mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Someone talk me out of buying a prefab sealed box for my SA-12's just to have SOMETHING below 35hz. I can't take staring at the boxes and then going outside and having to play decaf songs with the sub at -7db.... :suicide-santa:

Don't :doit:

<-----Is in mad need of more bass

I'm about ready to free air em....I bet they'd still play lower than these old ass pioneers

Free air will yield nothing pleasant, cancellation will occur and leave you with virtually no output to speak of.

Which sounds to me with the power up front and the tires out back = Transmission Boom!

Pretty sure it will handle it.

If it was a Chrysler, I would disagree.

Silvy trannies aren't known for lasting, but I wouldn't bother with that swap

Someone talk me out of buying a prefab sealed box for my SA-12's just to have SOMETHING below 35hz. I can't take staring at the boxes and then going outside and having to play decaf songs with the sub at -7db.... :suicide-santa:

What are these songs you are referring to?

Decaf is the screen name of a guy who mixes music just for us bassheads, I have all his stuff :)

Tunes top!

I don't believe he's on SSA though, Neal.

Decaf is the screen name of a guy who mixes music just for us bassheads, I have all his stuff :)

t

when a friend wants to hear something with bass in my car i play this just to fuck with them.. usually they are like "wtf, harry potter?" and then the car begins to shutter... surprising what an mj18 and 150 watts can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-RpVCSsjpU

Does it sound good? How can I listen to this music?

IIRC, that is the 4l60E which is essentially a 700R4, so they are oretty tough unless GM did something fucked up like putting a smaller input shaft in the units for the smaller displacement engines, but I doubt it. They've always made pretty stout transmissions. If I had to pick a weak point, it would be the programming.

Every silvy you see for sale up here with more than120k has a new transmission or rebuily. No idea what they did but I bet they saved a buck where thye shouldn't have

Every silvy you see for sale up here with more than120k has a new transmission or rebuily. No idea what they did but I bet they saved a buck where thye shouldn't have

I bet you 8 or 9 times out of 10 they didn't replace the fluid. 4L60's usually fail every 110-120k miles if not properly maintained.

I bet you 8 or 9 times out of 10 they didn't replace the fluid. 4L60's usually fail every 110-120k miles if not properly maintained.

The Suburban's went out at 110 due to not being maintained and when we traded it in with 230 on the clock the transmission was on its death bed (again, no maintenance). The Silverado (which had a fluid swap and filter change by the previous owner) was at 130 when we traded it in and ran like a champ.

sealed for life transmissions might exist, but the 4L60 sure ain't one of them. Also, fuck Dex-Cool.

Calling on you guitar experts.

My son wants new pick ups and told me he wants these http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0992115-000-LIST#FeaturedReview

Are these any good? Are there better ones he should look at?

Your help is greatly appericated.

Calling on you guitar experts.

My son wants new pick ups and told me he wants these http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0992115-000-LIST#FeaturedReview

Are these any good? Are there better ones he should look at?

Your help is greatly appericated.

Depends on what sort of sound he is after. I personally despise strats, but that doesn't mean anything.

What does he have now and why does he want to change them?

A Kevin pre-order? Isn't that like going to Vegas and doubling down on every hand?

A Kevin pre-order? Isn't that like going to Vegas and doubling down on every hand?

Precisely :trippy:

Even worse. It's equal to giving a man money knowing he will die today and telling him he can pay you back tomorrow.

sealed for life transmissions might exist, but the 4L60 sure ain't one of them. Also, fuck Dex-Cool.

The 4L/T80E seems to be pretty damn bulletproof. Abuse and neglect will kill anything though. I find it hard to believe that not changing the transmission fluid will kill a 4L60E though. I'm not sure on how many cars go to the junkyard with factory transmission fluid, but I bet its a lot. Now I will believe that they put a severe lack of tranny fluid cooling and that in turn will kill it, but just use, no way.

Was working on a Ford 8N tractor today and drained ~2qts of water out of the tranny fluid before oil came out.

IIRC, that is the 4l60E which is essentially a 700R4, so they are oretty tough unless GM did something fucked up like putting a smaller input shaft in the units for the smaller displacement engines, but I doubt it. They've always made pretty stout transmissions. If I had to pick a weak point, it would be the programming.

the 700R4 and 4L60E are almost identical mechanically. they're decent transmissions, but abuse by a healthy small block (gen 1, 2, or 3) will kill 'em. they've upgraded them over the years. there are now 4L65E and 4L70E variants. If you want practically bulletproof, go with a 4L80E. Or a 6L80E. that would be sweet in a truck with it's ridiculously short first gear (4.xx)

The 4L/T80E seems to be pretty damn bulletproof. Abuse and neglect will kill anything though. I find it hard to believe that not changing the transmission fluid will kill a 4L60E though. I'm not sure on how many cars go to the junkyard with factory transmission fluid, but I bet its a lot. Now I will believe that they put a severe lack of tranny fluid cooling and that in turn will kill it, but just use, no way.

I've pulled 14 turbo 350 trannies from various junk yards around here. Every one of them has had the factory assembly line plug in the bottom of the pan, so I know at least the pan's never been down. Granted, they could disconnect the cooler lines and pump old fluid out and install new, but I'm pretty sure if they had the aptitude to do that, they would have dropped the pan as well.

Speaking of transmissions, I wish they would do away with tranny flushes and crappy mechanics/businesses pushing them.