gearstix

Dr. Crankenstein

Subs just don't last

I'll disagree with that, but I have to go now so it'll wait until later :D:P

Edit: As long as the surrounds stay away from lots of direct UV, you'd be amazed at how long speakers can last and still be very playable condition. I have a friend that has a pair of Altec cabinets with 2 15" midbasses, they were made in the early '50s...other than one hole in a surround due to a mouse that was living in one of the cabinets, they all worked :)

I've got a pair of Altec 415A biflex drivers, probably made from the mid to late 50's. They sound pretty damn good.

They are still rather nice, with one having slight bumps in the dustcap from the original installer I would guess.

I loved their Studio 500's. I ran 4 of these to 4 Stroker 18's and it BANGED. I want one of these again.

i remember in the mid 90's there was a local shop in west berkeley called supercars that did audio for the local rappers. the guy had a portfolio with systems he did for e-40 and b-legit back in the day. he did a range rover killer tay had with the old stroker 18s in it, blew my mind 10 years ago. i still have a pair of Zeuz 825w max comp subs from that shop. they paint on the baskets are totally corroded but they still wang. I think they came out of florida in the early 1990's.

Banned, we do not allow product pushing or multiple accounts from the same IP. Must think our mod team and member base are stupid.

Subs just don't last

I'll disagree with that, but I have to go now so it'll wait until later :D:P

Edit: As long as the surrounds stay away from lots of direct UV, you'd be amazed at how long speakers can last and still be very playable condition. I have a friend that has a pair of Altec cabinets with 2 15" midbasses, they were made in the early '50s...other than one hole in a surround due to a mouse that was living in one of the cabinets, they all worked :)

I had a set of snells that were about 20 years old, found them on the side of the road when they evicted some crackhead from her house. the things were pretty abused and there was almost NO foam left on the surrounds and they still didn't sound half bad at low to medium volume. i later sold them for 250 dollars on ebay

Here's a ad I pinched from a May/June 1991 issue of Car Stereo Review.

Looks like a pro sound driver.......pleated cloth surround, treated paper cone, and probably a four inch voice coil I would guess. They pretty much say it's a pro sound driver....

005zw2.jpg

Those are the exact ones i had. i may still have one, it's a 50/50

My dad is an old rocker that used Cranks way back. He said that if it wasn't for them none of these other companies would exist. When they started out they kept getting kicked out of shows because no one wanted vehicles with SPL's over 130.

Tell your father to do some research because he is mistaken.

I just bought a pair from them online. Rumor has it that they are going to be making some big SPL vehicle s like they did back in the day. My dad is an old rocker that used Cranks way back. He said that if it wasn't for them none of these other companies would exist. When they started out they kept getting kicked out of shows because no one wanted vehicles with SPL's over 130. The shows kept telling them to turn it down and they kept turning it up. These subs rock with my old Linear Power 8002 driving them.
They also sponsored me and my truck and said that they are looking for tons of vehicles across the U.S. to sponsor. I don't see anybody else doing that. Not even the big players like Kicker or Rockford.
I did a Google Search on car subs and found you. I just bought some new Dr. CRANKENSTEIN subs and wanted to know what other people thought about them. They sponsored my truck. I have an old Linear Power 8002 on a pair of new HIGH VOLTAGE 12's and it is making my dashboard ripple like mad. I didn't have much money to spend and when they sponsored me and my car club I went with them. They are the best I have ever heard for the money. My dad used to have a set back in the day. He said they helped create the SPL scene back then before any other companies were doing it back in 1983. I like them because they are American made also. I work for a Ford dealer and want to support products made in the USA and they sponsor all car clubs in the entire U.S.
Dr. CRANKENSTEIN sponsored me and everyone in my truck club. I'm just glad that someone is out there making American Made products. Plus they helped me by sponsoring me. I didn't have the money for 2 of them so I bought one and they gave me one. No one else is doing that.

