SonicFlux

Long time RL-i8 owner seeking upgrade advice

Hey Mike and crew,

I'm a long time owner of an RL-i8 S4 looking to upgrade and need to think through my options. Here's what I've been running the last 3 years:

2005 Tacoma double cab (very limited space behind back seats)

one RL-i8 S4 in a sealed 0.3ft^3 3/4mdf box

two soundstream reference 700s amps (one for mids/highs, one for the sub)

amps and sub behind back seat, thus the reason for only one sub

First let me say I've been very happy with the rl-i8 purchase, and Mike took the time to reply to my questions which is why I'm coming back. It's been an awesome little sub and has held up well over 3 years of real world conditions. But ultimately I've always desired a bit more bass. I know two 12" (if I had the room) is overkill for what I'm looking for though...

So a problem has finally developed with one of the 700s amps after 12 years, and I'm looking at replacing them with an Alpine PDX 4.100 and a PDX 1.600. This will allow me to build two separate sealed enclosures of ~0.6ft^3 gross volume. And I'm thinking of the Alpines solely due to their size.

So, would two RL-i10 D4 fit the bill? That's 300watts going to each 10" in ~0.5ft^3 net volume.

Or would using two RL-i8 in the same scenario provide better SQ/linearity since they are smaller speakers operating in the same sealed volume and closer to their optimal rating?

I also thought about getting the beefier PDX 1.1000, especially if it can help compensate for the smaller enclosers. But if the 1.600 will do the job fine, no need for overkill. What are your thoughts?

Seems a bit small for RL-I 10"s but I've never used them so I wouldn't know. Mike is the best person to ask. Do you have a second RL-I 8" to use?

I would personally opt for a 2nd 8". The size & space you have available would be ideal for them. We're running 2 ported in the wife's car with a Directed 1500D (600w each) and we couldn't be happier after 3yrs.

Edited by oxsign

Let me clarify just in case, that's one RL-i10 in 0.5ft^3 net each, not both subs in 0.5ft^3 total.

If 8" is the way to go, would there be any issues using a dual 2ohm with my existing single 4ohm?

Let me clarify just in case, that's one RL-i10 in 0.5ft^3 net each, not both subs in 0.5ft^3 total.

If 8" is the way to go, would there be any issues using a dual 2ohm with my existing single 4ohm?

.5 is more than enough for an 8" or 10". You will have issues with mixing ohms in your subs. Just look around, and I'm sure you can find a S4 RL-i.

Reposted from email response:

I'm sorry I didn't catch your thread on the forums earlier, my apologies! I think the RL-i10's would be just fine in your proposed enclosures, as would a pair of 8's for that matter. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, I've been out of my RL-i8's for quite some time now... but I do still have plenty of 10's.

You definitely won't have to worry about poor sound quality with the 10's, that's not a consideration. The only (minor) consideration is that the limited airspace may result in less than the full potential peak and average output from the RL-i10... but if you can throw 500 watts at each 10 (as evidenced by your suggestion of the 1.1000 amp), you should make up for that no problem. Also, 0.57 cu ft net per RL-i10 is really not that small to begin with, as I've had people using them in 0.4 cu ft with a smile.

Any other questions, you know where to find me...

^^ That shows how good the RL-i 8 is that people will join the forums to make sure they don't miss out on one. :)

But I agree with Mike, as the RL-i 10 is just as good as the 8, just more output potential, and from my experience Sound Splinter drivers on average can preform very well in smaller then average boxes.

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be purchasing a pair of RL-i10 soon. It may be a month or so, but I'll post back with my subjective opinion of how everything turned out.

Dont forget about Mike's orphan 8's.

Maybe not the same as the RLi8, but they sound just as good as my Audiopulse Epic 8" & are a little shallower.

Small ported box with a PDX 600.1 and it hit just as loud & hard as the 12" Type R it replaced. (& in a box half the size)

Damn I love these little woofers.

(ordered another one from him today actually)

Just based on their name and who is selling it, I want one but have no spot for it.