mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Any HVAC people here? Or know of HVAC people?

We're looking to replace our system and got an estimate from a local company. One option is for a standard A/C and 80% AFUE furnace, another for a dual stage A/C, 80% variable furnace. What are the pro's and con's of these different types? Also, they carry Amana and Lennox; the Amana seems to have a superior warranty, but a lower price. Do you get better quality by ponying up the cash for a Lennox?

What is it? :P

It's a Junction box (well technically that's a back panel) for part of a Steam Generator....

I work for a supplier for General Electric, Altair and a few other companies, My job is an assembler. I take GE engineers drawings and make them a reality (or technically any customer's engineers).

I'm not entirely at liberty to disclose everything due to copyrights, trade secrets etc...

But I thought you guys would enjoy what my passion for car audio has me doing now, wiring and building...

I also have the luxury of having a full wood shop in house as well, and a master carpenter who has been teaching me tricks when I have the time to learn.

For example, today I crated (built the crates as well): And shipped 80 hoists and parts kits that go with wind generator towers to Shanghai China.

Ferraris ARE red IMO.

I fixed it for you.

What is it? :P

It's a Junction box (well technically that's a back panel) for part of a Steam Generator....

I work for a supplier for General Electric, Altair and a few other companies, My job is an assembler. I take GE engineers drawings and make them a reality (or technically any customer's engineers).

I'm not entirely at liberty to disclose everything due to copyrights, trade secrets etc...

But I thought you guys would enjoy what my passion for car audio has me doing now, wiring and building...

I also have the luxury of having a full wood shop in house as well, and a master carpenter who has been teaching me tricks when I have the time to learn.

For example, today I crated (built the crates as well): And shipped 80 hoists and parts kits that go with wind generator towers to Shanghai China.

I used to build units for power generation and distribution and custom control cabinets for anything you could imagine. The last three years I worked there, 80% of our business was with GE.

Any HVAC people here? Or know of HVAC people?

We're looking to replace our system and got an estimate from a local company. One option is for a standard A/C and 80% AFUE furnace, another for a dual stage A/C, 80% variable furnace. What are the pro's and con's of these different types? Also, they carry Amana and Lennox; the Amana seems to have a superior warranty, but a lower price. Do you get better quality by ponying up the cash for a Lennox?

Warranties are not apples to apples. Lennox sucks ass, IMO, but I don't deal with any of their residential shit, just commercial, and it sucks.

78% is minimum efficiency, so 80 is no big deal, and the higher ones aren't worth the money. You'll never make it back. I don't see the need for two stages of cooling in a house, but I don't live in Texas either. If one stage isn't enough to cool or remove humidity, you need to improve dramatically on your insulation. What do they mean by "variable furnace?"

78% is minimum efficiency, so 80 is no big deal, and the higher ones aren't worth the money. You'll never make it back. I don't see the need for two stages of cooling in a house, but I don't live in Texas either. If one stage isn't enough to cool or remove humidity, you need to improve dramatically on your insulation. What do they mean by "variable furnace?"

I have no clue what two stage cooling is, to be honest. Does it mean a compressor with two stages of output? Variable Furnace means Variable Speed Furnace. The 80% Variable Speed Furnace + 2 stage A/C system has a higher SEER rating but we won't recoup the extra expense in the long run so I was thinking it would be a no-brainer and go with the single stage A/C and non variable speed furnace. But I have been wrong before...

I have no clue what two stage cooling is, to be honest. Does it mean a compressor with two stages of output? Variable Furnace means Variable Speed Furnace. The 80% Variable Speed Furnace + 2 stage A/C system has a higher SEER rating but we won't recoup the extra expense in the long run so I was thinking it would be a no-brainer and go with the single stage A/C and non variable speed furnace. But I have been wrong before...

It mean's two stages, two compressors. #1 will run constantly and if it can't meet demand, the second stage comes online. As for the furnace, now that I know you meant variable SPEED. . . . Next time use all the words. LOL.

Anyways, it takes little power to run the fan and variable speed would be a waste and ineffective. The furnace will be burning the same amount of BTUs whether the fan is at full blast or not, so I see no point in a variable speed. If you were using multiple fans to supply multiple zones across a common coil or heater, this would be sensible, but not in a home with one trunkline and a branch system.

The house as an odd shape, basically an exaggerated C. Because of the large run from side to side we were thinking of either a single furnace/air conditioner with a zone damper system or a dual furnace/air conditioner system.

Crude Paint drawing:

10gix3p.jpg

So basically we were given a bid on:

A.) Single dual stage air conditioner with variable speed furnace and zoned damper

B.) Dual single stage air conditioners with standard furnaces

C.) Dual dual stage air conditioners with variable speed furnaces

A & B are roughly the same price; C is more expensive than either.

How is the furnace and ductwork currently laid out?

furnace and evap. coil are in a closet in the far left of the house, also the only air return, with flex line octopussing out (no main trunk line) to the rest of the house.

Lmao thanks for starting my morning off right Penguin. That's a good laugh. Did you find that near where you live? Or internet picture? lol

Lmao thanks for starting my morning off right Penguin. That's a good laugh. Did you find that near where you live? Or internet picture? lol

It's some new marketing campaign up in NYC; Anti-Defamation League is going ape shit over it

7b176b10-29b1-4bd3-bf97-02c1f942994c.jpg

That is classic.

guidos-bros-douchebags-fratboys-not-sure-what-kind-of-brotherhood-youre-in.jpg

bwahahahaha Definitely tighter than he and his brother's backdoors. I hear lots of nasty, queer shit about those fellas who go greek. :greddy2:

That will be awesome Teo, good luck!

guidos-bros-douchebags-fratboys-not-sure-what-kind-of-brotherhood-youre-in.jpg

bwahahahaha Definitely tighter than he and his brother's backdoors. I hear lots of nasty, queer shit about those fellas who go greek. :greddy2:

I hate to stereotype, but they're always the ones being annoying in the library. I have a general dislike of frat guys.

dsc07323qj.jpg

Wish me luck fitting these in the doors.

You'll need it, god damn! Good luck

baucecar.gif

baucecar.gif

Bet he still shit his paints!

Going to start fiberglassing a spare tire well subwoofer enclosure on Monday. Wish I could skip to the end.