mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Film? Play the game, its far better

2011_mercedes_benz_eclass_cabriolet.jpg

She looks sexy with her top off

:tehe:

The last time I checked, the U.S. led the world in productivity per employee. That's the good news. The bad news is that much, if not all, of that boost in productivity has come on the backs of workers, especially salaried types viewed by too many management teams as infinitely elastic resources. As one management consultant told me: "The average company takes better care of its copiers than it does its talent."

Many chief executives use the tough competitive environment as a handy excuse to put off salary increases, tighten the screws on performance, and generally drop any pretense of creating a human-centered workplace. But the tough-economy picture has two sides. Only those companies that make the effort to keep their employees productive by treating them decently can expect to see continued productivity gains. Much of the workforce has tuned out, waiting for a more welcoming job market to make career moves. Those organizations that haven't wavered on their commitments to flexibility, recognition of talent, and transparent leadership will keep A-list players on board as the job market improves. Their competitors may be wishing they'd paid a little more attention to employee TLC as employees start peeling off for greener pastures.

Here are five of the most insulting leadership practices, the ones that virtually guarantee a business will end up with the most self-esteem challenged, optionless team members when the dust settles.

1. If you desire a mediocre workforce, make sure your employees know you don't trust them.

Nothing spells "You're dirt to us" like a corporate culture that screams, "We don't trust you as far as we can throw you." I refer to company policies that require employees to clock in and out for lunch or software that tracks every keystroke and change of URL in case a molecule of nonwork-related activity squeaks into the workday. When employees know they're not trusted, they become experts at "presenteeism"—the physical appearance of working, without anything getting done. Congratulations! Your inability to trust the very people you've selected to join your team has cost you their energy, goodwill, and great ideas.

2. If you want to drive talented people away, don't tell them when they shine.

Fear of a high-self-esteem employee is prevalent among average-grade corporate leadership teams. Look how hard it is for so many managers to say, "Hey Bob, you did a great job today." Maybe it's a fear that the bit of praise will be met with a request for a pay raise. Maybe it's the fear that acknowledging performance will somehow make the manager look weak. Whatever the reason for silence, leaders who can't say, "Thanks—good going!" can plan on bidding farewell to their most able team members in short order.

3. If you prefer a team of C-list players, keep employees in the dark.

Sharp knowledge workers want to know what's going on in their organizations, beyond their departmental silos. They want some visibility into the company's plans and their own career mobility. Leaders who can't stand to shine a light on their firms' goals, strategies, and systems are all but guaranteed to spend a lot of money running ads on Monster.com. Marketable top performers want a seat at the table and won't stand for being left in the dark without the information they need to do their jobs well.

4. If you value docility over ingenuity, shout it from the rooftops.

I heard from a new MBA who had joined a global manufacturer. "They told me during my first week that I need a manager's signature to organize a meeting," he recalled. "They said I'm too low-level to call a meeting on my own, because unauthorized meetings of nonmanagers are against company policy." How fearful of its employees would a leadership team have to be to forbid people to gather together to solve problems? The most desirable value creators won't stick around to be treated like children. They'll hop a bus to the first employer who tells them, "We're hiring you for your talent—now go do something brilliant."

5. If you fear an empowered workforce more than you fear the competition, squash any sign of individualism.

When you go to college, you learn about Economic Man, but in the corporate workplace we see that real people don't always act rationally. Lots of individual managers and plenty of leadership teams fear nothing more than the idea that a self-directed employee might buck authority. That's equivalent to shaking the organizational power structure to its foundation, possibly a fate worse than death. Leaders who want the most docile, sheep-like employees more than the smartest and ablest ones create systems to keep the C players on board and drive the A team out the door. They do it by instituting reams of pointless rules, upbraiding people for miniscule infractions ("What? Twenty minutes late? Sure you worked here until midnight last night, but starting time is starting time.") and generally replacing trust with fear throughout their organizations. Companies that operate in fear mode will never deliver great products and services to the marketplace. Their efforts will be hamstrung by their talent-repelling management practices.

How long will it take these enterprises to figure out they're shooting themselves in the foot? It doesn't matter—you'll be long gone by then.

Up to this point I have caught 3 squirrels and took them for a swim. I wonder how many more are around??

