mrray13

RL-p vs XXX

hey, just thought i'd drop a note in here about another one of my reply's...lol...nothing in anger however..

i have been busy, so i haven't had a chance to build any boxes..tomorrow evening looks to be the first good chance of that happening..

i too look forward to seeing how the subs stack up ported, larger sealed and with more power.

i have left the xxx in the car (against the wife's wishes) and i will say, it gets loud, it sounds clean, but it is lacking on the bottom end. i have been beating the hell outa of it too..as evidenced by the now blown right front factory speaker..lol

anyway..i'm off to check out a new install...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Sealed

This XXX12 needs decent power to perform at it

ssssshh. don't tell teh David....

he already knows..it's in his forum...lol

but i guess that guy bought his xxx and is entitled to "talk smack" about it... :lol2::ohsnap:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:slayer:

I mean so what does this thing need? 2k in a huge sealed to drop down low?

Ported... I wasn't impressed w/ mine sealed. It just doesn't seem like a sealed box driver. I went from a 137.7 on the old a/c to a 137.7 on the new termlab switching from sealed to ported (low tune in a convertible). That is anywhere from a 6-10 db increase. Picked up huge lowend too.

You will like the results once you go ported.

I appreciate all the comments everyone. It's good to know since I don't have direct experience with the XXX.. but at least now if a customer comes to me with a yearning to throw in 2kW in a ported box, I can defer them to different subs like the XXX while stating that mine is designed for less power ported, or optimally a sealed enclosure.

Of course... I don't like giving away business so maybe I'll just have to start carrying a sub that spec's at 2000 wrms shiftyeyes.gif

Ported... I wasn't impressed w/ mine sealed. It just doesn't seem like a sealed box driver. I went from a 137.7 on the old a/c to a 137.7 on the new termlab switching from sealed to ported (low tune in a convertible). That is anywhere from a 6-10 db increase. Picked up huge lowend too.

You will like the results once you go ported.

i am for sure leaning this way as well...my ported box is about done....

also, geoffry(spl) at ca.com doesn't like his 15 xxx sealed in 2.5ft^3 with a viper 1200.1. his words.."it gets loud..but that's all..sounds clean..but doesn't change the air pressure"

so i wonder why noone really spoke of this sooner? i guess they were afraid of being flamed..no offense 97...

it's a nice sub, it's just looking like it's a bit picky...

mike....a 2k wrms sub would be kewl!! but u gotta lemme demo the proto!!!

btw..no thanks needed...ur product "spoke" for itself!!! as does ur customer courtesy!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

kent.... Geoff is a different case as well. I've met the kid once and checked out his dual SE 12" sealed install.

The aforementioned install had too much output in the higher sub-bass range for his liking. His accord 2 door also is lacking seriously in transfer function.

You know that I'm not trying to take anything away from this thread in ANY WAY. Just giving some background on his situation. I haven't caught up with him since he got his eX.

-and-

I'm not gonna get into my personal review of a 12" model :P

-Nick

well since i am running some drivers similar to the RL-p's, I have a good idea to what the SoundSplinter can do

ok folks..today i did some ported testing...

box...re recommended 2.5ft^3, 36in^2 of port, tuned to 30hz...

power...memphis 1500d @ 4ohm, rated 750wrms

the vehicle/placement....2004 silverado x-cab. sitting on top of back seat facing forward.

the results...

again today i listened to country, rap and rock.

and ummmmm.........

i might as well do this together...

at 750 wrms, these subs are really close in this box. both get low, but not real loud. both move quite a bit and sound really nice at low to mid volumes. both produce a hollow noise at upper volumes...almost like they were both bottoming out. but i don't think they are...

what got me was there was no clear difference in output between the two. the xxx appeared teh louder of the two sealed, yet didn't seem to gain anything in this box. the rl-p wasn't far behind sealed, but is dead even ported. in reality, neither one was impressive with their output. i was kinda disappointed, but tuning and vehicle probably have more to do with this then anything.

sq wise, IMO, the rl-p is still the better sounding of the two. double kicks are crisper and the transistions were seamless. both subs exhibit very little overhang and keep up with the music effortlessly. the xxx does keep up in the rumble catagory this time! both subs could reach the lowlows, there was no distinct difference as in the sealed box.

again, both subs seemed to handle the power fine, but i'm not for sure what was causing the hollow sound. it could just be that the subs are reproducing the kick sound in the kick drum more accurately then i'm used too..lol...

again, i think the output of both subs kinda got me. they just seemed to be boring. nothing impressive, just there. i mean both were loud, but sealed box loud..again, i guess tuning had alot to do with that.

i don't think either sub really like this box. it just made both subs fall flat at the top. i don't know, but the two tens that are normally in there off that same power crush both of these subs output wise in this box. maybe it's the vehicle's transeit response, the tens are tuned to 38hz. either way...i think i'm building a different box..lol...and doing this again.

if i were to choose..i'd flip a coin. for while i think the rl-p is crisper, the xxx sounds just as good. but both subs disappointed in the output part.

tomorrow, i run new wire and install the orion...1200wrms is coming.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

changed the box by adding a slug of material...it's now 1.9ft^3 tuned to 34 hz....

and.....

ok..ok..

the orion is in...pics later..

ran both subs at 1200wrms before the wife took control of her rl-p and demanded it be put back in her car...

here is what i have learned..

the noises at higher volumes...was the memphis amp. with the orion, neither sub made anything but pure bass. the memphis was a loaner and the actual owner beats the hell outa everything (he's blown two eclipse ti's..the second time around, the sub actually broke in two..yep, the magnet fell off)

ok..onto the comparo

where do i start? with the smaller, tuned higher box, both subs just sing. loud and low...it's almost a dead heat..except..

