Mark LaFountain

The "X"con 12" prototype has arrived

this is pretty exciting. I may have to sell the Q and rep SSA instead. The Q hasn't even been installed yet.

=P

:D

this is pretty exciting.

You're telling me! Mark laid into this thing past the point of excess. Which we have to do to make sure it meets our minimum goals for this driver. But what we usually do is the subjective listening testing first, then pour on the power, not the other way around. There are no signs of wear on the driver what so ever.

if this has all the SQ of the Icon, I'm all over it like white on rice.

It is a different approach. The Icon is a clean driver with a rumpus bottom end that does very well in medium to larger size boxes. The Xcon is actually a little flatter in response, and could possibly be more accurate then the Icon and even with its larger displacement it really excels in a standard box size. I will be messing with stuffing and other boxes and power levels along the way.

The goal with the Xcon, was to take the Icon one or two steps further in both clarity and output.

:neil:

Any news on this new beast? A louder yet better sounding Icon is an amazing feat, so pardon me for being absolutely psyched about it! fing05.gif

It looks like we are going to move forward with this most recent version prototype. Just for the heck of it, I have been listening to it with just a mere 240 watts, and the output in a medium sized box is way more then expected.

It looks like we are going to move forward with this most recent version prototype. Just for the heck of it, I have been listening to it with just a mere 240 watts, and the output in a medium sized box is way more then expected.

Does this mean you will be making a sort of production prototype? Also what is the mounting depth of this beast? Thanks.

Does this mean you will be making a sort of production prototype? Also what is the mounting depth of this beast? Thanks.

Production prototype? It will be put into production. I have to double check the mounting depth.

Production prototype? It will be put into production. I have to double check the mounting depth.

All I have to ask is: when, and how much? :)

All I have to ask is: when, and how much? :)

I believe I mentioned before, but just to make sure, it will be at least 3 months once we put it into production to when it is ready. With the constantly increasing price of materials and time to put into production, it is way to early to give a price out yet.

I vote for HEMP Dust caps.. Since i know everybody is trying to go green somehow, why now make your sub with a little touch of hemp instead of carbon fiber, everybody has carbon fiber, kinda lame. could be unique ?

I vote for HEMP Dust caps.. Since i know everybody is trying to go green somehow, why now make your sub with a little touch of hemp instead of carbon fiber, everybody has carbon fiber, kinda lame. could be unique ?

We are somewhat limited by what is available to our build house, and in reality not many companies are actually using carbon fiber. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)

We are somewhat limited by what is available to our build house, and in reality not many companies are actually using carbon fiber. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)

Did you finally decided to keep the cf dustcap?

Did you finally decided to keep the cf dustcap?

We want to use it, but need to hear back for certain that the logo will be able to be applied well.

I am really excited for this sub.

This sounds like it will quench the thirst for really great sounding woofers that handle a ton of power. Not too many epic subs like that that I am interested in.

A few 18s my way will make me a happy boy. I might even make an SPL box for giggles and see what I can do.

i need now !! icon coils smell yummy but the taste is too spicy!!

any chance that if i come down to maryland i can hear it sometime? :)

Don't see why not. My install is in constant flux anyway. :P

so like I had an hour long conversation with Mark a couple of weeks ago ...from what I heard

the X-Con is going to be going into my install.....

I got room for two 12" and a much bigger amp :drink40:..

Trevor, knowing how you tune and build your boxes, and the sound you like, if you are going big time power (above Icon limits) you are going to freaking love this thing.

well I ended up getting the Crown A3000gti amp fing05.gif ....now all I need are the 12" Xcons

so like I had an hour long conversation with Mark a couple of weeks ago ...from what I heard

the X-Con is going to be going into my install.....

I got room for two 12" and a much bigger amp :drink40:..

Trevor, knowing how you tune and build your boxes, and the sound you like, if you are going big time power (above Icon limits) you are going to freaking love this thing.

well I ended up getting the Crown A3000gti amp fing05.gif ....now all I need are the 12" Xcons

Oh crap!