bigtoepfer

What would you do with 100k tax free dollars?

The reason i ask is becaues I fell in walmart about 6 weeks ago and broke my patella really bad. And i went to the lawyer today to discuss the whole situation. Basically i've been thinking for the last 5 weeks what i would do if i got a bunch of money extra from a lawsuit/settlement.

Did you slip on something wet, or was it a random fall?

If it actually was something they did that created an unsafe environment for people, sue their asses off, but if it was a spilled-hot-coffee moment, eh.

I would pay off my Blazer, put about 5K into lifting it, bigger tires, winch, etc. and then get an economy car for everyday use. The rest would go to ccollege and savings.

What i fell on no one really knows. I was walking and slipped. BUT the stuff i slipped on is still on my sandal. So i don't think it was water. I think it was some kind of oil or lubricant. And i fell on my patella and shattered it. major surgery. And its been 6 weeks and we're still hoping that its gonna be strong enough to start bending. I'm afraid its not.

sandals!.... those are slick as it is.

while yes i understand what ur saying. I've worn sadals more than shoes for the last 8 years. So i'm pretty confident in my walking abilities with the sandals. I'd admit i've slipped at my old college when i was wet or in walmart when the floor was wet. But i usualy recover from something like that before i end up on the floor. This slip happend so fast no one would have recovred. It was that slick.

Hmmm...

I don't know what to say about this.

I mean I was working, making some money to pay for gas and some food, at a restaurant cleaning up. I mopped up someones puke, and went into the shed to get a "Caution" sign for the wet floor. In the about 30 seconds I was gone, someone walked by and fell on the wet spot. They ended up fracturing their elbow. They were very reasonable, and accepted my multiple apologies kindly. I honestly thank the Lord they didn't sue me. I would be up chit creek without something even resembling a paddle...

As for the question, I would should sue them for enough to cover medical expenses. If I did decide to sue for 100,000 pieces of paper, I would use however much I NEEDED, and give the rest of it to the Salvation Army or something similar. If I could never walk again, I would use some of the 100,000 to buy a nice power scooter and other accessories, and live off the rest while finding a job, and if I had some left over after I got a job, I would probably give it to charity.

That's what I would do at least.

I'd buy about 10 more SPL-12s from Mach 5, and build a crazy ass walkthrough in my truck. Put a 6.2L diesel in it, 5 speed manual, paint it, full airbags, 22s, .... then sit on the rest and be VERY GREEEEDY....

and buy land... as they don't make that anymores.

i would hire 4-5 hitmen and get rid of a couple people real quick then make as many loans as possible and max out all my credit cards and go live in thailand like a king for the rest of my life.

while yes i understand what ur saying. I've worn sadals more than shoes for the last 8 years. So i'm pretty confident in my walking abilities with the sandals. I'd admit i've slipped at my old college when i was wet or in walmart when the floor was wet. But i usualy recover from something like that before i end up on the floor. This slip happend so fast no one would have recovred. It was that slick.

I wish you a fast recovery, but your claim is pretty...slippery :)

I bet you'll get some money out of them. Whether or not that's right is another issue...

Pay off debt, then invest the rest and continue working my way through school.

you don't believe in sueing i take it? Honestly if i get 20-25k I'll be perfect. i can pay off my car and debt. I'm not greedy. But i woudln't mind having that much

if i had 100k i would buy two decent cars probably 5k-10k a peice a small suv somthing like a rav4 and a sedan probably an accord with a kid on the way i got to think practical i would then pay off all my debt 10k there and finish my project car 87 porsche 944 nothing major just paint new carpets seats some rims about 3-5k then a nice sq system not even sure but it would be about 10k total 2k just for deadening i would also get a nice apartment pay rent in full for a year so i can move out of my moms basement 20k would go to a college fund for the kid and i would then go on a little vacation about 5k the rest would go in the bank

I believe in suing 100% where it is applicable.

I just see more and more cases of people suing where it would be best left alone. But I definitely think you should sue for medical expenses/time lost out of work, as you would not have fallen if it wasn't for them.

you don't believe in sueing i take it? Honestly if i get 20-25k I'll be perfect. i can pay off my car and debt. I'm not greedy. But i woudln't mind having that much

I'm not a big fan of how litigious we've become as a society, no. I could see covering your medical bills fully, making up for wages you might have earned in the time it takes to recover, things like that...but it's not Wal-Mart's responsibility to pay off all your debts :)

Maybe I just have an extreme of that position, though.

I'm not a big fan of how litigious we've become as a society, no. I could see covering your medical bills fully, making up for wages you might have earned in the time it takes to recover, things like that...but it's not Wal-Mart's responsibility to pay off all your debts :)

You don't. You are saying/thinking the exact same as me. Just more elaborately. ;)

I would pay off my wife's truck, our school debt and our last remaining CC. It would be gone from those 3 things.

Exactly. So much oversuing is a problem in this country. The company will make that money back one way or another, that's for sure, and usually by passing the buck on to the next consumer. Insurance rates are higher across the board from this too. If it seriously was a negligence on walmart's part, sue for medical bills and lost wages and maybe a g or two for the pain. As Jim said, it's not their responsibility to pay off your debt.

pay off all my bills ($2650) then put the rest as a down payment on a house so my loan isnt quite so much.

but as for sueing, i am for it if i get hurt and need $$$ to cover medical expenses and time missed at work, that is about it. all the suing going on, there is a reason other that so many places are slowly raising their prices, not just the economy.

Edited by truckaudioman

Bills paid off, new car for me, donation to american cancer society in my grandfather's name, as well as a stroke research place in my paternal grandmother's name, and last but not least invest in gold, land, and some foreign currency.

J

if the injury has inhibited your ability work like you did before the incident then id def take that into consideration when taking on the law suit.

if i had 100k id pay off school. and put the resting into land or gold or something that. and spend alittle on the system of course.

with ppl sueing corporations like walmart and mcdonalds and winning millions i guess you'll have to decide whats a fair amount.

didn't some woman get a couple million from mcdonalds cause the coffee was hot and burnt her!? its a very tempting option...

that lady might have actually gotten 30k. Because of all the stupid lawsuit stuff involved all of the press and stuff involved. Alot of insurance companies and stuff have blown those things up on the news and internet to make it look worse than it is. And as far as walmart making things more expensive because i sued them. Seems like an excuse to me.

But at the same time i see where everyone is coming from.

Here's my problem with this.

You're talking about what you're going to do with money you may be getting. You show no concern for your own well-being or the fact that your knee may be very seriously damaged and hinder something as easy as walking for the rest of your life, which would be a reason to sue for anything more than medical bills and missed wages. It's obvious what your intent is. I don't think you should get a dime. What's worse is, you put it on a public forum, and don't think for a minute that as soon as they see a lawsuit, their high-dollar lawyers, along with the insurance company's hired guns, won't be prying into your every move.

what u say is true. BUT i simply asked what someone would do given the money. Didn't say anyting about well i want 100k from walmart so i can go waste it all. What i care about is the damages they caused if thats taken care of i'm more than happy. period

remodel my whole house, and buy a new ride. probably a rav4.

if any is left buy my companies stock when it splits