Sign in to follow this  
Stephan

Verfication of wiring

Seems to be hard for me to find wiring diagrams for my setup. I have a single DVC 1 ohm sub, and a 2 ohm mono channel amp. Right now it's wired at .5 ohm and the amp or sub is cutting out at around 3/5 way up, not sure if it's the subs or the amp because the protect light does not come on, but it acts as if it goes into protect. I decided to wire to over 2 ohms.

This would be wired from

amp + to sub +

amp - to sub -

sub + to -

for a 2 ohm load, or a 4 ohm? 2 right?

Also, the amp has dual outputs, and i've read that I can wire up further by using both output terminals.

Edited by Stephan

Seems to be hard for me to find wiring diagrams for my setup. I have a single DVC 1 ohm sub, and a 2 ohm mono channel amp. Right now it's wired at .5 ohm and the amp or sub is cutting out at around 3/5 way up, not sure if it's the subs or the amp because the protect light does not come on, but it acts as if it goes into protect. I decided to wire to over 2 ohms.

This would be wired from

amp + to sub +

amp - to sub -

sub + to -

for a 2 ohm load, or a 4 ohm? 2 right?

Also, the amp has dual outputs, and i've read that I can wire up further by using both output terminals.

what you wanna do, on the sub, series the coils, then out to your amp. so it would look like this: + to - ( + from one coil to - on the other coil) then + and - to amp ( open + terminal to amp & open - terminal to amp) and if the amp is mono, it won't matter which set of outputs you use as they are internally summed.

- +

Thank you, that's how I thought, I wired it and the amp didn't shut off a single time, cranked amp all the way up and no problems!! Thank you =)

wait i have a 2 channel amp, and a DVC 2 ohm sub, how would i wire it up to my amp for a 2 ohm final

wait i have a 2 channel amp, and a DVC 2 ohm sub, how would i wire it up to my amp for a 2 ohm final

I am pretty sure you can only do 1 ohm or 4ohm. I am still not completely savvy with wiring yet however so don't quote me!

you don't. If it's like most class A/B 2 channels, you can bridge the amplifier and put a 4 ohm load on it, which is what your sub would be if you wire the coils in series.

so i cant get a 2 ohm final? only 1 or 4? my amp is bridgeable

why do you think you need a 2 ohm load? Because your amp box says 2 ohm stable? Read the fine print, and you'll likely see that 2 ohm stable is in stereo. Which means it's stable to 4 ohms when bridged, which is what you would want to do if you have a 2 ohm DVC sub to run on it.

why do you think you need a 2 ohm load? Because your amp box says 2 ohm stable? Read the fine print, and you'll likely see that 2 ohm stable is in stereo. Which means it's stable to 4 ohms when bridged, which is what you would want to do if you have a 2 ohm DVC sub to run on it.

What exactly is bridging? Sharing power between channels to add resistance?

What exactly is bridging? Sharing power between channels to add resistance?

No, there is no resistance added when bridging. It's just a way to use the power of both channels instead of 1.

For instance, if you have a 4 ohm speaker and a 2 channel amp rated at 50 x 2 @ 4 ohms, 100 x 2 @ 2 ohms, and 200 x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged, you could either wire the speaker up to one channel and get 50 watts to it, or bridge the amp and get 200 watts to the speaker.

yeah, ive always had mono block D amps, this is my first amp thats a 2 channel (cuz i got it for free) and 4 ohms bridged wired in series

So basically hook the inputs to both + + and both - - of the amps?

So basically hook the inputs to both + + and both - - of the amps?

no. to bridge you use the negative from one channel and the positive from the other channel. *MAKE SURE AND READ YOU OWNERS MANUAL*

this is easy. you basically wire the + from the amp to one set of coils. the (-) from the amp to the other coil. Then, you run a wire from empty terminal on one side to the empty terminal on the other. Done. :)