pipes

RL-p 18

So I got an RL-p 18 off a guy on ROE. Decided to try my hand at building a box myself this time.

The box is Approximately 6.2 cubic feet net ported to about 27 hertz. I say approximate because it has curved boards and I didn't bother busting out those formulas...

So here's some pics. The funny part is, what I thought is/was the toughest part, the curved flares, came out way better than I had hoped they would let alone thought they would. I did the math, drew out where they should end up, then had a friend help me bend them (2 hands simply wasn't enough) and they ended up spot on. All my other easy cuts? Typically a blade's width off.. made for some interesting clamping getting it glued and screwed. Alright, no more delays...

Board sliced, partly secured and ready to bend.

IMAGE_083.jpg

My bending buddy making some holes to secure it soon as we bend it.

IMAGE_084.jpg

Don't have pics of filling the cuts with resin.. didn't have time or hands enough to grab the phone while we were bending it.

My clamps. Nothing but the finest equipment.

IMAGE_085.jpg

Making sure we're on.

IMAGE_086.jpg

Resining up the inside of the curve

IMAGE_087.jpg

IMAGE_088.jpg

Fast forward. After finishing the bends I went to work on trying my hand at glassing some kick pods while the flares set. The rest of the work I got done that night didn't turn out well on the camera phone due to lack of lighting. All the picks look like brown blobs. So now the main port board is set, and I'm working on the back port boards going towards the center.

IMAGE_099.jpg

45*s are set ready for the back panel. You can see my saw blade wide off... took some filing work to get the corner to lay flush.

IMAGE_100.jpg

Getting close now, ports are all in, one more set of 45s in the middle to flare into the ports and we're on the home stretch.

IMAGE_102.jpg

Back 45s are set. I rounded the corner. It creates a flare from about 4.5 inches from the 45s to the end of the board gradually to the 3" port width.

IMAGE_105.jpg

Trying to decide where to put the dowel braces. Decided to only go with two. You'll see em in a later pic.

IMAGE_107.jpg

The semi-finished product. Still need to do some finish work. Cut the double baffle and laminate it to the top. But, I do believe she's functional as is.

IMAGE_108.jpg

A little bit better pic of the interals and the flared port.

IMAGE_109.jpg

Well that's the only pics I took that turned out half way decent. I was using a camera phone, so that obviously effected the quality of the pics. I know it's not the prettiest box, but I do think my idea was good and just wish I had been able to execute it that little bit better. However, it's good and solid and no gaps where there shouldn't be. So it'll work. And, of course, the next one will be better! Live and learn.

Feel free to make lots of comments; good, bad, ugly... I can handle 'em all.

Also, sorry for the side-ways pics. I have every confidence you can deal with it, though!

looks good for a first box. give us a review when you get the sub in and fired up

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

looks good for a first box. give us a review when you get the sub in and fired up

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I can only agree with that statement.

Interesting design. Look forward to the install and the review. :)

Well my old equipment is getting switched out with the new stuff tomorrow. I didn't get time to finish the box the way it should have been finished (proper sanding, maybe some filler before hand in a few key spots). The curved board is painted black, but I didn't have time to sand it or anything so it doesn't look so hot. Rest of the box will be carpeted, and seeing as how it's in the trunk I'm not terribly concerned about it. If at some point I decent to enter it in a show or whatnot I'll yank the box and sand/repaint the port board.

I finished my first set of kick pods Wednesday... gotta say I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. Some small mistakes obviously for my first try but not too shabby. Even got some props from the local fiberglass guru. One side looks smaller than the other, but when we measured them they were both within a few tablespoons of being .3ft^3 each... not too bad. They're for Dayton Reference RS100 (4 inch fullrange driver) and Vifa XT25. My hands don't fit through the cut outs so a couple of my buddies whose hands do fit helped me out and we had a Sculpe Claying session. Lowered the resonance quite nicely! Got em carpeted up and just waiting the wiring job.

So, old equipment list.

Sources

Alpine IVA-D300

Alpine 3545 Active Dividing Network

Speakers

Mpyre 65M(s)

Seas 29TFF/W

RE SX 12" D4

Amplifiers

Crossfire 1502 (Mids)

(2) Eclipse EA2000 (1 per Tweeter)

Crossfire 2000D (SX)

New Equipment

Sources

Alpine IVA-D300

Alpine 3545 Active Dividing Network

Speakers

Mpyre 65m's

Dayton RS100's

Vifa XT25's

Soundsplinter RL-p 18

Amplifiers

(3) Crossfire 1502 (1 per front frequency stage)

Crossfire XP1400D (RL-p)

I'm not big on messing with electricity so I'm letting the professionals do the wiring. I'll take some pictures so you can see it. Maybe I'll even remember to bring a real camera so the pictures turn out half way decent. But don't count on it!

Nice work for a first shot, I'd surely add another baffle though.

It is double baffled, it's flush mounted with the second baffle. Just hadn't cut the hole yet when I took the pictures.

And, second baffle is lamenated to the first with fiberglass resin. I didn't get many pictures today cause I forgot to bring a camera... install is 95% done... need to do some trim panels and find out how to loom/hide the wires. I thought I had left more room when I measured for the box build at first to do an amp rack but we barely got everything in as it is; didn't have much room to do a fancy amp rack. Oh well.

I'll take some pics tomorrow in the day, doesn't look too bad. Sound decent, think it will sound damn good soon as I get it dialed in more.

Heres some quick pics of where the install is at.

I thought I had left more room to do a nice amp board to hide all the wires and what not, but if I do an amp cover it will block part of the port, I'm not sure how big of an effect this will have on it? Some one educate me on that please? It would probably block the bottom 2 inches of the port on either side....

Anyways, until I figure out if I'm going to do a trim board around the amps, I'm gonna loom the wires to try and clean it up a bit and make it look better.

Pretty happy with how the box turned out though, looks way better carpeted and with some paint on the port board.

DSCF0624.jpg

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0626.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

Great looking finished box. I love the look of it,very nice. I think you did a great job for your first build. fing05.gif:neil: