Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

720p vs 1080p vs lcd vs plasma

Man, i've been doin so much research on this when i have time my head is about to explode so i am going to see if you guys share the same thoughts as what i'm seeing and reading.

I had a 51" Hitachi rear projection tv.

I am replacing it with a lcd or plasma of at least 50" but am wanting to stay below $1200 or around that since this is an unexpected purchase for myself.

I have researched 720 vs 1080 and from what i see... unless i primarily watch blu ray movies or if i am sitting very close to the tv(i usually sit about 8-9ft away), 720 is the way to go since there would then be no visual difference and it's cheaper. The only thing they say is make sure it can accept 1080p signal and all the ones i see do.

Question - is 1600p (xHD) going to be the new "thing" in the very near future? I know 1080p screens dont even accept that signal so i shouldnt worry bout future-proofing when it comes to this correct?

I have researched lcd vs plasma and i just came back from a store with both displays next to each other playing the same thing so i can see the difference. What i see is while the lcd is brighter, the plasma is more geared toward perfect vivid colors for movie playback while the lcd is more geared toward making sure you can see what you are watching like a bright computer monitor. I noticed that the colors on the plasma were more firm, more to the point in actuality vs the lcd being slightly off color on a particular solid color due to it's excessive brightness.

Plasmas are cheaper and may be due to life expectancy but the plasmas i'm looking at have the same 60,000hr rating as lcds do.

So, is it safe to say that me choosing a good Samsung\Panasonic 720p Plasma is the way to go without disappointment?

What do i use my big tv for?

I use it primarily to watch normal cable broadcast through it or a movie played off the computer from time to time. I'll be running HDMI to HDMI from pc to tv when i do this soon.

Other than that, i'll be upgrading my pc monitor to a 28" soon so i will NOT be using this tv for computer output unless it's for movie playback ONLY.

I am aware of plasma burn in issues so upgrading my pc monitor will allow me to stop using my tv for such purposes.

I dont watch blu ray... yet but even if i did, maybe 1-2x a week. I play the wii on my tv but that's only 480p so it's still acceptable.

( i am in the process of gutting my room out for a very large projector system for the wii so i wont have to use this new tv for that either)

So am i in the clear for a 720p plasma?

How far away will you sit and what's your budget?

I will sit about 8-9ft away and i am trying to stay in the $900~$1200 range.

If i went as high as $1,300... it better be for a real good reason.

Again, i would go higher but this is an unexpected purchase so the funds are spontaneous.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...72*&topnav=

Although at your distance you are just fine with a 720p, for me I'd personally not buy a piece of outdated technology. In fact, in that price range I'd get the Toshiba as they do a great job with the 120hz motion and you won't feel like you need something different in the future.

sounds like your research was spot on. for an 8-9 ft viewing distance a 50" plasma or 46" lcd would be perfect. i might even say go plasma because they have a tendency to be more forgiving with resolutions outside of native. like you said, unless you want to watch blu rays while sitting really close 1080p is not necessary. i do not forsee television altering the resolution or framerate of their broadcast for many years, so theres no reason to buy 120hz or 1080p for that purpose. all video cameras film @ 30fps and that signal interlaces perfectly on a 60hz 720p tv, to produce 1080i/60hz. in respect to 120hz lcd's i would say it comes down to personal prefernce. i prefer to have my tv NOT trying to process and add 60 more frames of video that don't exist in the broadcast, because imho it molests the picture and looks fake/inaccurate. however, i DO like the 6 color processing capability of my DLP, it really helps with red wavelength light, as that lower frequency on the wavelength makes it hard for cameras to pick up and televisions to process. I believe some sharp televisions have 4 and 5 color processing (unique among LCD's) to help them process magentas and deep magentas but really i think the pioneer KURO 720p is a LOT of tv for the $!

(this is probably all outdated information anyways seeing as i got laid off 9 months ago and haven't really cared about the hdtv industry since then)

:drink40:

Although at your distance you are just fine with a 720p, for me I'd personally not buy a piece of outdated technology. In fact, in that price range I'd get the Toshiba as they do a great job with the 120hz motion and you won't feel like you need something different in the future.

wow that toshiba does a 5:5 pulldown, that's really cool with a blu-ray or any 1080p/24, 720p/24 or 480p/24 (film) source! Every 120hz lcd i'd seen up to now did a 6:4. good to see the framerate processing is coming along. nice find m5.

wow that toshiba does a 5:5 pulldown, that's really cool with a blu-ray or any 1080p/24, 720p/24 or 480p/24 (film) source! Every 120hz lcd i'd seen up to now did a 6:4. good to see the framerate processing is coming along. nice find m5.

I am reduced to LCD myself as I have a crap ton of windows, and being a hockey fan well I want framerate.

They had the 52" version for $1999, I put it in my shopping cart and hit buy and they were sold out. Lasted less than a day.

my 50" panasonic plasma real nice, pioneers are a little more pricier but the qualities there, and so are the sharps.

I have to say that after selling Sharp HDTVs, I would never buy or recommend one.

my bro just bought a 46in 1080p and was lookin at the ps3 games and there only rated at 720p...well i guess some of the ones he bought anyway

really, i didnt know that about the sharps. I sort of jumped on the band wagon there, theyve gained some market past year, but im a strong panasonic fan.

I have to say that after selling Sharp HDTVs, I would never buy or recommend one. Holy sh*t have we had a ridiculous amount returned.

where'd u sell sharps? i was stuck with the same crappy task. i had to inventory, display, transport and install too. a nightmare start to finish. although the d90u series wasn't too bad.

i was on somewhat of a budget, yet i wanted 1080p, 42", and LCD. Plasma's are hella cheap now, becuase theyre going out..deffinently get an LCD for sure. now as the 720 vs 1080...thats up to you, i dont watch many movies, but i still went with the 1080 becusae thats where everything is going (digital) and becuase i have my PC hooked to it via HDMI.

my tv is a 42" Vizio lcd though. very happy with it, havent had a single problem with it. thought about cancelling the 5 year warranty and getting my 300 or whatever it was back, but i know if i do that, itll prally break the next day, just becuase.

if u want some money back, cancel it and contact squaretrade for a warranty.

If it was a brand new legit purchase, they'll sell you a 3yr warranty for 10% of what u paid for it.

Didn't read any of the posts, didn't need to.

1) 1080p or you will be kicking yourself 20 minutes after you try to watch your first bluray who cares if you dont watch now, eventually you will. you won't have a choice.

2) lcd > plasma hands down. plasma sucks. its dying for a reason.

get a samsung LN46A550. 1300$. Shoot me a PM I can get you a pretty decent deal on it (I think around 1170+tax). Here is a trade secret. Most Samsung TVs are made in the same factory as the Sonys. They are the same TV until they are ~90% done, then they split and get different labeling. WHen you buy a Sony, that few hundred more you are paying is for the "Sony" sticker on the front.

Edited by dlink