A word of advice: no matter how good/bad the product is, if you keep blowing up this thread with posts like this it looks like you either work for the company, are way too easily influenced, or would make a convincing tahitian noni juice salesman. one post is enough, maybe two, but considering they all basically say the same thing it just looks ridiculous. did you sign up just to push crankenstein on here or something?

Banned, we do not allow product pushing or multiple accounts from the same IP. Must think our mod team and member base are stupid.

Hmm, Looks like someone's a little fishy here.

gallery_156_27_201191.jpg

That was obvious.

Excellent work Ryan. :)

IP ban too.

wow, i almost want to try a set since they went through all that trouble. now i'm intrigued, but i'll only buy them if they accept nigerian bank checks and refund me the additional 10,000 dollars it's made out for :)

wow, i almost want to try a set since they went through all that trouble. now i'm intrigued, but i'll only buy them if they accept nigerian bank checks and refund me the additional 10,000 dollars it's made out for :)

Very clever.

IP ban too.

Yep. Bring the spammers down!

You know, I remember very clearly rd audio doing the SAME thing on ca.com before they became "popular". just sayin:)

IP ban too.

And the hits keep on comin':

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/519744.html

You know, I remember very clearly rd audio doing the SAME thing on ca.com before they became "popular". just sayin:)

This is NOT ca.com.

This is NOT ca.com.

absolutly its not. never claimed it was. simply saying that rd did the same "register and pretend to be a customer" crap. get off the defensive child. im not trashing ssa.

IP ban too.

And the hits keep on comin':

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/519744.html

And again.

I dont remember their amps but I remember a few setups with their subs that got loud. Gotta remember back then a sub that could handle 1000w you couldnt just buy anywhere, there were only a handful aof manufacturers that made them and they cost like $900 for one. I think he has his prices set to the early 90's when only 3 or 4 companies made high power subs. Im not paying $900 for a sub that I can get for less than half that and will handle the same power.

There wasn't really any car audio specific subwoofer that could handle 1000w back then. 1000w amps were over $2-$3 A watt :eek5wavey: Crankenstein's weren't rated for anything close to what they could handle. I jokingly bought my first pair to see how quick they would die. The fact that they didn't is what enticed me to buy more. The new lines look very similar to a few other companies basket designs. I would be hard pressed to pay anywhere near the msrp they have listed for the new lines now though. :)

Hahaha! I remember selling Alpine 18 watt amps for $149 - now that's power!

Back in 1991 after a few years with my first pair of subs ( CV 12 in. ), i ran across these Crankenstein subs at a local (philadelphia) car audio distributor and decided it was time for a new pair. Im not sure why i even bought them other than i thought they were cool because nobody i knew had them. It turned out that they were the best sounding pair of subs i had heard. I ended up having a custom box made for them at a local stereo shop to fit behind the seat of my 1987 S-10 reg. cab pickup. Since that time i have had more trucks than i care to remember, but have always kept that same box with the same pair of Crankenstein subs(HV-124C). Earlier this year after i noticed that my 17 year old box that was made from particle board was starting to crumble i decided to have a new box made. I also decided to finally replace the 2 Crankenstein subs, so i did a google search and found a new Dr. Crankenstein web page. Long story short, i have a custom box built and buy 2 new subs

(HV-124DVC). The new box is .9 cu.ft. per side sealed. I have the subs wired in series with my 2 channel amp bridged to 1 channel 600w mono into 4ohms. This new setup has performed better than i ever expected, the new subs hit harder, sound better, and are so tight, i would recomend these subs to anyone. Back in the day, to me, low end meant: Pyle, Pyramid, MTX, ect. I did not then or do i now think these Crankenstein subs were in the same catagory as the low end class of car audio equipment. They are well built, solid subs that i would have no problem buying again.

I am not now nor have i ever been a employee of any speaker company. Im just a blue collar guy looking to have a kick-ass car stereo to listen too while driving to work. And yes, being made in the U.S.A. is still important to me. Im no expert, but it doesnt take one to see a high quality, well built speaker that just happens to rock. :shrug: