mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Finger lickin' good, son!

We still talkin' bout chicken??

Son of a bitch. I think I cooked my iPod. Left it in the car out in the sun and when I went to use it I heard a pop and now nothing. Everything works, but no sound.

Hmm, connection maybe? my ipod has been able to take some serious heat lol, black truck black leather and 100 F louisiana heat, its still workin even though i left it on the dash a few times

Do you have an iPod video? They use HDD's so there's moving parts. They aren't as durable as the nanos or touches. I don't know if the heat killed it or what. It's been left in there on hotter days. Oh well, I needed to upgrade from the 30g anyways.

Finger lickin' good, son!

Bleh. Maybe Canes, but not KFC

Son of a bitch. I think I cooked my iPod. Left it in the car out in the sun and when I went to use it I heard a pop and now nothing. Everything works, but no sound.

Hmm, connection maybe? my ipod has been able to take some serious heat lol, black truck black leather and 100 F louisiana heat, its still workin even though i left it on the dash a few times

Do you have an iPod video? They use HDD's so there's moving parts. They aren't as durable as the nanos or touches. I don't know if the heat killed it or what. It's been left in there on hotter days. Oh well, I needed to upgrade from the 30g anyways.

I have the nano with video, guess it can take the abuse better, but my pos cell phone overheats 15 mins in my truck lmao

Okay so I used the minimum vent diameter formula from vance dickason's cookbook,

portarea.jpg

Tested for 15" xcon, Sd 810cm^2, xmax 31mm.

Multiplied Sd(810) by 0.0001 to convert from cm to meters.

Multiplied xmax(31) by by 0.001 to convert from mm to m.

Multiplied Sd by xmax to get Vd, 0.002511m^3

Then used 30hz for tuning and plugged in Vd, got minimum vent diameter of 17" or ~230in^2 port area for slot.

Anyone see any mistakes? That seems like a crazy amount of port area for a 15" driver, I guess because such a high xmax?

Or is this formula playing it safe by a huge margin?

I've been doing math all today and it's all starting to mush together, perhaps I missed a step / calculated wrong.

That squaring on the bottom is included in the parenthesis and to the 1/2 power, correct?

So we just had a parade to welcome home the little league team and there was estimated to be 20,000 people there. ESPN and WNEP were there covering it. If you should happen to see it on TV I was wearing my whit FI Audio shirt.

I believe you used the one for a bandpass enclosure, the vented enclosure is VntFrm2.gif

i get 10.8 inches hmmm somtin aint right

Edited by trod2902

I believe you used the one for a bandpass enclosure, the vented enclosure is VntFrm2.gif

That formula is a more conservative version of what I posted, I believe.

I read on that site (carstereo) that the author uses the one I posted for bandpass, and he halves the tuning beforehand, but it's still designed for a ported enclosure.

:ughdunno:

That formula is a more conservative version of what I posted, I believe.

Which is why it is claimed to be more usefull for vented, i guess 10.8 sounds right for round port

I got 10.8 from the formula you posted, which isn't more conservative compared to the ~17 i got from my equation, therefore I calculated something wrong in the first formula... hmm

I got 10.8 from the formula you posted, which isn't more conservative compared to the ~17 i got from my equation, therefore I calculated something wrong in the first formula... hmm

i did it myself and also got 17

What exactly does conservative mean in this case, conservative in term of saving space, or in terms of being sure there is no compression or port noise?

Edited by trod2902

What exactly does conservative mean in this case, conservative in term of saving space, or in terms of being sure there is no compression or port noise?

Conservative being, the formula calls for a larger vent area, having less of a chance to have port noise.

Conservative being, the formula calls for a larger vent area, having less of a chance to have port noise.

If your sure of that, then something is wrong

That's why I was hoping someone else would chime in. Like someone with a green title LOL, or Sean, where is Sean? Must be eating dinner or drinking that cheap stuff from a fuzzy bag?

Okay I used Small's formula, the second one, and it seems accurate.

So time to see what the hell I did wrong on vance dickason's.

Lol, you haven't found any error in my post, just another formula to use that I already had.

Smalls works, why am I getting such a large number from dickasons?

Okay so I used the minimum vent diameter formula from vance dickason's cookbook,

portarea.jpg

Tested for 15" xcon, Sd 810cm^2, xmax 31mm.

Multiplied Sd(810) by 0.0001 to convert from cm to meters.

Multiplied xmax(31) by by 0.001 to convert from mm to m.

Multiplied Sd by xmax to get Vd, 0.002511m^3

Then used 30hz for tuning and plugged in Vd, got minimum vent diameter of 17" or ~230in^2 port area for slot.

Anyone see any mistakes? That seems like a crazy amount of port area for a 15" driver, I guess because such a high xmax?

Or is this formula playing it safe by a huge margin?

I've been doing math all today and it's all starting to mush together, perhaps I missed a step / calculated wrong.

That squaring on the bottom is included in the parenthesis and to the 1/2 power, correct?

I'm pretty sure Vd = Xmax * 2 * Sd

but your math is correct: 17.0947 inches.

Glad to here I didn't miss anything there.

Everywhere I see the formulas posted I see Vd = Sd*xmax, Sd = Vd / xmax, and so forth.

But I did read in one thread where some did state multiplying by two to account for a full stroke. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Okay I found a table from loud speaker cookbook regarding some info on a 8" driver. I checked the numbers and it seems they calculated Vd by multiplying Sd & xmax.

hmm.jpg

Anyone catch that, "convert to scientific notation to decimal", fail on my part lol.

Everywhere I see the formulas posted I see Vd = Sd*xmax, Sd = Vd / xmax, and so forth.

But I did read in one thread where some did state multiplying by two to account for a full stroke. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Okay I found a table from loud speaker cookbook regarding some info on a 8" driver. I checked the numbers and it seems they calculated Vd by multiplying Sd & xmax.

hmm.jpg

Anyone catch that, "convert to scientific notation to decimal", fail on my part lol.

i dont see the significance, its all the same to a calculator

Like you just figured out, Vd is one way stroke, as there is only one cone side on the inside of the enclosure. Sd*Xmax

Video of the home coming lastnight.

I was unable to copy the video link, but here is the web page.

http://www.wnep.com/

hmm.jpg

i dont see the significance, its all the same to a calculator

I was proving that Vd = Sd*xmax, not Vd = Sd*xmax*2