crazyassazian

SAE-1000D blew fuses

The amp blew some fuses. I replaced them and the amp works fine on the 10 minute drive home. I was at a football game doing a promotion with a radio station. The car and amp was on for about three hours. On the way leaving the game, it played fine for about 30 seconds, and my sub (Fi.Q 15 D2) suddenly stopped working. Checked the amp and it was just completely off. Would the prolonged playing time have something to do with it?I just want to know why this happen and make sure it doesn't happen again.

also did you have the car running at all during those 3 hours?

the amp could have went into thermal...let it cool down and u can bump again.....but 3hours damn homie thats a long time...i hope it wasnt 3hrs striaght if so check the voice coil on the sub...lol

i think it safeto say u test the endurance of the amp far longer than most and its holding up

was the amp hot?

Yea, it was pretty hot.

also did you have the car running at all during those 3 hours?
The engine was running during those three hours.
Low voltage... not enuff voltage going to the amp

I was thinking that also, voltage drop and current overdraw.

the amp could have went into thermal...let it cool down and u can bump again.....but 3hours damn homie thats a long time...i hope it wasnt 3hrs striaght if so check the voice coil on the sub...lol

i think it safeto say u test the endurance of the amp far longer than most and its holding up

It definitely took it like a champ. Sub was fine. This is definitely one bulletproof amp.

Well if anyone else has any suggestions why the fuses blew, let me know.

Running for a long time on low voltage...

I've ran my amp and sub for 2-3 hours at parties at full blast (w/ car running) and my voltage will not go below 13.5...

If it drops below 12 for prolonged periods of time, it is very stressful on the amp.

And as long as you DO NOT clip the signal to the sub, it should be able to take 1000 watts all day long.

Edited by nick_19

^^same scenario for me but mine wasnt running full tilt the whole time. My car was running for those three hours....it's a three month old 2008 Scion xB if that matters. Any suggestions what I need to do to keep this from happening again? An extra battery maybe, Kinetik HC600?

Eh no.

Your car has a 90 amp stock alternator.

That should be fine.

Have you done the Big 3?

Ok...

Do you have a voltage meter?

Do you have any clue what your idle voltage is or what it drops to when bumpin?

I don't have a voltage meter at the moment, but I'm leaning on getting a Stinger voltmeter. I'll probably take a DMM to see the voltage drop on it later today.

Sweet. I was just saying that as a comment to an earlier made post that said something about checking the sub.

You sound like you know what you're doing, so that's good.

The fact that the amp was hot and the fuses were blown can really lead us to the direction of voltage being too low.

Alright sounds great. Let us know the results when you get to check it!

Edited by nick_19

Oh and as far as you leaning towards getting one, I would def recommend it. I didn't have one until about a month ago, and I'm very glad I got it.

Well here what's I got. Feel free to say what else I need to look for. For one thing, I noticed the protection light lighting up for a second than going to the blue power LED. Just an observation when powering up the car. Head unit is a CDA-9887 if that matters. Everything seemed fine. Song playing during testing is Young Jeezy- Hypnotize. Playing at full tilt.

Voltage with car off

caroff.jpg

Voltage with car on, audio off.

caronraudiooff.jpg

Voltage at the beginning of the song, where the bass hasn't come in yet.

startofmusic.jpg

One of the lower voltages I saw while the bass was hitting, usually when it was changing notes.

lowestitgot.jpg

Well, all in all everything seemed fine. During the song, voltage fluctuated between ~13.8V and ~13.2V. Lowest voltage I observed was 13.17V. I'm up to anymore suggestions by anyone. Maybe Jacob can ring in.

Well here's a pic from the game yesterday. My car is the one on the right. I'm the guy in the blue shirt BTW, lol.

twinkies.jpg

Edited by crazyassazian

that means you have plenty of power at the battery but you need to do the same at the amp to see if you are getting voltage dropping from a bad ground or to small of power wire or something like that

Well went back outside and here's what I got, pretty easy to take pictures voltage readings, when you hold down the button on a DSLR. Well here's what I got same song (Young Jeezy- Hypnotize) at full tilt.

Car completely off.

ampcaroff.jpg

Car on, audio off.

ampcaronaudiooff.jpg

Beginning of song, no bass yet.

songhigh.jpg

When first constant bass note being played.

ampsongstartnobass.jpg

One of the lower voltages I observed. 11.96V lowest I saw.

amplowest.jpg

Well, let me know what you guys think.

I'm lost, does the sub still work? check the coils with a dmm. A failure in the coil could of caused a short which would mean no resistance to the amp. Hence blowing the fuses. If the sub works, check all other power & speaker wiring.

I'm thinking that maybe the long period of time that you bumped might have lowered the voltage over time. I remember one time a friend and I were breaking in/testing his sub, and so we had my car playing solid for over 2 hours, and I got back in and my voltage was 13.4 idle (as opposed to the normal 14.9 idle) and it took it about a day to get back to normal, so maybe that is what happened?