gearstix

Dr. Crankenstein

http://drcrankenstein.com/

as far as I know, these guys were a company in the 80s/90s that have recently came back... there website has been up for a while, but now you can buy stuff...

heres a post from Canadian Car Audio forums.. from a while back

"Greetings all. This is the formal announcement that the speaker and amplifier company Dr. CRANKENSTEIN has started building products again. We shipped our first product last week in the states. Our efforts have most recently been spent on our home theater loudspeaker company where we were quite content, but due to the ongoing requests from CRANKENSTEIN followers, young and old, we went back into production of the car audio products.

New Dr. CRANKENSTEIN products have the old drive and soul but are designed and built with every bit of the latest technology that the world has to offer. Our products were built in the U.S. back then and we are proud to say that NONE of our products are made offshore. Our speakers are still made by hand in Kentucky with the same quality control as always.

Our first 2 subs that we recently released were the HIGH VOLTAGE 104DVC & HV124DVC with the HV-154DVC to follow in the next month or so. We have two other series of subs that are due to be released mid summer when our amplifier line will also be available.

Dr. CRANKENSTEIN wishes to show its appreciation to everyone in Canada that supported our line and built some of the most unbelievable vehicles that we have ever seen. You truly know how to build the world's finest car audio installs.

Our new website (although far from being done) can be accessed at DR. CRANKENSTEIN -. Images of the new product will be posted in the next few days.

Our actual announcement will be listed in the next 12-Volt Magazine and we will be exhibiting at the Spring Break Nationals in Daytona at the end of March.

Thank you and we hope to see you very soon."

Edited by Gearstix

Hell nah!! This some bullstuff!!

i remember them from back in the days they were comparable to entry level audio back in the 90's.

such as kicker impulse, kicker comps, rockford series 1, and so on.

but as technology progressed they didn't and kind of faded away.

come to think of it right around when i started to get into car audio was right when they were well onto there way into oblivion.

I had some of their old co-axial 6x9's..................those as 6x9's go for the price kicked ass.

Hey Stix,

It's good to shop arouind to see what the market offers. You will find some great stuff out there and a whole sea of chit that it all floats in. Dr. Crackerstein is still entry level product but it doesn't compare to Sundown or any of the SSA lines. I wouldn't drop a ton of $$ on it if I were you.

Hey Stix,

It's good to shop arouind to see what the market offers. You will find some great stuff out there and a whole sea of chit that it all floats in. Dr. Crackerstein is still entry level product but it doesn't compare to Sundown or any of the SSA lines. I wouldn't drop a ton of $$ on it if I were you.

Oh I ain't buying them...

Just figured I'd post it up tiz'all.

Fill us in ramos :)

I know nothing of the new lines. The old stuff was just a butt hair above flea market status as it was sold in places like K mart , hills , holdrens yada yada. The amps were way over rated, but the subs were under rated in most cases. I had several of the 12's. Decided to kill one in the shop one day. Plugged it into the wall socket . It tripped a 30 amp breaker so many times I gave up trying to kill it. My first spl comp setup conisted of a pair of crankenstein 12's. Mid 40's for a pair of $40 subs with a couple hundred watts was pretty good, and they even sounded pretty good. :)

Fill us in ramos :)

he may be thinking of when they were still popular.

as i stated earlier i was around right near the end of them, but a older chap i know has been around since the 70's,

and he stated back in the late 80's when pyle, pyramid, and rockford where all around the same level of performance- so was dr. crankenstien, and these were consider some of the top brands back then.

i wouldn't know as when i was getting into car audio that brand was becoming a underdog according to the other car audio chaps that were around at the time.

Edited by stovebolt6

I dont remember their amps but I remember a few setups with their subs that got loud. Gotta remember back then a sub that could handle 1000w you couldnt just buy anywhere, there were only a handful aof manufacturers that made them and they cost like $900 for one. I think he has his prices set to the early 90's when only 3 or 4 companies made high power subs. Im not paying $900 for a sub that I can get for less than half that and will handle the same power.

Edited by cobracommander

I dont remember their amps but I remember a few setups with their subs that got loud. Gotta remember back then a sub that could handle 1000w you couldnt just buy anywhere, there were only a handful aof manufacturers that made them and they cost like $900 for one. I think he has his prices set to the early 90's when only 3 or 4 companies made high power subs. Im not paying $900 for a sub that I can get for less than half that and will handle the same power.

