mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

It looks like water will be the best bet. We are looking into "designing" a six-stroke cycle engine for diesel engines. We wanted to add an additional injector and port to inject a liquid on the six stroke to absorb heat and expand to get a little bit of work out of the stroke. The additional port will be an exhaust for the liquid (now gaseous) that will go through a heat exchanger, condense back to liquid state to be re-injected later.

The whole point of this design is to reduce heat in order to increase compression or some other design point to increase efficiency as well as get a bit of work from the extra strokes for more efficiency.

From my research it looks like a water/glycol may be necessary to prevent oxidation of aluminum components in an engine. The glycol mixture will be kept to a minimum as it reduces water's effectiveness to dissipate heat. Not sure how small amounts of glycol would react being injected directly into an engine or if that would have some kind of consequences if the residual glycol was combusted in the chamber on the following power stroke

Sounds interesting but pointless to me. 2 more strokes with little to no work is a HUGE waste of energy and increased wear on components. You want to keep heat in the combustion chamber to increase efficiency and promote exhaust velocity. I'm not too knowledgeable on diesels but combustion works the same way and I would think detonation and pre-ignition would both be injector or fuel issues on a diesel. Pre-ignition would come from a leaky injector or a bad (early) timing cycle. Detonation would present itself due to not enough fuel, again, bad injector cycle. Increasing compression will also increase the heat possibly causing pre-ignition or detonation. The only way to prevent that would be by adding fuel. It happens during the compression and power cycles so I don't see how cooling the cylinder after the fact will do anything, hence the reason you see water/methanol injection systems being mixed with combustion air. IT's like plugging someone's ass right after they fart. Good luck though

No snow here thank God!

Random ?

How does Stetsom have an 'Official' board on here and on CACO?

J

Seeing that we are an Authorized dealer.....

True..........Thats why I asked how are both 'official'

trapped.png

I literally LOL'd...hard...

So I spent a little more time with the Giant Rincon that I found. I spent $3.50 on a tire tube and now I have a bike with 3 gears and a front brake. The rear gear shifter is fubared so the rear derailleur keeps it in the top gear (smallest sprocket) at all times. I also found out it is a 2007 model and while riding I found out the front shock actually does work.

I was looking on the internet and I can get a new set of shifters for about $28. I was highly considering getting them and having a nice cheap bike to ride around.

Cheap shifters don't shift.

Is it the derailleur or the actually shifter/brifter?

Its really the line between the shifter and the derailleur that is messed up, but the shifters were bashed up pretty good so i figured they were cheap enough to totally replace. I really need new lines too

Cable is super cheap. Start there.

7" of snow this morning :WTFBubble:

We only got an inch :( Only supposed to get 1 more too, not enough. Originally it was supposed to be 7-10. :( :( :(

I'd actually say that if you could do it in two strokes and maintain emissions you'd even be better off.

So I spent a little more time with the Giant Rincon that I found. I spent $3.50 on a tire tube and now I have a bike with 3 gears and a front brake. The rear gear shifter is fubared so the rear derailleur keeps it in the top gear (smallest sprocket) at all times. I also found out it is a 2007 model and while riding I found out the front shock actually does work.

I was looking on the internet and I can get a new set of shifters for about $28. I was highly considering getting them and having a nice cheap bike to ride around.

I must of missed it..... where did you score the bike?

I left my girlfriends apt one day and there was a 2007 Giant Rincon laying next to the dumpster with deflated and removed back wheel, crooked handle bars, locked up rear brakes and the shifters looked like they had been through it, but I picked it up anyway.

So far I've put it back together, bought a $3.50 tube, straightened the handlebars (they weren't bent but out of alignment per say) and now I have a bike with three working front gears. Considering replacing the shifters so I can fix the rear brakes and shifting.

Sweet!! Thats thinking with the right side of your brain!

It tryed all day and night but nothing really stuck. :woot:

Thought about peanut oil injection? I think Mr. Diesel's first engine was ran off peanut oil.

Still not sure the benefit of a 6 cycle engine though.

