimal is .65cu ft. going smaller should be fine, then just fill with some polyfill and you can "in theroy" gain some of the cu ft back.

Necessary isn't really a valid way of describing what you expect. I would surely tend to use at least a double and personally did even for my Rli8, but my definition of necessary perhaps is different than yours.

Necessary in the sense that it will break, if I don't have a double layer in front. If the chance of it breaking with regular use is less than 5%, I can live with it. If it's more I'd like to have double layers.

It occurs to me that there is a trade off. Either have sturdy box or a have a box that is the optimal size :P

As for polyfill, I had not considered that, but now I will!

I wouldn't worry about not having a double front baffle. That box is so small that I don't really know that it would help at all. and as for space concerns, I'd try it with that size for a while to see how you like it, then maybe add polyfill as others have suggested and compare. You can always take the polyfill back out.

Post up some pictures when you get it built. :)

Also for the baffle, you can always build without, then add it later if you want. :)

I finally got the box made. I still need to carpet it though. See picture below. I'll post another picture when it's installed in the car.

I have another question I hope you can help me with.

I have this PDX-5 Alpine amp. How would I hook up my up my DVC sub? I used to know how to figure out ohms and watts, but I forgot :(

It has 75 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 or 2 ohms. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FKf9gic1CgY/A....aspx?i=500PDX5

2728648311_d2d475ce4a_b.jpg

Thanks!

I figure I need to run the VCs in a parallel configuration.

I guess just connect the + on the speaker terminal on the back of the box to the plus on the first VC and run a wire from that "+" to the "+" on the second VC and then do the same for the negatives? That is run; connect the "-" on the speaker terminal at the back of the box to the "-" on the first VC, and in turn hook that "-" to the "-" on the second VC.

The amp should then see a 2 ohm load if I am getting this right.

Seems I could have gotten a single VC with this amp.

Can someone confirm that I got that right? It's my first setup and I don't want to get it wrong. Get it right the first time and all that ...

Much appreciated!

Thanks!