to me the rl-p is cleaner. each note is crisper, regardless of volume. it just stays clean, low and loud.

the xxx is the louder of the two. it tends to blend notes together, but makes up for it with good lows and great output.

one of my favorite tracks to play is Europe's "It's the final countdown"..the intro is kewl as hell...both subs shook the hell outa the truck...same with outkast's speakerboxx album intro..gets low and has some serious kickdrum type bass. both subs just knocked the hell outa me..lol...

in the end only a couple of things seperate these subs.

space. the rl-p is definitely the sub to get if space is at a premium. it can reproduce lows in sealed enviroments that the xxx just can't reach. space isn't a problem? get the xxx.

power. under 1000wrms, the rl-p is the better sub. over 1000wrms, i'd suggest the xxx. not that the rl-p had any trouble with 1200wrms, but it would have preferred it in a sealed box, or even smaller ported one. the xxx took a licking and kept on tickin..i'm going to throw the 2500wrms at it tomorrow.

budget. the rl-p is definitely the better bang for the buck. all the sq of the xxx and most of it's output. plus, it works great with less power and smaller enclosures...so all around it cna save u money.

overall, here are my final impressions...

xxx:

if money, space and power isn't a problem. this is a great subwoofer. it has the sq of the rl-p with the output of a spl sub. it can take gobs of power and sounds good doing it. it does want large sealed boxes and ported ones to get real low, but in the right box, with the right power, it does indeed get low and loud. it is a lil more picky concerning enclosures and it does like power. but it does indeed do a fine job with half it's rms..it just needs a larger box to do what it can do.

rl-p:

if space, power and money is at a premium, definitely this is the sub to buy. it does great in a variety of enclosures from small sealed to medium ported. gets low in all of them..real low. gets loud too, not quite the spl machine the xxx is, but it can hold it's own with the right box. it can take more then rated power wise, but i don't think it can compete overall with the xxx in that catagory. this its the better sounding of the two,IMO. the bass was crisper throughout the volume knob. it's a great sub at a great price.

if a person properly addresses what he's going to do and what he is after, u can't go wrong with either of these subs. but if a person buys one thinking it'll do everything, he's in for a big disappointment. these two subs are extremely close in performance and sound. but they each have their likes and dislikes. i believe i have two winners on my hands here, if put in the proper application.

i hope this was as informational for u as it was fun for me (except for wiring my truck and listening to my wife female dog about tradeing her camera). while i didn't find an end all for subs, neither sub fits that bill, what i have are two great sounding subs which are great all around performers if given what they want. sql at it's finest!!

i can't wait to hear a magnum, a brahma and an ascedent sub. see how they stack up against these two!

remember, no one sub is the king of the hill, because all hills are different........

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

very nice right up Kent.

A few surprises, twists & turns.... just like real life.

:slayer:

I can't wait to read what you think of the pair @ 2kw.

-Nick

very nice right up Kent.

A few surprises, twists & turns.... just like real life.

:slayer:

I can't wait to read what you think of the pair @ 2kw.

-Nick

the rl-p won't see 2kw...one, my wife took it back..and two, i don't quite think it would take it well. a lil smaller box or a sealed box, i would say no problem. but in 2ft^3, i think 2kw would bottom it out. it's too nice of a sub to damage it.

the xxx will see 2.5kw..lol.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave! Square Wave!

Pleeeeeease?

=)

very nice kent, great read

thanks aaron..it was very fun comparing the two!! i'v elike it!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

the xxx will see 2.5kw..lol.....

Well? :finger::worthless:

i had to file my taxes today...

ok,ok..i got lazy...i will do it tomorrow or wednesday..but i will do it!!

i really did file my taxzes today though. :lame::worthless:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Still haven't gotten your hands on a Magnum? Gosh, I may have to pull it back out of my car and ship it to you, for funs sake. It was for sale, buyer backed out, and I put it back in my car LOL.

Still haven't gotten your hands on a Magnum? Gosh, I may have to pull it back out of my car and ship it to you, for funs sake. It was for sale, buyer backed out, and I put it back in my car LOL.

nope, still haven't gotten to play with a magnum...lol..

i would love to be able to play it side by side the xxx and the rl-p..i'd also love to throw a brahma in there as well..

but don't worry about going thru all the trouble of yanking urs back out lol...unless u really want to...hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

put 2500wrms on the xxx today..

it don't like it!! not in 1.9ft^3 tuned to 34hz...don't get me wrong, it can handle it at lower volumes, but crank the knob..lol...and bam,bam instead of boom,boom..

still, it's a pretty decent sub...but it does have it's limits.

also, i put the xxx in 1.3ft^3 sealed prefab today as well off 1200wrms..it doesn't play lower. it does get louder. i'd imagine it needs at least 1.75ft^3 sealed to really get low..or ported, where it does indeed do a fine job!

and with that....the review/comparo is done..lol....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

It takes me about 5 minutes to take out, it would actually give me some motivation to do some more work on my install, because I just threw everything back in again to get my car out of our shop. I am not doing it any justice running it off the rear channels of the MRV-F540 anyways, even though it gets surprisingly loud! I think we owe it to the companies :) Hate to see people go," yeah I wish the magnum was included." Hell, why not include mine?

I personally feel it could hang, and want to see it compared. If you're game I'm game. Email me at jb_240 @ hotmail.com.. or msn with that too, Jordan94z AIM if you want to get your hands on my claw mag to play with. I trust you... I think :P

Jordan