There wasn't really any car audio specific subwoofer that could handle 1000w back then. 1000w amps were over $2-$3 A watt :eek5wavey: Crankenstein's weren't rated for anything close to what they could handle. I jokingly bought my first pair to see how quick they would die. The fact that they didn't is what enticed me to buy more. The new lines look very similar to a few other companies basket designs. I would be hard pressed to pay anywhere near the msrp they have listed for the new lines now though. :)

Its kind of funny how the older 'high power' woofers were more or less pro audio woofers. I want some B52's though lol

Yep, look at the old idw's, alpine, lanzar......... :)

Its kind of funny how the older 'high power' woofers were more or less pro audio woofers. I want some B52's though lol

Yep, look at the old idw's, alpine, lanzar......... :)

I still have a vintage Lanzar LC18(minus dustcap) that i've had sine high school in 1989 with the accordion surround and all. It still bangs but seems like a wet headphone next to my BTL.

I never heard anything but good from the original Dr. Crankenstein. Those weren't sold anywhere but car audio shops AFAIK. There seems to be a product line of the same name that was pretty much junk in the interim. Don't know anything about the new line.

BTW, to whoever said it, Pyramid was never anything but crap. Pyle used to be OK, but was not at the same level as RF. I'd say they're closer to RF now compared to then, not because Pyle got better but because RF isn't nearly what it used to be.

I never heard anything but good from the original Dr. Crankenstein. Those weren't sold anywhere but car audio shops AFAIK. There seems to be a product line of the same name that was pretty much junk in the interim. Don't know anything about the new line.

BTW, to whoever said it, Pyramid was never anything but crap. Pyle used to be OK, but was not at the same level as RF. I'd say they're closer to RF now compared to then, not because Pyle got better but because RF isn't nearly what it used to be.

I remember reading things about a van that crankenstein had... ohhh if I could only remember some stuff about it..

pic....

1a_8.JPG

i mentioned that i was not old enough to witness the pyramid and pyle rf back then.

it was my 65 year old neighbor that told me about that when he was into car audio back in the late 70's through the late 80's. those were the top three brands for subs for when/were he was from, which was southern louisiana.

There wasn't really any car audio specific subwoofer that could handle 1000w back then. 1000w amps were over $2-$3 A watt :eek5wavey: Crankenstein's weren't rated for anything close to what they could handle. I jokingly bought my first pair to see how quick they would die. The fact that they didn't is what enticed me to buy more. The new lines look very similar to a few other companies basket designs. I would be hard pressed to pay anywhere near the msrp they have listed for the new lines now though. :)

Hart had the cardiac series. I believe those were the first 1Kw 12V marketed drivers.

Pyle, the original Pyle from Huntington, was great gear for it's period. They began a slow steady decline and eventually the new Pyramid bought them out.

Pyramid used to be a very decent company in the late 80s, early 90s. I believe their Gold Series was their top-of-the-line. I had one of those amps for years and threw everything at it and it never faded.

Hart had the cardiac series. I believe those were the first 1Kw 12V marketed drivers.

Pyle, the original Pyle from Huntington, was great gear for it's period. They began a slow steady decline and eventually the new Pyramid bought them out.

Pyramid used to be a very decent company in the late 80s, early 90s. I believe their Gold Series was their top-of-the-line. I had one of those amps for years and threw everything at it and it never faded.

Seems like everything is going downhill these days :(

The Cardiac series subs were made by Petras. First really high powered subs I remember were the Orion XTRs with a rating of 800 watts. They were made for a single sub to be run of a 2100 HCCA @ 2 ohms. The other I remember were the GTI subs from jbl which were based on pro audio drivers. Late 80s/early 90s a 400w sub was beefy and few amps were capable of making much more power than that. All amps worth having were pricey.

The Cardiac series subs were made by Petras. First really high powered subs I remember were the Orion XTRs with a rating of 800 watts. They were made for a single sub to be run of a 2100 HCCA @ 2 ohms. The other I remember were the GTI subs from jbl which were based on pro audio drivers. Late 80s/early 90s a 400w sub was beefy and few amps were capable of making much more power than that. All amps worth having were pricey.

Do you mean the XTR Pros? I had some XTRs, both version 2 and version 3 I believe, and I don't think they were rated for more than 250 RMS. I thought the XTR Pros were 500 rms.