Sign in to follow this  
luckydogg72

How to do a 16v system

Ok here is what I was wondering if I get a 16v alternator an ran hc16v with the 12 an 16 volt terminal would I just connect the alt to the battery 16v side to charge. Then run my 12v electronics from the 12v post an the amp to the 16v. Just wondering if this is how it would work cause i'm considering this setup if it doesn't get to much more complicated. Thanks an sry if this all sounds to stupid or wrong.

im not understanding what ur askin?

the alt has a 16 and 12v post on it?

Yes you are right, the 16 volt side of the battery would need to be tied in with the 16v alternator and everything else on the vehicle side would have to go to the 12 volt side.....Ive read up on it and considered doing it but,...from what i understand that is correct......

i believe you also need to run a voltage step down from the alt to charge the 12v side otherwise all your electrical will see is the 12v not 14.4 like it should.

i believe you also need to run a voltage step down from the alt to charge the 12v side otherwise all your electrical will see is the 12v not 14.4 like it should.

Look up the Harrison Labs fluxcap.. I just picked one up and started using it, The bottom post wires to the stock battery (12 volt) and then theres a shared ground between your 12v and 16v batterys, and then the top post charges your 16v batterys. The fluxcap i ordered charges at 17.9 volts, and i raised it up to 19 to try and get max power out of my sundown, not realizing i only gain efficiency over 16.5 volts on the amp.. I need to open the fluxcap back up and reset the voltage, but its a pain to open up with the bolts. I was going to run a step-down and use a external regulator and HO alternator, but this has made it so much easier. Once i get my real system going in here, and not a temp one, i'll make a writeup about how much i love this dc to dc converter.

You can time travel with that flux-cap too lol

i have a question about that HL Flux cap..if you had the 100amp model for example and a 250amp alt...would 150 amps of your alt be waisted(not charging batts)

yes u can do that or u also can use ur existing 12v battery under the hood with 2 2v cells. Its the same thing as running a kinetik hc16v battery but cheaper. and what do u know i have 2 2v cell for 50 bucks shipped lol

no, only charge the 16v side