gearstix

SPL brand subwoofers?

No. I'm not buying them because they say SPL on them...
You should not be buying them because of what brand they are. Not a good idea.

No. I'm not buying them because they say SPL on them...
You should not be buying them because of what brand they are. Not a good idea.

argh.. I'm not buying them, I was just inquiring because I'm considering all my options. If I was stateside I could afford some better subwoofers because there would be no shipping. But since I'm in northern Alberta, Canada, shipping tends to get expensive so I have to factor that into the budget.

Edited by Gearstix

You should complain about shipping when it costs $180 to ship a big amp...$200 for a medium sized sub...and so on...

AND you have to wait ~20 days for them...without any tracking information...

actually I had a military guy come in with a single 12...

bought a rockford 500-1bd

Sub did fairly well... Lasted about 2 minutes before freezing up.... :)

Seriously... not even joking... guy got into a huge fight saying we did something wrong...

hooked up a alumapro 10" to the amp.... he ended up buying the alumapro 10 bandpass box....

that's my experience with them..

For the record.... Saying that your considering this brand because you live in canada and shipping is bad, is a very sad excuse....

Sometimes it;s cheaper to spend more on a good quality item (in the long run it last longer) then saving money on a poor brand (where you will be out that money and probably ending up paying for the good brand in the end)

Well, at least I inquired about them, instead of running out and buying them.

I won't be able to afford a 2 subs that are say $250 bucks, then $110 shipping each, then an amp + shipping, wood, wire, etc.

Mach5 is IN Canada. Definitely a better product than SPL.

No question.

Do some more research before reaching into the cheap and crappy subwoofer pool.

No question.

This suggestion might be your best bet. I had 3 maw 10"s, and I was very happy with them. :neil:

No question.

Do some more research before reaching into the cheap and crappy subwoofer pool.

A similar analogy would be a 2009 BMW to a 1970 Yugo...not even the same style of product.

They're made by PA, and just like any cheap product, they will work fine if done properly. Believe it or not, my buddy had a pair in his Camaro and they actually worked well until he decided to move the gain knob past the setting I told him to. They are made to make noise and nothing more. They won't handle near the power they claim; cut it by 60% to be safe, and well, they just sound like stink no matter what you do. BUT, they are cheap and they are plentiful, so. . . .

Personally, I'd rather spend my money on toilet paper as it's a much more worthwhile investment, especially in a multi-ply super soft variety, but if it weren't my money, I'd care less.

I like the soft stuff as well, nothing worse than wiping your bum with bark.

^^^X2! There is nothing worse than public toilet paper, the stuff in those HUGE rolls that are super cheap...Oh and about those subs, NO! You could buy a quality product and have it last 5 years vs. buy a cheap-o product and have it last 5 minutes.

The link didn't work. It 404'd. But is this the new one, or the all black splw with the chrome dustcap?

Neither. It's the one from the year old thread.

yea, i know it's a year old. just came across it and while lurking and thought i'd ask

HEY- not sure if any1 comes here anymore? but MACH 5 AUDIO in ALBERTA???- Contact me- I got 'em in ALBERTA! The Mach 5 SPL-12" & Mach 5 SPL-15" are riduculous!!! The IXL series may be all u need, depending on ur power. IF u wanna DB- get our new 8000 watt or 12,000 watt amps- but, warning- U'LL be shelling out for 1/2 dozen batteries at least!!!

I'm using 8x 12"IXL's in my truk- take a peek. NOT built for DB but blows 151 with windows open in Audio Control RTA

Not sure IF there was a company called SPL?? but Mach 5 Audio has SPL series subs- FREE shipping in Canada!!!!! Hows that for costs! :)

dam! like my own little thread , but with out me! i use to use 4 spl audio w-12's with 4 kole 1920's in two pre-fabs. f150 extended cab, w/ kenetic 800 and big three done. i was fetching around 145's with it.........i like the big ol' motor look, and the fat surrond seems to make them look ever so promising also. they seemed to be awesome at the time.. then i also had 2 of the 15's w/ a couple of hifonics on them, uh bxi 2600 or whatever it was, custom slot port and big three done.........that was in a 2000 bravada....... also done really well.

this was the old style.......seemed to get pretty warm , but we cruised alot. i think the new style bost more ...but are ugly as sin! so would i buy some more? sure ! cash deal off the streets or from aggressive flea market vender, i sure would. i would say a custom built enclosure is a must have. i would not want to use them for comp's or to repesent the low end in a musical enviroment, however they are cheap and can bang loud.......so like i said, if i stumbled across them ,sure.

strange enough, the mach 5's ........ well that is what i am stepping up to, 2 mach 5 ixl's 15" s that is my goal..... i could get the spl's here locally , just go and pick them up for about 180 each. or have the ixl's mailed to me for 220 each. so i am saving and waiting....really want to have the better equipment ......also want to be able to see them low notes. trust me i am a sucker for the huge a** motor look, i use to say that the ma audio's w/ the 4000 watts stamped on the back was my next woofer.....big and cheap.

mach 5 has those spl's too, but they are serious...!!!!

i hate piss poor toilet paper, off brand Q-tips, generic mayo............the real thing seems to always win!

Anybody use the/hear of them?

http://www.splaudio.ca/splw.html

http://www.splusa.net/index.htm

Was thinkin about getting some 10s..

I actually had one of this brands top of the line 15's last year. Held up pretty good to the power i threw at it, but didnt have a good full range bass sound. It would only hit deep bass(20 to maybe 50 hertz). And i was using two Bostwick 1200 watt amps on it!