theMessenjah44

double check my work

My amp's been kicking into protect for no known reason, I've checked every possible connection and wire, and undervoltage is impossible, this is an Atomic 800.1 with a Battcap 2000 in the trunk of my car.

I put in a tone cd playing 60hz, put a DMM on the 200 AC voltage setting, touched + and - respectively on the amp outputs then turned the HU up until the amp shut down and we're reading 8.4 volts before shutdown

8.4 x 8.4 = 70 watts

am I correct or have I completely lost it?

Please don't just jump on me for using a DMM, I know it's not the best way, it's just the most accessible way for me to find wtf is going on.

that's not 70w. You have no idea what the output current is.

Anyway, why don't you measure the DC voltage coming in rather than the output... The output has nothing to do with your protection issue if all you have is a DMM.

Secondly, what is the DCR value at the speaker leads?

what is the rest of the system like? What speakers hooked to it? Might try taking the DMM to the speakers and make sure they aren't blown.

I have a Powerbass XA-3000D on it right now. the subs are not blown, they were brand new out of the box when I hooked them up.

I just wanted to make sure I was figuring the output correctly.

AC voltage 8.4^2 = about 70 watts, correct?

Still, what does DCR mean?

DCR=Direct Current Resistance

did you check all your ground wires...i fixed my issue with my amp and its protection state from an improper ground location.

I would double check the subs again....

what do they meter (resistance wise while NOT hooked up to the amp)...

I have been installing for over 14 years... and trust me just cause speakers are new doesn't mean they aren't bad...

Also metering the speakers are a sure fire way that you didn't hook them up wrong (coil wise)..

there are two main reasons amps go into protect

1. Low voltage input in turn means to high a current, amp gets hot and shuts down..

2. unstable impedance from the speakers..

last year the ground wire came loose and fried the distributor, I believe it was. I sent the amp back for repairs, then it worked fine.

The second time I installed it, I ran double strands of 1/0 front to back in the car, one pos. one ground, there's no way it was a grounding issue this time.

I know I didn't hook the coils up wrong, I checked my connections 3 times, and with the other amp, I haven't had any issues. I will test the coils like you suggested though.

Back to the original question.

AC voltage ^2 = wattage, correct?