KU40

Baltic Birch the best?

I'm looking for low weight, basically. Rigidity isn't a huge concern because my box will only be 1 cube and in an L-shape, so all the corners and small panel sizes should make it pretty stiff regardless. I may also add a second baffle on front to countersink the sub. Birch is getting up over 60 dollars a sheet, though (5' x 5'). MDF weighs twice as much and half the price. Is there anything else readily available at most lumber yards that would do the job for less?

One cube of MDF is not going to do much as far as weight goes...

I don't think you will find anything that good with less weight for a better price than BB. I would definitely go with BB. If weight is of large concern for you, would you consider make a thin wooden box and then glass fiber or epoxi laminate it, inside out? That way you would get a very stiff box, and reduced weight.

from what i`ve read on these forums, trupan light gets you way more bang for the buck. it ways almost exactly the same as baltic birch and costs way less. baltic birch is very sexy if you leave a side exposed without carpet and add a little stain on it though.

edit:found my info here http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...68&hl=birch

Edited by Triple_P

I like Trupan over MDF, but by me it's over double the price for a sheet. How much weight can you save with a box that small? A sheet of MDF is around 100#'s and the BB probably around 70#'s, but you probably won't even use 1/2 a sheet...

All good and valid points.

I think I remembered figuring up that I would save 15 lbs by going with baltic birch, so you're probably right about that 1/2 sheet mlstrass. Which isn't very significant, sure. Fiberglass has been recommended to me before as well, and I'm still thinking about it. I've never done it before. I'm doing this box in my hometown, 3 hours away from me, so it will have to be a fairly quick weekend project. I'm not sure fiberglass lends itself to the "quick" crowd. But would be interesting to try. I slapped some resin on the inside of the box I have now to help seal and harden and all that. Seems to work pretty well, but how would you tell without building another box without it, you know.

I'm not sure, but I think HDF is lighter than birch. There is also LDF.

Oh do explain. Ive never heard of either.

I'm not sure, but I think HDF is lighter than birch. There is also LDF.

Oh do explain. Ive never heard of either.

Well you know MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard, right? Why would they call something medium if there weren't other products above and below it? :)

Though I wouldn't think HDF would be lighter than birch, if the name is correct. High density should weigh more than medium density, right? LDF, maybe, but I've never seen that.