mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

I didn't know if the oil would matter. I have really only tried with animal fat. Left over from steaks or sausage.

Julian, thanks. That was what I was thinkin.

Can you make a white gravey from it in the case of chicken fried steak?

What is wrong with bacon or sausage fat?

Peng you got any advice on the cream/whitegravey/sawmill type gravy?

roux, roux, roux your boat

My roux always ends up too thick and paste like. Probably too much flour.

~ 1/8c per cup of milk. Need a heavy tbsp of fat in the pan for the 1/8c of flour.

let me rephrase. I use bacon fat for nearly all searing. I have never fried ANYTHING with what I would consider success.

I use bacon fat now for almost any frying.

mmmm I had bacon today.

~ 1/8c per cup of milk. Need a heavy tbsp of fat in the pan for the 1/8c of flour.

Thanks! Thats what I was looking for!

I didn't know if the oil would matter. I have really only tried with animal fat. Left over from steaks or sausage.

Concurrent posting AND the solution. Personally I like sausage in my white gravy so I just fry up some bulk sausage and make the gravy with that. Can still put it on top of chix fried steak. I know it isn't right to the Southerners, but its better anyways.

wondra2.jpg

Mmmmm

Not necessary, just have to cook your roux. Not even necessary to use a low protein flour.

In this case you want the flour to be covered with fat before adding the liquid. If you have drippings and not fat then instead of wondra just add your liquid into a jar with AP flour and shake it up.

Concurrent posting AND the solution. Personally I like sausage in my white gravy so I just fry up some bulk sausage and make the gravy with that. Can still put it on top of chix fried steak. I know it isn't right to the Southerners, but its better anyways.

Most Southern refrigerators will have a jar of bacon drippings in 'em. Makes some gooooood gravy...

So 2 parts flour, 1 part fat? I've always used equal portions

So 2 parts flour, 1 part fat? I've always used equal portions

Depends on the application. Lots of liquid to thicken in a white gravy and normally you want it pretty thick. Just what I use when I use a pound of the bulk pork sausage from the co-op which nets me about 2 tbsp of fat and a bunch of fond. Flavor is in the browning much more so than the fat, important to get it to stick to the bottom of the pan. Also why I don't use the drippings/fat from the Chix fried steak itself.

In other words adjust for thickness. White gravy I make MUCH thicker than any other gravy. A brown gravy I'd use equal parts or perhaps even less depending on how runny I wanted it.

when I make fried chicken, I always make a (bacon dripping) roux thickened chicken stock gravy (flavored with whatever I seasoned the chicken with) for the mashed potatoes. YUMMY.

wondra2.jpg

Mmmmm

Not necessary, just have to cook your roux. Not even necessary to use a low protein flour.

In this case you want the flour to be covered with fat before adding the liquid. If you have drippings and not fat then instead of wondra just add your liquid into a jar with AP flour and shake it up.

No clue what wondra is.

I haven't used a roux untill about 3 years ago. this is all new to me, I really know almost nothing about "American home cooking".

I find myself wanting to piss away money on wants not needs.

J

So this is what I tried last time. I just need to work on getting the roux right. Did I understand you correctly when you mentioned One could mix the flour and milk and then add to the fat instead of putting the flour into the pan with the fat and letting it just barely brown?

No clue what wondra is.

I haven't used a roux untill about 3 years ago. this is all new to me, I really know almost nothing about "American home cooking".

Wondra flour is an ingredient sometimes called for in baking recipes, mostly in some pie crust and tart crust recipes that promise a flaky and tender crust. It is actually a brand name for a type of instant flour and, because the brand is so widespread, the name Wondra tends to be used in recipes.

Instant flour is low protein, finely ground flour that has been treated so that it will dissolve instantly in water and not require the same long cooking process as non-instant flour to dissolve in a liquid and thicken it. The process is called pregelatinization, and it involve heat a starch (flour) with very hot water and/or steam, then drying it out, so that it has essentially been cooked already. Because of this, instant flour also very unlikely to form lumps when mixed with a water or other solution. Wondra also has some malted barley flour mixed into it, which acts as a dough conditioner in many breads.

As Sean mentioned though, it isn't necessary (but I like to use it anyway)

You know all this talk of fried chicken and gravy is making me hungry for it! Damn you guys!

You know all this talk of fried chicken and gravy is making me hungry for it! Damn you guys!

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

when I make fried chicken, I always make a (bacon dripping) roux thickened chicken stock gravy (flavored with whatever I seasoned the chicken with) for the mashed potatoes. YUMMY.

I don't like mashed taters with fried chicken usually unless it's basically creamed potato.