bobby_7

Shin splints.....

so i have been working out for the past 2 months, 3 days a week, for about an hour. sometimes i switch up my routine, but for the most part i will do 30 minutes of cardio, and 30 minutes of weights. i have tried running on the treadmill and on the track and i still get shin splints. i do calf raises everyday as well. i am 5'6" 230 lbs, so im definitely overweight, so i know that has something to do with it, but also, i would think it would improve at least a little bit by now. is there anything i can do to prevent these shin splints from running?

i have tried to get on a diet, and i have cut back on my portions and i try to have a small healthy snack every few hours, rather than eating 3 big meals, but i just cannot get motivated enough to stick to it. i work out on the road, and the guys i work with all eat fast food everyday, so it is very tough to bring a lunch and eat by myself while they eat fast food.

any advice / suggestions?

Are you wearing a good pair of shoes when you run? Insoles may be required as well.

As for shin splints ... try running on a softer surface (grass, for example). Ice post-workout and try to avoid running on your toes. Stretch ... often - 4-7 days a week.

i think i have some insoles layin around my apartment if i can find them. i have some new balance shoes and they are very comfortable to me. granted they were only like $40 when i bought them, but they should be ok for what i use them for.

my shin splints, when i get them, i can quit running, and switch to weights and they will go away within like 20 or 30 minutes and feel fine the rest of the day. should i still ice them post workout even if they dont hurt?

i would just slow down my pace and keep running while i have these shin splints, but sometimes they are really painful, and i have also heard that when you get them, you should stop running, as it could cause further damage. is that true?

Yes ... you can cause a lot of problems if you continue to run when they get super sore. Best thing to do is figure out what exactly is causing it - could be a basic excess weight issue, problem with your stride and step, patella not tracking properly over the femur, etc. Your doctor may recommend a bone scan to determine if you have any stress fractures of your tibia.

The ice will generally keep inflammation to a minimum which can prevent some pain. It is by no means a long-term fix, obviously.

Standing.jpg

FloorBoardBentKnee.jpg

TowelSeatedStraightLegCalf.jpg

i think it is a combination of a weight issue, my form and stride, and just not having ran for quite some time, so maybe i will just stick to the bike or elliptical til i can get rid of some of my belly.

thanks for the info though

My old coaches would tell us to run on the grass for a little to help.

It feels like I am developing some on my left leg, lateraloutside. I read some can get it on the inside, but I dont think Ive had those before.

The only time I ever get shin splints is when I run on hard pavement or so it seems.

In high school, when I was on the track team, the coach had us warm up on the road outside and then stretch and then do stuff on the crappy dirt track in KS...

I got it on my left leg and it was pretty bad. Got really painful at times during the season, so I never really got into running events, along with having a pulled left quad.

Seems like it didnt come back till I did too much about a week ago and ran a lot outside on the highway.

Shin splints basically refer to any pain the lower leg or inflammation. It can be a stress fracture of the tibia or a pulling away of the muscle band I think, from the bone. Cant remember all the names of some of those muscles.

Causes are usually overuse of muscles and too much running, not building up properly in your training, running downhill running on hard surfaces too much and so forth. Also, not stretching calves sufficiently. Improper running mechanics and ill-fitted or old shoes.

Treatments include:

RICE-rest, ice, compression and elevation

This brings up another point I was wondering from some of the more experienced runners on here. Should you use those compression wraps on shin splints at night or while you are running, both? What about shin-splint bands you can buy and place on your legs? Those seem like good preventative measures for a distance runner/marathoner... Anyone see success with those? What about really tight compression like shorts/spandex--the full leg kind, that goes down to the ankles? Maybe those can help with shock absorption.

-wearing proper running shoes

Ibuprofen, Alleve

-strengthening excercises such as standing on toes, using big toe to draw letters of the alphabet, picking up stuff with toes-towels, marbles, whatever

-Um, laying off sometimes, yes...

-standard injury excercise-biking, stationary biking, pool running letting it rest

I read also that you could try to warm up the area right before excercising--hot tub/whirlpool, etc..

I should try to ice my leg tonight.

Yeah, it sucks, but you need to be aware of what causes or can cause it and what to do afterwards and just keep it at bay

Hey admin--the 300 seconds in between is still too long Why not bump it down to like 100 or less?

Hey admin--the 300 seconds in between is still too long Why not bump it down to like 100 or less?

We have to do it that way due to people coming on the site and spamming it up in a hurry. But never fear, after I believe your first 15 or 25 posts it goes away. :)

you might wanna go and lift weights to work out your legs more

the same thing happens to me but i never run much i only do fast runs for 1 minute and walk for 1 minute for 10 minutes

and when you in the weight room try not to cool down when going to another machine to keep you self pump and help loose fat.

its the hardest thing you can do but when you look back and see you self now

your going to be happy of all the hard work you have done.

I used to be a sprinter in early high school, and I developed shin splints my junior year. I unfortunately had to quit running on the hard surfaces because of this. The grass was fine though. My favorite cardio replacement is the stairmaster.

I tried everything, but nothing worked in my case..

I used to be a sprinter in early high school, and I developed shin splints my junior year. I unfortunately had to quit running on the hard surfaces because of this. The grass was fine though. My favorite cardio replacement is the stairmaster.

Shin splints occur from the stretching of the interosseous membrane, the membrane that connects the tibia and fibula of the lower leg. Compression taping in most cases will remove shin splints for that workout period, massage before and after will stimulate circulation and promote healing of the membrane. Another thing to do is concentrate on your form, meaning stop running on your heels and run on yor toes, almost as if your falling, that will make you faster as well ;)

Shin splints occur from the stretching of the interosseous membrane, the membrane that connects the tibia and fibula of the lower leg. Compression taping in most cases will remove shin splints for that workout period, massage before and after will stimulate circulation and promote healing of the membrane. Another thing to do is concentrate on your form, meaning stop running on your heels and run on yor toes, almost as if your falling, that will make you faster as well ;)

In theory.