bigjae1976

Havoc: sealed vrs ported

Here are the stats

Powered by a Sundown SAZ-1500d

Ported: 2.0 cu ft tuned to 33 hz metered at 140.4db, TL in the kicks.

Sealed: .85 cu ft, no stuffing - haven't had a chance to mesure yet.

Started out with the ported box. Here is my initial review

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...mp;#entry408101

The Havoc does it all! Lots of output, razor sharp SQ, looks good, doesn't cost 4 figures, and is very reliable. But I've always felt that the 2 cu ft ported box was a little big and put a little too much emphasis on the low end. The sub will get low, the question you should ask is how much do I need from 65hz+.

Now, going with a sealed box. I like it much better with the biggest reason being that the box is about 1/3 the size. My gut feeling says that the Havoc likes a small sealed box better. As you'd expect, the Havoc sounds a little better and can handle the power for longer periods of time. The best part is that I haven't lost too much output. While this may be unacceptable to someone trying to get every last db, I think others will gladly accept this trade off.

Bottom line is you can use this sub in a sealed box and still post some respectable #'s in the SPL lanes.

As I said earlier, the best part is that I've gotten my trunk back. I can fit all of my hockey goalie gear in the trunk.

I will do a run on my TL sometime soon.

I'd be interested to see what a little polyfill does for your low end response.

Feel like testing that out??

Sealed - 138.1dbs...

I am surprised it got that high. My XBL2 XXX 12 in a sealed box hit 136.7 dbs. I am thoroughly impressed. So I experienced a loss of 2.3 dbs going sealed. While it is significant for competition purposes, that's not a huge number. Smaller than the generally accepted loss of 3-6dbs between a sealed and ported box.

I'd be interested to see what a little polyfill does for your low end response.

Feel like testing that out??

I'll be able to test it out in a month or so. I'm assuming you'll get more low end, which you already get plenty of. Polyfill might be more useful in a smaller box.

Edited by bigjae1976

The Havoc does it all! Lots of output, razor sharp SQ, looks good, doesn't cost 4 figures, and is very reliable. But I've always felt that the 2 cu ft ported box was a little big and put a little too much emphasis on the low end. The sub will get low, the question you should ask is how much do I need from 65hz+.

Just wondering what you meant by this statement. I have been finding a ton of drivers I have been using lately sealed, will not get above 63hz. I need something that will get to around 72hz. Is this possible with the Havoc? Also, I think I have asked this before, but do you know the Le?

Try a nice 8" midbass driver...

72 htz is not subwoofer material.

hell 63hz isn't subwoofer material

Just wondering what you meant by this statement. I have been finding a ton of drivers I have been using lately sealed, will not get above 63hz. I need something that will get to around 72hz. Is this possible with the Havoc? Also, I think I have asked this before, but do you know the Le?

The Havoc in the 2 cu ft box was a low end monster. What I was getting at was that you probably could put the havoc in a smaller box tuned a little higher.

Keep in mind....the enclosure behaves as a highpass filter; with both sealed and bass reflex (ported) systems, the enclosure only has an effect on low frequency performance. If you are having a perceived problem with upper frequency performance, you need to address the vehicle acoustics by eq'ing down the bottom end or by selecting a driver with less inductance and inductance variation.

Keep in mind....the enclosure behaves as a highpass filter; with both sealed and bass reflex (ported) systems, the enclosure only has an effect on low frequency performance. If you are having a perceived problem with upper frequency performance, you need to address the vehicle acoustics by eq'ing down the bottom end or by selecting a driver with less inductance and inductance variation.

I completely understand how an enclosure has an effect on FR, and a low inductance driver is something I'm trying to find. I've been looking at the new Mag, but I would like to find something similar, that has a bit more xmax (linear). That is why asked if anyone knew the Le of this driver.

How was the sq compared to the xbl^2 re xxx? I'm actually debating on whether I should I get this sub or the new mag. the new mag was tested at 134 db in a sealed box. If I do get this sub, I'm thinking of putting it in a sealed box and giving it either 900 watts or 1100 watts. I currently have a jl 10w7 in a ported box but I want to replace it.

I'd say that the XXX and Havoc are pretty similar. Its tough to really say since there was an 18 month gap between selling my XXX and getting the Havoc installed.

If anything, I like the Havoc better because it weighs LOT less and basically achieves the same level of performance.

I can't comment on the mag. The Havoc beats the JL hands down.

The havoc you tested, what size was it?

I am buying a 15" Havoc and want to go sealed, was wondering if you could help me with a size!

Would like to save space though :)

Polyfill :P?

The havoc you tested, what size was it?

I am buying a 15" Havoc and want to go sealed, was wondering if you could help me with a size!

Would like to save space though :)

Polyfill :P?

Luckily...AA's site is up with the specs. I haven't tried my 12 with polyfill yet.