mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

A bit entry level but they get the job done and I didn't really have the time to invest into researching. Feels pretty good to just buy and ride.

:peepwall:

Duran you got a pm

A bit entry level but they get the job done and I didn't really have the time to invest into researching. Feels pretty good to just buy and ride.

Its only weight comparing that shoe/pedal to another. Of course you just lost your weight savings for having aluminum versus steel. :P

Its only weight comparing that shoe/pedal to another. Of course you just lost your weight savings for having aluminum versus steel. :P

Bare feet to save weight ;)

That is the style of pedal that came with my bike. Great for road riding, but I HATE walking in shoes that clip into them.

Yup it's pretty much official now, I have a 15% chance of keeping my job in 4-6 months.

I hope you're in that 15% if you want to be. It's happening here too.

Hopefully, I think my chances are a lot better than most people. It'll suck if they shut down my building, then I'm competing with 2,000 other employees most of which are more qualified than me.

Worse if the same car pulls in front of you and you are using straps. :suicide-santa:

I have no problems clipping in and out whenever.

Duran you got a pm

I'll email you tomorrow Neal :)

I always find it funny that the pedals you clip into are called clipless. :ohnoes9:

Duran you got a pm

Sounds good, I hope to have some good information for you.

Lost weight savings with aluminum?

That is the style of pedal that came with my bike. Great for road riding, but I HATE walking in shoes that clip into them.

I don't do much walking in the shoes that I ride in :P

Duran you got a pm

Sounds good, I hope to have some good information for you.

Oh me too, I need something reliable.

Damn Nebraska is fucking long!!! Be back tomorrow afternoon. Saw some pretty funny asS shit in Vegas, LA, and the long way back.

Lost weight savings with aluminum?

Your frame being aluminum is about 200g lighter than my steel frame. Buying the cheaper pedals and shoes cost you 200g. Just pointing out the fallacy of aluminum again. Complete hype pushed by an uninformed buying population. It is a terrible frame material and the benefit always cited is light and stiff. Of course there is only one part of your frame that you want stiff and that is the bottom bracket/power transfer area. A well designed steel frame can nearly compete here, but is compliant to allow you more comfort everywhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't recommending that you spend more on your shoes or pedals. You did just fine there.

Two types of shoes in my opinion. Flexible ones and carbon soles. Carbon are better for performance for sure, but at the cost of $$. Really flexible ones are not for serious riding, but comfort when not riding and have a place. The ones in between are generally just fine for everyone else.

Just read that new thread about SDS M5 and honestly I gave Don a chance partially on your recomendation. I was able to speak with Don personally and he walked me through the best bang for my buck that I was able to spend at that time. I will definitely be purchasing more products from him in the future per his suggestions. I'm not saying anything one way or the other about Second Skin but just giving my opinion.

I don't do much walking in the shoes that I ride in :P

If you use your bike for transportation at all you would. Yesterday for instance, I rode to my brothers house and picked up my truck. Then drove to Home Depot and went shopping, followed by a jaunt through the grocery store. The whole time in my cycling shoes as I didn't want to carry something else with me.

This summer I'll ride down town for dinner or to go to a market regularly. I see no reason for road shoes ever. If sole stiffness is a concern for power transfer then you just buy a real mountain shoe with a carbon sole as well. It does make it so you can't use the Look or Speedplay based pedals, but they aren't any better at power transfer than a whip style anyways.

Hell in college I only wore tow pairs of hoses. One was my birkenstocks, the other my Sidi's. Not counting when I was tending bar of course, which I would have done in my Mountain shoes if I had to ride to work but considering I lived above the bar that wasn't a problem.

For me, if I travel anywhere I'm bringing my backpack, so I can always throw sandals in there so no biggy for me. If I'm only doing 5-10 mi runs I'll probably just use my other bike which doesn't have clips.

As far as aluminum to steel we'll just agree to disagree :P I have big friends that ride aluminum bikes for a long time with no problems, adding extra design to a steel frame to make it sturdy at the crank will only make it even heavier than an aluminum frame (losing 2 pounds doesn't seem like much but that is losing 10% of the total bike weight) and I feel that carbon front forks and a carbon seat stem can make up for any stiffness in the aluminum while still being even lighter.

In any event, I still think carbon is the way for the future with everything. It's a terribly beautiful product.

Not saying that no one should ride steel, just seems to me like more of a personal preference and go figure my preference (read "possible bias") is toward aluminum. Better tires and wheels are still more important than frame selection

Why does Trek not make there entry level bike a steel frame? It seems logical considering weight isn't a huge factor to an entry level rider, it rides better, cost less, and I doubt an entry level rider would ever notice the flex at the crank slowing them down.