It looks like water will be the best bet. We are looking into "designing" a six-stroke cycle engine for diesel engines. We wanted to add an additional injector and port to inject a liquid on the six stroke to absorb heat and expand to get a little bit of work out of the stroke. The additional port will be an exhaust for the liquid (now gaseous) that will go through a heat exchanger, condense back to liquid state to be re-injected later.

The whole point of this design is to reduce heat in order to increase compression or some other design point to increase efficiency as well as get a bit of work from the extra strokes for more efficiency.

From my research it looks like a water/glycol may be necessary to prevent oxidation of aluminum components in an engine. The glycol mixture will be kept to a minimum as it reduces water's effectiveness to dissipate heat. Not sure how small amounts of glycol would react being injected directly into an engine or if that would have some kind of consequences if the residual glycol was combusted in the chamber on the following power stroke

Sounds interesting but pointless to me. 2 more strokes with little to no work is a HUGE waste of energy and increased wear on components. You want to keep heat in the combustion chamber to increase efficiency and promote exhaust velocity. I'm not too knowledgeable on diesels but combustion works the same way and I would think detonation and pre-ignition would both be injector or fuel issues on a diesel. Pre-ignition would come from a leaky injector or a bad (early) timing cycle. Detonation would present itself due to not enough fuel, again, bad injector cycle. Increasing compression will also increase the heat possibly causing pre-ignition or detonation. The only way to prevent that would be by adding fuel. It happens during the compression and power cycles so I don't see how cooling the cylinder after the fact will do anything, hence the reason you see water/methanol injection systems being mixed with combustion air. IT's like plugging someone's ass right after they fart. Good luck though

Well its all theory and assuming all the steps to prevent pre-detonation have been taken.

Increasing compression will also increase the heat possibly causing pre-ignition or detonation. The only way to prevent that would be by adding fuel.

or to remove heat from the combustion chamber prior to compression :) like with a six stroke design :) You could consider it the first two strokes if you wanted as it really doesn't matter if it comes before or after as it will always come before another compression stroke.

And yes, I think it wouldn't really work either. Who knows, it could work really well as a cruising operation point and when valves are able to be controlled with out a camshaft it may be a viable option.

I left my girlfriends apt one day and there was a 2007 Giant Rincon laying next to the dumpster with deflated and removed back wheel, crooked handle bars, locked up rear brakes and the shifters looked like they had been through it, but I picked it up anyway.

So far I've put it back together, bought a $3.50 tube, straightened the handlebars (they weren't bent but out of alignment per say) and now I have a bike with three working front gears. Considering replacing the shifters so I can fix the rear brakes and shifting.

Lefties do think with the right side of their brain :)

Lefties do think with the right side of their brain :)

:D

OHV Registration for the ATVs was online this year. I got a printed temp reg until they sent the skicker in the mail. Sweet!

I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride..........

OHV Registration for the ATVs was online this year. I got a printed temp reg until they sent the skicker in the mail. Sweet!

I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride..........

Up to 3" here and still snowing, I wanna ride too.....

Just bought 80' of Ceder lumber....

Remember that apprenticeship I applied for? Got a call Monday saying there was a problem with my academic transcript and to call back at xxx-xxx-xxxx. 2 days and 2 voicemails later I'm starting to get annoyed and sat down to bitch about it here in the 'Hop and the second I start typing I finally got a call back saying there was communication error in the HR department and that now everything is okay and that someone will be contacting me to schedule a date and time for my interview. Fucking spooky...

The one-off BMW M3 pickup truck/ute has taken the automotive world by storm. Spy photos of the sporty pickup conversion hit the Internet last week, and comment sections and forums were maelstroms of speculation soon after. As Autoblog learned yesterday straight from the horse's mouth, the M3 pickup is an April Fools joke by an automaker with enough money and free time to pull off such a prank.

We only got an inch :( Only supposed to get 1 more too, not enough. Originally it was supposed to be 7-10. :( :( :(

My father in WNY got 8" and my mom and hr East fgot a foot or so.

J

I don't want snow. We've had 60 degree weather here, things are going on the right track.

My thunderbutt is horrible. It lingers for 30 mins and smells a bit like pumpkin.

Wife says if we were home I'd be sleeping alone.

Ugh.

J

:peepwall:

Glad I'll still get to see her around!