mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

The gf and I went to Logan's Roadhouse for supper last night, and I think they have amazing ribs. You can't even cut apart the ribs because the meat just falls completely off of the bone and you end up having to just eat it with a fork. Their menu says they slow roast them for 8 hours. How can I do that? I usually smoke my ribs, but they don't turn out as tender and fall-off-the-bone as that. Would smoking them enclosed in an aluminum pan work? Or do I just need to put them in the oven covered with aluminum foil?

Definitely, who the fuck steals a PT Cruiser?

No kidding.

Shopping cart would be an upgrade.

Roomate Sean hates PT cruisers with passion. It's actually weird how much he hates them considering he doesn't have his liscence yet.

Convertible PT Cruisers are HORRIBLE !

They really look like a hooptied shopping cart...

I think they look like bath tubs.

The gf and I went to Logan's Roadhouse for supper last night, and I think they have amazing ribs. You can't even cut apart the ribs because the meat just falls completely off of the bone and you end up having to just eat it with a fork. Their menu says they slow roast them for 8 hours. How can I do that? I usually smoke my ribs, but they don't turn out as tender and fall-off-the-bone as that. Would smoking them enclosed in an aluminum pan work? Or do I just need to put them in the oven covered with aluminum foil?

Smoking WILL do that, just has to be the right temperature and right time. Amusingly, I smoked a couple racks for dinner tonight. I pulled mine off before they got that sloppy as I like to have to pull them off the bone with my teeth, half the fun of ribs. They should pull easily though ;)

Try 225 for 4 hours. Longer is okay, but then lower the temperature.

Next time, drive to LC's in KC. Long drive to eat in a little shithole, but worth it. Arthur Bryant's is fancier but they don't hold shit on LC's.

Honestly, oven cooked ribs can't hold a candle to actual smoked ribs.

Low and slow wins the race, I've been considering building a 55 gallon smoker, just need to find a non-chemical filled 55 gallon drum.

Something like This or something more simple like This, but sadly i don't currently have access to a tig welder, or welder at all.

Next time, drive to LC's in KC. Long drive to eat in a little shithole, but worth it. Arthur Bryant's is fancier but they don't hold shit on LC's.

My favorite BBQ place is undoubtedly Gates, Artur bryants plays second.

I love my KC BBQ.

Hmm, well 225 for 4 hours is how I do mine already. I must be messing something up. Should I be putting a can of water inside my Traeger to help keep them moist?

We were actually in Salina at Logans, as that was where we met my stepmom to give her back her Expedition she let us use while my gf's Equinox was getting a new windshield.

I've eaten at Gates in KC before. It was pretty good. And I think I bought a bottle of LC's bbq sauce once, but never eaten there.

I made some Fajita's tonight with some Flank steak, they were pretty good.. but it was lacking something.. not sure kinda winged the recipe

IMG_0021.jpg

But did make a killer cake, literally, killer.

Devils food cake, with vanilla icing in the middle with quadruple chocolate butter icing... mmm

IMG_0020.jpg

Reporting beyond the uncertainty is also jackwash

Exactly

Calculations for chem labs are fun :suicide-santa:

I say that but really this is simple shit

Measure a mass of sodium carbonate, record the weight and amount of moles

Fully dissolve in HCl

Boil all the water

Weigh the remaining NaCl, record the weight and amount of moles

Mass of Sodium Carbonate: 0.32 g

Molar Mass, Sodium Carbonate: 105.99 g/mol

0.0030 moles of Sodium Carbonate

Mass of NaCl: 0.31 g

Molar Mass, NaCl: 58.44 g/mol

0.0053 moles of NaCl

Like I said, I was having a major brain fart moment...its so simple now I feel embarrassed for bringing it up :suicide-santa:

That's why i never took chem in school, wayyy too much math. But i've been told it gets easier after time.

Considering I was able to convert almost 97% of the carbonate to salt I feel rather good about the results

That's why i never took chem in school, wayyy too much math. But i've been told it gets easier after time.

I took a chemistry class in high school that is identical in scope to this and struggled to make a C

My lowest grade in this course is an 88, and that was on a homework assignment; my overall average for the class is somewhere around 97-99

Its really not that hard, conceptually or mathematically; I think the biggest difference is maturity level/giveashit level :shrug:

my dad smokes ribs low and slow for a couple of hours, then finishes them in the oven, they are always like candy and fall off the bone! delicious!

went off shore with my buddy on saturday caught a good haul of snapper.

So tonight i grilled some on the grill in foil, with a little tony's, butter and lemon.

I must say it was damn good for pretty much my first time! :woot:

Restaurants regularly boil their ribs first to make them fall off. Complete way to ruin ribs IMO.

Here they if they say slow roasting it means that they are doing it with gas. 8 hours would allow you to use a very low oven temperature, perhaps even below 200F. Personally, on a rack of ribs, I like the texture from ones done warmer. I normally Q mine at 225F which makes them take around 4 hours. I put them in cold. The BBQ is the only place I start with non-room temperature proteins. When cooking slow it is okay and when using smoke it will absorb it better while the meat is still cold.

Hmm, well 225 for 4 hours is how I do mine already. I must be messing something up. Should I be putting a can of water inside my Traeger to help keep them moist?

The temperature on the Traeger could very well be hottest near the temperature gauge. My temp is at the grates where the meat is. I suspect yours is off for that reason. If it were ceramic or held the heat better than steel it may be different. On top of that, I bet the temp gauge is a piece of uncalibrated crap. Sure was on my barrel smoker. Might very well be your trouble. And yes, I am sure that mine is right, well at least within 2 degrees which I'll call right. 15-20 I would not.

Do they gasket mod the Traegers? If so, I'd do it. The more you make it convection the more even it will be. Otherwise you'll always be chasing hot/cold spots in it.

Your other option to make it fool proof is to smoke them as you do. After you pull them off, wrap in tinfoil, and pour some braising liquid into the tinfoil. Bake at 250 for a couple more hours. If you are in a rush you could do this portion hotter, but extra heat is never really your friend. 325 for one ought to finish anything. I say ought as I'll always pick slow. The bark experience isn't the same, but the lip smacking is at least as good.

tumblr_la97k1IkxT1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

:ohsnap:

:lol2:

Edited by Bobobass