manbeer

Question on Reconing RL-P 12 - What VC config would be best - how much

I am getting a blown RL-P 12 from a friend and plan on reconing it. I could send it in, but reconing is something that i have really wanted to try myself and i think that this is a good opportunity. I know that i can't but the parts directly from soundsplinter, but i would imagine there are a few options for parts. My question is, if i plan on running the single driver to my MTX 81000d, should i go for a D2 or D4 setup? At 4 ohms my amp is rated at 500rms @ 12.5 volts. At 2 ohms, it's 1000rms @ 12.5, and from what i have heard they were fairly underrated. so for the hell of it assuming i can give the woofer either 600 watts or 1200 watts ballpark, which should i go for? i am thinking of just getting the D4 and wiring it at 2 ohms, then being extra conservative on the gains. Also, do different parts change the power handling capabilities when reconing?

bump- i just want to know if anyone has been giving the RL-P >1kw daily and how it is holding up

Can't say you'd really use it all of the time. I had an RL-P18 on 1200 watts for a while but if I ever used more than 100 watts the mids and highs would start falling behind as well as be too loud for continuous listening without hearing damage.

Actually, I bottomed out that woofer with say 800 watts at approximately 5 Hz with the tune at 12-13 Hz. Needless to say, I had to get a recone for it.

I'd go for the D4 seeing as the headroom won't hurt as long as you run a SSF if you're going vented.

Edited by Matt5112

My RL-p held 1000 watts fine. Did it need it? Heck no. :)