Sign in to follow this  
Jacob86

How to wire up 4ohm components

Like the title says im trying to wire up my components. They are Infinity Perfect 6.1, and im trying to use a kicker kx 250.2 amp. I know I have to bridge the amp to get 4 ohms but every time I wire it up the amp shuts off at high volume for a few sec

ds and then tries to kick back on.

Some info:

0ga run from the battery to a distribution block

From distribution block 4ga to Hifonics 1208 Brutis, 8ga to Kicker kx 250.2

Same size wire for ground to another distribution block and 0ga to frame

200amp alt. with big 3 done

SO my question how do I wire this up so I know im doing it right, and what could be making the amp shut off?

If you're using the passive crossovers, you have one set of wires going to each channel on the KX250.2...there's no bridging involved to "get to" 4 ohms.

Curious as to where your gain knob is set to and how you chose to set it as well.

Definitely don't need to bridge.

So the amp puts out 2ohms to each channel but the crossovers send out 4ohms?

I'll see if that makes a differene

No, the amp will operate at whatever impedance the load is, provided it's not under what the amp is stable at.

It works but it still shuts off, just a little louder. My gain is a little less then 1/4 of the way up

It sounds to me like you have some wiring issues.

How and what did you connect where. Perhaps a picture would be worth a 1000 words here.

ok, its dark now so ill get a pic in the tomorrow

it to try and explan in words,

Left+ and Left- from amp to crossover, and from there crossover to woofer and tweeter and the same for the right side

Edited by Jacob86

I could be wrong, but I think the amp Isn't stable meaning too big of a load on your amp.

Here are your amp specs.

Amplifier Output Details

- 125 Watt - 2 Ohm - 2 channel(s) WHICH MEANS WIRED IN (STEREO)

- 250 Watt - 4 Ohm - 1 channel(s) WHICH MEANS (RIGHT AND LEFT CHANNELS BRIDGED)

If you are bridging 2, 4 OHM subs on your amp, That would be a 2 OHM load on the amp. Which your amp is not capable of. In addition, crossovers shouldn't affect what your amp can handle.

I had a similar problem. Just wire the speakers in (STEREO MODE) and tell me if the amp still cuts out. Yes It wont sound as loud and stuff, but its probably the only way to run your speakers without the amp cutting out.

everything seems to be ok. Try unhooking everything and just hooking one speaker straight to one of the channels. Make it a 4 ohm speaker. It could be one of the mids out of the set, another you have lying around, anything. See if it still shuts off. Try the speaker on both channels. If it does not shut off, the problem is with something in the component set. If it does, something is wrong with the amp or inputs.