You like my "humane" method :P

It works well if they get in the trap. The first one in the basement was scared, so I had to take head shots when he poked his head out from under some skids.

Your up early Neal, I've yet to go to bed :peepwall:

I enjoy paintballing, I'd take care of your rodent problem for ya ;)

Up to this point I have caught 3 squirrels and took them for a swim. I wonder how many more are around??

For what ever reason the man holds me down won't let me fire off the 7mm mag on the squirelles. I think that instant liquification would be the most humane.

Agreed. I would support a law to keep child molesters, PROVEN child molesters behind bars for a long, LONG, time. As it stands now though, in some states a 19 year old can be charged with rape for having sex with an 18 year old. Not to mention numerous cases of women crying rape when it was later proven it either didn't happen, or she admitted it was consensual.

This law makes my blood boil so much. It's just some of the worste horrible BS law ever written. It targets men, and certain races just as much as the imigration law in AZ, and they condemn that.... but under the "think about the children" flag they pass this steaming pile of political dung.

I would rather see torture be allowed on repeate offenders. That at least might be a deturant. This opens the gate for the feds to get their fat fingers in any crime they feel they want to.

Tiffy.jpg

MY Hips...and LOOK! It was taken in Ihop! :-p

SOOOOOOOOOO many comments, and all SOOOOOOOOOOO wrong.

;)

J

Say what you're thinkin and you could end up in jail for life mister.

:D

She's 20 though, in 7 days :)

Older women rule. I need another one

Hopefully you don't have to teach them everything then.

That's one of the many reasons an experienced women is more fun, you don't have to teach them anything!

While I USUALLY agree with you.............I see this as a HUGE stretch. First off if your talking military on military race dont mean shit. Rank does. If your talking a muslim in America its different than a muslim detainee in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan etc. Situation dictates response.

J

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I did mean in the US. I only used the term Muslim, as prejudice against the group here in the US is a pet project for so many political leaders. The similarities I draw there is because hate criminals and sexual criminals have roughly the same likelyhood of commiting crime again. Saying that they can hold a sex crime offender because he is crazy for his actions and can't get better is more similar than I'm comfortable with. If some religeous party member, Neo Nazi or any other screw ball does anything wrong then it's just a short jump to say they can be held for ever and ever.

I was saying an american muslim in a bar whacks a military guy in a bar for some flip comments or what ever. Neither of them should fear prison for life. Same as some dude who met a girl at a 21+ party, he asked her age then has an orgy with her and 3 friends. 3 weeks later he's arrested for nailing a few 17 and 11 month year olds. Since it's 3 counts he's already in jail for good but now he has no hope of getting out?

B.S.

As I said, if you're a confirmed baby raper, sure, chinease hook torture, public hangings... what ever. Make use and create a reason for those sicko's to not do it ever much less again. That's completely different than saying they couldn't help it because they are crazy and we should keep them alive for as long as possible in the public system. We don't really have the room of money to keep them as mental patients much less criminals.

Experience top!

I agree beats

For what ever reason the man holds me down won't let me fire off the 7mm mag on the squirelles. I think that instant liquification would be the most humane.

You did notice the quotes, no?

2011_mercedes_benz_eclass_cabriolet.jpg

She looks sexy with her top off

:tehe:

Actually I think she looks like a Solara. :(

How the leaders have fallen, copying the Japanese will get you nowhere.

5 am almost every day.

5 am almost every day.

Naturally? Or 5 am for work?

5 am almost every day.

Naturally? Or 5 am for work?

Naturally. Even when I was working 1pm to 1am, the eyes opened at 5am. I think it comes from working night for so long.

That might start happening to me, my sleep cycle is so messed up I don't know what's going on.

Cut off their wanker if they do it twice. Not sure what the equivalent would be for women, but whatever the point holds.

That might start happening to me, my sleep cycle is so messed up I don't know what's going on.

Yep, been there for many years.

You did notice the quotes, no?

Oh, fah sho!

That's one of the many reasons an experienced women is more fun, you don't have to teach them anything!

+1.gif

Cut off their wanker if they do it twice. Not sure what the equivalent would be for women, but whatever the point holds.

The actual sicko's would grab a broom stick instead.

But I think it would still be a good idea. Definately a good way to scare straight the drunk idiots.