mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Matt, you ever read anything about Vitamin A in regards to building muscle? I read an article earlier talking about most people being deficient, and that it's used for the production of testosterone, and growth factors--obviously among other things.

In the "post creatine baseball guy" world we saw a lot of buzz about that. Along with the focus on many individual nutrients. Argenine for example is all the rage right now. i would guess a really good multi vitamin and a good diet would really handle vitamin A needs.

It is probably the number one killer by way of malnutrition. it is super vital. It is also an easy one to OD on too.... It can be pretty toxic.

I would guess americans are a little low, but people who eat whole foods like you get waaaay more than enough I would think.

Honestly I think a zinc suplement or magnesium, or some of the less common vitamins would make a larger impact on test levels. One other point on this subject is I think we need waaaaaay more vitamin C than is recomended. Especially when we work out a lot.

Shit loads of vitamins can be really rough on us though.

I really honestly think that ifnit isnt food it has to be taken gently, and that there is no magic missing link.

It sucks how the FDA has baned anabolic compounds and things like ephedra. It is having the reverse effect of its intent and people, mainly kids, try all this shit. just crazy stpid stuff that really does no good.

What is crazier is insulin is nearly OTC super lethal and maybe the strongest hormone in bodybuilding.

That is our gubment thoug.

Yeah I remember reading about people use ephedra then it being pulled.

Concerning the toxicity:

according to the Merck Manual, vitamin A poisoning is rare. In adults, vitamin A toxicity has been reported in Arctic explorers who developed drowsiness, irritability, headaches and vomiting, with subsequent peeling of the skin, within a few hours of ingesting several million units of vitamin A from polar bear or seal liver. These symptoms cleared up with discontinuation of the vitamin A rich food. Other than this unusual example, however, only vitamin A from "megavitamin tablets containing vitamin A. . . when taken for a long time" has induced acute toxicity, that is, 100,000 IU synthetic vitamin A per day taken for many months. Unless you are an Arctic explorer, it is very difficult to develop vitamin A toxicity from food. The putative toxic dose of 100,000 IU per day would be contained in 3 tablespoons of high vitamin cod liver oil, 6 tablespoons of regular cod liver oil, two-and-one-half 100-gram servings of duck liver, 150 grams of beef liver, seven pounds of butter or 309 egg yolks.

So it would appear to be a good idea to get it from food, and not excessive supplemental means.

I still have to look, but I think milk has a fair amount, and perhaps a little liver here and there wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edited by stefanhinote

I have seen in all the blood tests I've had done over the past year(every 6 weeks) that all my vitamin levels stay in the upper 3/4 of what they consider normal. Now this is with me eating at least 4-5 thousand calories a day and taking a multi vitamin. The only thing that is usually low is my mg levels which is contributed to my high creatine levels when taking creatine which normally runs around 1.25 (normal is .63-1.13 ). Another thing to watch is water intake. They really mean it when they say drink at least a gallon of water a day. I have seen my glomerular fltration rates go from 110 to 82 from not taking in enough water. The vitamins I have taken that makes me feel really good though is vitamin B2 and B12. I take a 200mg B2 pill and a 400mg B12 injection daily for migraines but also gives me a great boost of energy through out the day.

I should sit down and look at the RDA for everything, and actually see if I have any big deficiency--just for kicks.

I should sit down and look at the RDA for everything, and actually see if I have any big deficiency--just for kicks.

You would know.

I have seen in all the blood tests I've had done over the past year(every 6 weeks) that all my vitamin levels stay in the upper 3/4 of what they consider normal. Now this is with me eating at least 4-5 thousand calories a day and taking a multi vitamin. The only thing that is usually low is my mg levels which is contributed to my high creatine levels when taking creatine which normally runs around 1.25 (normal is .63-1.13 ). Another thing to watch is water intake. They really mean it when they say drink at least a gallon of water a day. I have seen my glomerular fltration rates go from 110 to 82 from not taking in enough water. The vitamins I have taken that makes me feel really good though is vitamin B2 and B12. I take a 200mg B2 pill and a 400mg B12 injection daily for migraines but also gives me a great boost of energy through out the day.

Speaking of hydration. I've read that milk is suppose to be more hydrating than sports drinks, and such. Yet if I drink a gallon of milk, and a few glasses of water, my piss is gold.

You would know.

Err borderline deficiency. :P Otherwise yeah I'd probably tell something's up.

Why would you have all vitamins looked at in your body every 6 weeks? That is a fortune. Uless you have free access it is crazy. Way to go the extra mile I guess man.

What did you do that exparement for and what did you find out?

You would know.

Err borderline deficiency. :P Otherwise yeah I'd probably tell something's up.

The RDA is soooooooo low. it is really just the lowest amount that will keep away malnutrition. It is a good trend to move away from it. We talk about it here all the time how average americans dont get enoug protien for example, and eat waaaaY too much sugar.

Why would you have all vitamins looked at in your body every 6 weeks? That is a fortune. Uless you have free access it is crazy. Way to go the extra mile I guess man.

I got damn good insurance and a autoimmune disorder. So I keep track of all Hematology

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

ninja'd.

Edited by stefanhinote

What the RDA says for vit C is pretty much just enough to keep away scurvey.

You would know.

Err borderline deficiency. tongue.png Otherwise yeah I'd probably tell something's up.

The RDA is soooooooo low. it is really just the lowest amount that will keep away malnutrition. It is a good trend to move away from it. We talk about it here all the time how average americans dont get enoug protien for example, and eat waaaaY too much sugar.

You would know.

Err borderline deficiency. tongue.png Otherwise yeah I'd probably tell something's up.

I'm being lazy, and wouldn't look up each item for a more accurate dosage recommendation, hence rda. Not really something important, but more of a "oh that's really low." Though like you said I suspect if that were the case I'd notice it offhand.

I remember talking about RDA and EAR in class, how Americans and Canadians use it, and I wanted to ask so badly if it didn't work outside of those countries. :lol:

I got damn good insurance and a autoimmune disorder. So I keep track of all Hematology

Type 1, or RA?

I have psoriosis, some form of arthritis and recently found to be diabetic. Hoping not type 1, but it is what it is.

Type 1, or RA?

I have psoriosis, some form of arthritis and recently found to be diabetic. Hoping not type 1, but it is what it is.

Lupus

RA is a side effect of Lupus and I have dime sized arthritus in both my knees. I normally work out and ride a road bike 25-50 miles a week to keep myself moving. Although I've had a bad stint of migraines for a few weeks and spent a week in the hospital. But I'm been feeling good and today is my 2nd day working out and picked up my Advanced SL 0 from the bike shop today so I'm gonna ride a few miles tomorrow.

I pray my immune never goes to that route. it is no fun.

Do you have the arthritic symptoms? Some morning I can barely walk and mine is nothing compared to some.

Sounds like you are doing all the rigt things. My flare up that sent meninto thendoc made me suocidal.

I have no words to describe how I feel about the above cars.