Sign in to follow this  
snb778

18" FI Q. not QUITE loud enough... time for a change maybe....

Hey guys whats up

I am looking for suggestions.. I am very open to Ideas.

I have an 18" Q in a 7.1cu. ft. enclosure running @2 ohms on 2000W rated...bout 3/5gain... 3x 4" Aero's, all 14" long. Its in a 99Nissan Maxima

I am pretty happy with its performance, but I am looking for just a little wiggle room, and right now when im playin the Q at max volume, is where I want my wiggle room, so......I don't know if I should try tuning a little higher to get a little more output, or if im choking my trunk....

I was thinking of a few other ideas... trade the Q and get

A. and HDC318( if they makeone)

B. An 18" BTL

C. 18" RE MT

D. 2x 15" Q's (if i have enough room to port them)

E. 4x 10" _____ cheaper subs and seal em

as I said, im open to suggestions, so im just throwing out ideas. I don't want to spend much more money though after I sell this Q for hopefully about 300, so add another 100 bucks or so.

HELP ME OUT! Thanks!

nightshade 18...

to much over budget.. I have about 400 bucks to work with... i'd go to about 450MAX

someone... anyone.. please throw out some suggestions... I jsut took a vid.. i'll get it up tomorrow... Not as much flexing as my last setup w/ the 2 15" R's... but it sounds louder... which is ok with me, i jsut want a little bit more output... I would just think w/ the 3x 4" aero's this thing would more more air than my last setup

unless you plan on running more power i wouldnt bother switching sub a direct swap with a btl will get you a little morein the lowerend but less around 40hz if you retune the box you will get more output at 40hz but lose the lowerend the q18 really needs a bigger box and more port area if you swap out to a bl and add 2 more areo's same length you will notice a difference in output but still lose a little lowend

Get a BTL, that should be plenty loud.

unless you plan on running more power i wouldnt bother switching sub a direct swap with a btl will get you a little morein the lowerend but less around 40hz if you retune the box you will get more output at 40hz but lose the lowerend the q18 really needs a bigger box and more port area if you swap out to a bl and add 2 more areo's same length you will notice a difference in output but still lose a little lowend

I dont mind losing low end if I can get more output... Im only running @ 2 ohms now.. I could drop to 1 and get an EST> 3000W which I would HOPE is enough for a 15" BTL.. if not comfortable for an 18"... but I dunno if I have proper space for an 18

You need WAY more port.

Thats choking that thing.

thats what Precisions Ports website told me to give it... Its SOOOOOOOOO frusterating.. I PM'ed both guys at FI and asked them about the port.. I made a thread on this site AND CA.com asking for help with the port.. Nobody wanted to help me out so.... I dunno what to do.. Yea I can build another box ported differently, but I can't find the help I need.

You think I would be better of running a 15" w/ a bigger box and bigger port IF a new box for the Q w/ more port doesnt work?? Or go down to 2 12's

someone said 2 15" Q's would work in 7.1 cu. ft...??

Yea I can build another box ported differently, but I can't find the help I need.

Look in the Fi Technical section, all the information you need is given.

the only thing I found was how much port someone gave an 18 in a 6.? cu. ft box... didnt find anything about how much it wants

3 4" Aeros aren't choking it, you probably wouldn't notice much difference if you added 1 or 2 more, you didn't do anything wrong here.

Honestly, I wouldn't beat around around the bush if an 18" sub isn't enough, I would go with at least 2 15s or another 18 if possible. Like others have said, a little higher tune may help also...

is 2 12" subs really downgrading in cone area?? someone told me that...

anybody know some pairs of 15's that would work in 7.1cu. ft NET.?? someone has said 2 15" Q's could work...nightshades are to expensive

or should I try to 15" BTL or 18" HDC3

SPL15 or 18

MT18

4x 10" cheap subs sealed... throw em at me

you're going about this the wrong way I think. Two 12s=226.08 cone area vs 254.34 that the 18 has. two 15s is more than the 18 but you should try a different box design first. If that doesnt suffice I would get another q18 and do sealed. 3.5-4 cubes each I know is under spec but it prolly wont know much difference and it would keep you around 7.5 total which is close to where you are now.

you're going about this the wrong way I think. Two 12s=226.08 cone area vs 254.34 that the 18 has. two 15s is more than the 18 but you should try a different box design first. If that doesnt suffice I would get another q18 and do sealed. 3.5-4 cubes each I know is under spec but it probably wont know much difference and it would keep you around 7.5 total which is close to where you are now.

im going to try a new box first.. I gotta get together with some guys in my area...have them take a look, get it on the meter (i do care to an extent what numbers I can do... I dont wanna be sub 140's)

but as far as another q18... don't have the money

Id go the least expensive route first as you can simply try and add a 4th 4" port... looks like itll hop the tuning up 4-5 Hz and gain you some output... at the expense of the bottom end (which you had mentioned isnt a major issue). Even adding the extra port it still allows you to block it off and run the original setup/tuning as well...

BTL 18 would work well in that space and have plenty of extra headroom as far as durability goes... but costs quite a bit more than a 4" aeroport kit does.

Thanks,

Scott

alright, well i'll give it a try when I have some time.. workin through the weekend.. hope to see some people at Sundays meet in IL.

thanks for the help!