Sign in to follow this  
subwoofery

Info on Clarus 5"

Hi guyz,

I'd like to know a few things:

Can the 5" midbass in the Clarus line be bought individually?

What is the mounting depth?

I have 250rms of clean power, what crossover frequency would you recommend? 125hz @ 18dB ok? or higher?

Here's what I am planning:

Eclipse CD7200mkII

Image Dynamics CD1Ev.3 horns -- DLS A2

HAT Clarus 5" -- DLS A4 bridged

Stereo Integrity BM 12" (when released) -- DLS A2

I want to put the subwoofer underneath the driver's seat in my BMW 316ti. Believe I have enough space. Since I am not concerned about subwoofer localization (LP 80hz and less). I can LP the sub higher @ for example 200hz @ 18dB. (I know this is not subwoofer material but just wanted to know)

Thank you,

Kelvin

Edited by subwoofery

Hi guyz,

I'd like to know a few things:

Can the 5" midbass in the Clarus line be bought individually?

What is the mounting depth?

I have 250rms of clean power, what crossover frequency would you recommend? 125hz @ 18dB ok? or higher?

Here's what I am planning:

Eclipse CD7200mkII

Image Dynamics CD1Ev.3 horns -- DLS A2

HAT Clarus 5" -- DLS A4 bridged

Stereo Integrity BM 12" (when released) -- DLS A2

I want to put the subwoofer underneath the driver's seat in my BMW 316ti. Believe I have enough space. Since I am not concerned about subwoofer localization (LP 80hz and less). I can LP the sub higher @ for example 200hz @ 18dB. (I know this is not subwoofer material but just wanted to know)

Thank you,

Kelvin

contact scott buwalda at sales@hybrid-audio.com I'm not for sure if he will sell the mids seperately, but it's worth asking him. I use the clarus 5.25 speakers as midbass, and they sound good. so far, everyone has told me that they are very impressed with the strong midbass coming from such a small speaker. :)

by the way, i have my midbass crossed at 56-250hz

Edited by ragnaroksq

If you need a smaller format midbass, look at the Legatia L6.

I can only use 5.25" in the lower front door since I do not want to cut anything. Believe that there isn't much space between the metal sheet and the door panel, not sure. If I were to use a spacer, it would be a really thin one.

You suggest the Legatia L6. Are those shallower? or something like that? Or have you already mounted some in BMWs without any modification?

What is the mounting depth on the Clarus 5"?

And also, which setting (HP and LP) should I be using to be able to use the full 250rms safely?

Thanks a lot,

Kelvin

Edited by subwoofery

contact scott buwalda at sales@hybrid-audio.com I'm not for sure if he will sell the mids seperately, but it's worth asking him. I use the clarus 5.25 speakers as midbass, and they sound good. so far, everyone has told me that they are very impressed with the strong midbass coming from such a small speaker. :)

I know that Scott has decided while listening intensively the HP on the crossover. Do you please know the HP on the passives?

Thank you,

Kelvin

I know that Scott has decided while listening intensively the HP on the crossover. Do you please know the HP on the passives?

Thank you,

Kelvin

hp on the passive x-over is 5,500 hz at 12db

Good to know. Thank you

Do you guyz think that it can withstand 250rms? I might never be listening to that high of a volume but it is always a good thing to know. Do not want to buy something and burn it lol.

Thank you guyz.

Kelvin

Good to know. Thank you

Do you guyz think that it can withstand 250rms? I might never be listening to that high of a volume but it is always a good thing to know. Do not want to buy something and burn it lol.

Thank you guyz.

Kelvin

sub,

click the link for the clarus 5.25 manual. you will find all the information you need. http://www.hybrid-audio.com/Clarus_Master_Manual_Final.pdf

Thank you James.

Checked the manual on the 5,25. Seems like the depth is good. However I am still wondering about the RMS/highpass thing.

Having:

Horns @ 107dB 1w/1m

The Clarus @ 89dB 1w/1m

I want to make use of the most out of that 5,25. Even if it means highpassing it @ 160hz/18dB

Second thing is while talking to people on the web, the pretty much all think that it is not a good idea.

They are saying that because the natural function of the car does not occur in that situation, there will be almost no lows. Can someone clarify this please?

Thanks guyz,

Kelvin

Thank you James.

Checked the manual on the 5,25. Seems like the depth is good. However I am still wondering about the RMS/highpass thing.

Having:

Horns @ 107dB 1w/1m

The Clarus @ 89dB 1w/1m

I want to make use of the most out of that 5,25. Even if it means highpassing it @ 160hz/18dB

Second thing is while talking to people on the web, the pretty much all think that it is not a good idea.

They are saying that because the natural function of the car does not occur in that situation, there will be almost no lows. Can someone clarify this please?

Thanks guyz,

Kelvin

i would try different crossover points until i had the "desired" sound. i purchased the 5.25 clarus set without hearing them first, and i have them tuned in now and they sound awesome. by the way, 250 watts rms is too much for these speakers. do you have access to a processor? if so, adjust the x-over points and see what happens. keep us posted on your progress :)

Will do. On Monday I'll have a better understanding of what I need.

I have a BMW 316ti (euro model) and have made research on the web but don't know max depth and max size for the speakers.

I know that most US series 3 have the speakers attached to the door panel (plastic ones) - and I think that euro models have like 5,25" (from looking at the grills) sitting in some funky brackets.

If I can, I know that I'll be trying to use the L6. If not, then the C5...

Funny thing is that I have every pieces of equipment except for the mids :P

HU - Horns - Ampsx3

YIHAAAAA!!!!!!!

Seems like I'll be able to use 6,5" speakers without too much modification. Will order some mids now.

Will send pics of the final stage. Nothing too fancy since it is "only" my girl's car :P

Kelvin