mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

My parents are down in Corpus Christi right now sending me photos, not polite.

Ok, just checked the weather for there, even they couldn't escape it. Makes me feel a little better.... :P

WTF is the SSA website trying to download to my computer this morning? I keep getting the blocked download messege. :ughdunno:

Well, they have closed everything down here and declared a snow emergency so any non-emergency vehicles on the road can be ticketed. Such bullshit, but I'm still sick, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Sounds like fun.

Pictures of said snow madness?

J

It's nothing really. Nothing compared to the 3.5' in one day we got last month. You wouldn't really be able to tell anything anyways as everything is just white.

Seems like I'm going to drop off my extra rims to get powder coated. Thinking about flat black (black car). How durable is powder coating ?

I'm thinking that if the rims chip it will look like crap having black paint and white marks from chipping.

It's far more durable than paint, well, in a traditional paint. There are very hard paints that are heat-cured like powder coating and they are also electrostatic applied. You typically see these on OEM wheels. If you are going to have them coated, they will strip them down to bare metal first. You can only powder coat over powder and it has to be done right after the first coat, so you would have bare metal-powder-cure-cool-powder-cure. I don't know how much abuse your wheels will see, but I've had great success with normal spray paint (enamel) on wheels. IT's cheap and easy to touch-up if anything happens. Hell, scuff your wheels now, go grab several cans of paint, paint the wheels and see how it lasts. IT may cost you $30 and some time, but you may find it a cheap alternative to powder coating which could easily run $100+ per wheel. IT also give you the ability to easily touch up whenever you need.

They won't see too much abuse since they will be the street wheels. Maybe some dirt roads but that's it. And touching curbs with my tires is unlikey :)

I looked at a neighbors freshly refurbed wheels (sandblasted then powdercoated) and they turned out ok. Powdercoating was $5 / wheel, sandblasting was $30 for all 4. Not an outstanding job but way better than how mine look now, they are in horrible shape.

For how much the powdercoating costs I don't think it's worth spending my time painting them. Otherwise I'd paint for sure and touch up when needed.

WOW! At that price, it's a no-brainer.

Yep, HOLY SHEEEE-ITE

We'll see how it turns out. I just got the wheels back from sandblasting, everything good so far.

Color ideas ? Supposedly I have 160 color options :D

Seems like I'm going to drop off my extra rims to get powder coated. Thinking about flat black (black car). How durable is powder coating ?

I'm thinking that if the rims chip it will look like crap having black paint and white marks from chipping.

It's far more durable than paint, well, in a traditional paint. There are very hard paints that are heat-cured like powder coating and they are also electrostatic applied. You typically see these on OEM wheels. If you are going to have them coated, they will strip them down to bare metal first. You can only powder coat over powder and it has to be done right after the first coat, so you would have bare metal-powder-cure-cool-powder-cure. I don't know how much abuse your wheels will see, but I've had great success with normal spray paint (enamel) on wheels. IT's cheap and easy to touch-up if anything happens. Hell, scuff your wheels now, go grab several cans of paint, paint the wheels and see how it lasts. IT may cost you $30 and some time, but you may find it a cheap alternative to powder coating which could easily run $100+ per wheel. IT also give you the ability to easily touch up whenever you need.

They won't see too much abuse since they will be the street wheels. Maybe some dirt roads but that's it. And touching curbs with my tires is unlikey :)

I looked at a neighbors freshly refurbed wheels (sandblasted then powdercoated) and they turned out ok. Powdercoating was $5 / wheel, sandblasting was $30 for all 4. Not an outstanding job but way better than how mine look now, they are in horrible shape.

For how much the powdercoating costs I don't think it's worth spending my time painting them. Otherwise I'd paint for sure and touch up when needed.

Yep, HOLY SHEEEE-ITE

We'll see how it turns out. I just got the wheels back from sandblasting, everything good so far.

What color is your car?

Pix or gtfo :D

It's a black xj, you've seen one, you've seen them all :P

IMG_7018.jpg

Yep, HOLY SHEEEE-ITE

Neon pink

white spokes with yellow centers?

purple with black plka dots?

Can you tell today has been a long ass day?

J

IMG_7018.jpg

What size tyres? axle gearing? Manual or auto transmission? Alot of ppl would give their left nutt for a turbo diesel here in the states.

I'm a fan of matte black personally. looks good IMO

IMG_7018.jpg

What size tyres? axle gearing? Manual or auto transmission? Alot of ppl would give their left nutt for a turbo diesel here in the states.

Is this going to help your color selection?

Just so you guys know, Chocolate Milk = super easy, super cheap, after workout drink

IMG_7018.jpg

Is this going to help your color selection?

Naw, but thats what your here for.

Waiting to board.. 2 hours till I leave -.-

We have two for matte black, one e-cookie for Tom and Julian :D

Settled ... lol. Should be done by next week.

Jared, here are some more details:

Chrysler installed diesel (VM produced), 2.5L, 115hp, about the same torque as the 4.0, AX15 gearbox (manual, lower first and higher 5th compared to the one behind the 4.0), 3.73 gears.

Rolling on 29's :lol:

I posted on DieselBombers and everybody wanted engine bay pics and details.

If it has a rather deep dish you could do some accenting with some gloss black with the spokes matte black or vice versa

IMG_7018.jpg

Hope everyone takes a peak at the rear drivers side glass. ;)

My head was full of shit today. No wonder I have a headache.

If it has a rather deep dish you could do some accenting with some gloss black with the spokes matte black or vice versa

It has to be one solid color since it's powdercoated

I could probably try and flatten the glossy areas. Too much work though.