mrray13

RL-p vs XXX

ok folks...

here goes an impromto comparsion between a proven talked about sub, the re XXX against a relative newcomer, the soundsplinter RL-p

first things first..some side by side pics...

rlpvsxxx0011hy.jpg

head on, they look like relatives...

rlpvsxxx0029jv.jpg

from the side, the xxx is deeper..8 1/4" compared to the rl-p 6 5/8"

rlpvsxxx0031pj.jpg

a little different angle... xxx 12 spoke venuzula, rl-p 4 spoke..

rlpvsxxx0044sh.jpg

a close up of the xxx terminal's..while i like the set screw design and 8 gauge input, i don't like the unwoven tinsel leads. for a sub with this kinda potential, i would've thought woven tinsel leads would have been in order

rlpvsxxx0050zi.jpg

the SS's spring loaded terminals....used by many...i actually lie the set screws of the xxx better (mike, are u reading this?) but the SS has woven in tinsel leads..which i like better then the xxx's

rlpvsxxx0065jl.jpg

the beef...the xxx has the bling, while the SS has the bring it on look..personal taste here...i like the no chit attitude of the black rl-p, but the xxx would be sweet inverted!

rlpvsxxx0072xn.jpg

another view of the magneets...

rlpvsxxx0083id.jpg

in the box next to the hifonics...the weight of this thing is something..like 58pds..makes for an interesting time installing it by urself in an vertical enviroment...lol

rlpvsxxx0090ju.jpg

close up in the box....

review in a minute...lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Review review review. Now. :P

Be interesting to hear your opinion after a few days of listening. And what your wife thinks - get her opinion as well.

- Steve

Kent I can't wait, your killing me,

whats the box size again? I ask because I think the RL-p can run a smaller box with the same power, but I have not run the RL-p yet

i wanna trade my orion in for an rl-p

or maybe...

come on with that review...

reminds me i have to brave the snow and do my W6 vs 187 battle

ok..

on to the review..

this is based soley on three opinions..mine, my wife's and a good friend...we have all three heard both woofers in this set up...

speaking of which..the setup..

1.25ft^3 sealed enclosure pushed by an hifonics nemesis nx750..doing 750wrms(rated at 1 ohm)..crossover on amp set to 100hz, no subsonic...everything else factory monsoon in a 2004 grand prix.

so away we go...

ok..so i played everything from outkast's speakerboxx intro to def lepperd's vault album..

these subs sound sweet..they both keep up quite well with very little overhang. they are fun to watch and nice to listen too.

as to which has better sq..it's definitely a draw...u won't be disappointed with either one.

as to which plays lower, in this application, the rl-p wins hands down. my wife's exact words," it's (the xxx) doesn't go as low. the seats don't shake as much"....that was the opinion expressed by all three of us. so the rl-p wins here.

spl...while i don't have a meter...they were very close here. my wife couldn't tell a difference while ryan and myself both thought the xxx was louder as it went up in the frequencies. the xxx wins here, but not by much..of course a mic would be needed to tell the whole truth.

power handling...both handle the hifonics exceptionaly well. both could handle more power. the xxx is rated for more 1600wrms vs the rl-p's 500wrms. so by rating the xxx wins. i don't have anything that produces anymore power at one ohm, so i can't get into which sub can handle the most.

overall...it's a tossup. the lighter weight of the rl-p makes it easier to handle and it does play lower in this application. the xxx, due to power rating, should have the potential to get uite a bit louder and in this case seemed to be louder with the power on hand. the xxx might just need a bigger box in this case even though re recommends .8ft^3. it just doesn't reach real low sealed, even in 1.25ft^3.

if i had to pick a winner, it would be the rl-p. price, easier to handle and sq bieng a touch better due to the fact that it does play lower gives it the edge..in this application. more room, more power, the xxx is definitely a contender..no disrespect intended for this sub. after a few days of breakin, i'll update this review.....

maybe not as indepth as everyone would like, but i'm lazy..lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

WOW I am suprised,

way to go sound splinter

cool, we need vids

interesting because price and performance the RL-p won,

wonder if more power was introduced if the results would change

i'd like to do vids, but no digi camcorder..lol

a ported box test is next....

2.5ft^3, 36in^2 of port tuned somewhere between 30-35hz....i haven't decided yet.

still 750wrms of power (though i might wire them up for one ohm off my memphis 1500d and let them have 3000wrms for a brief minute or so...will not let either one get hurt!)

and in my pick up....

that review is coming within the next week!!!

stay tuned!

can't wait,

interesting because price and performance the RL-p won,

wonder if more power was introduced if the results would change

price really wasn't a factor...in this application, box size being most important, the rl-p won. i just don't see how more power would've helped the xxx get lower...louder, yes, lower???

in the end, i said that a person would need to chose based on budget and area to work in.

lower budget, smaller area..the rl-p is a better choice.

more money, more room..the xxx would appear to be the better decision.

again, and i can't stress this enough, in this application of 1.25ft^3, the rl-p performed just a little better. had the xxx kept up on the bottom end, it would have been a tie. these subs, at this power level, are that close.

after i do ported, i'll have a better picture of which is the overall best sub. the ported box will be built towards the xxx sql specs..but not from re's site. that place is wacky..lol..

dont worry about who it pisses off, it was a well done comparo and the elements were pretty equal so I think it is a very clean review for sure

thanks all..

hopefully, i'll have the vented review done...as well as a higher power review..by this time next week....i gotta build a vented box and hopefully my trade will go thru and i'll have 1200wrms @4ohm and 2400wrms @1ohm.....plenty of juice..and i'll throw both back in the 1.25ft^3 sealed and see if the xxx comes on stronger at the bottom with more power..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

you definatly twisted some peoples balls on this one *muhahahaha*

so who wants to trade my orion for a ss

you definatly twisted some peoples balls on this one  *muhahahaha*

you just got your H2, has it even had time to break in?

you definatly twisted some peoples balls on this one  *muhahahaha*

the twisting just got turned up a few notches....

muhahahahaha :ready2go::ready2go::ready2go:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

And people always say I'm crazy cuz I prefer my traditional underhung Magnum ot that of the XXX or Brahma.

Good job Kent, and truthfully, it doesn;t matter who wins anyways. I don't think I need to delve further on this one.

Definitely many thanks for the review Kent. I know a couple of you suggested that I might have wanted to step into that thread over at caraudio.com - not to say I wasn't watching it, but I just felt that it's best I stay out of it given the direction it was taking. Me saying anything about power would be futile anyway, since as most of us know, power constraints rely on much more than just the woofer being tested.

I will eagerly await your comparison with more power and in larger boxes. I haven't played with an XXX myself (unless you consider past girlfriends wink2.gif), so I have no idea how they will stack up in the proposed new environment. Given the current results though, it should be a tight race! grin2.gif

Keep on keepin' on brother!

And people always say I'm crazy cuz I prefer my traditional underhung Magnum ot that of the XXX or Brahma.

Good job Kent, and truthfully, it doesn;t matter who wins anyways.  I don't think I need to delve further on this one.

I agree with you in that respect, the CMPX2 is under hung, I prefer the sound of it to the Brahama, it had a little more presence that it was a true sub than some sound device, hard to explain

i think i'll hang on to the h2... and just pick up a ss in the summer or fall...

or maybe if i have the space in my next car i'll pick up another h2 and another pa 2400

and a battery... and alternator... and a bunch of 0awg wire and and and and and and and :ugh2: