mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Ordered a little 1000 today. :)

Something like CQC, HomeSeer?

nothing sure yet. A friend of mine is a rep for a security software/hardware company, and I have been picking his brain along with looking at home and buisness trends.

Ultimately I want something unmanned than notifies me personally, and make it whole house integrated A/V etc. Another friend used to be a director at a one of the big comercial manned security places, and he would get a ton of people he dealt with asking about recomendations for home/private systems.

The best security bar none are humans. They cost to much, and you can't trust them. Dogs are #2, but not what everyone wants. I want a 3rd option....

Exactly what I am looking at doing right now.

Security system that integrates with Home Automation. For instance, if a zone is breached I'd like to be able to turn on the stereo play back a wave file, turn on the lights, and generally frighten away the person entering.

At the same time the system has to be flexible so that while home I can use the automation portion to make my life nicer.

That second part is where is gets tough. From what I understand it would end up being one general outer "shell" program, that would basicaly Administrate all the other programs. I'm no coder so my words are probably wrong but that's how I understanding If UI/GUI and automation options are not there, then it's worthless. I could just have 6 different systems running automation, security, climate, audio and video. Right now, I haven't seen anything run well.

If my roomie codes up something modular enough though I will be happy. something to run all systems from a touch screen. Then I don't have to teach the wife anything. Just tell her what to touch.

HomeSeer, CQC and HAL are all supposed to be able to do all the above. By default many of these require the Elk security systems, but hell I don't care what it is as long as it works reliably.

SeanShouldJustUsePhotobucket T0P!

Ah, it was down. I use Picasa on this PC to keep track of pictures and it has a free web album that loads up real easy so I thought I'd try it. Bummer that it works like shit

and for the home security, I know nothing and i mean NOTHING about programming, but i'm sure you could set up most of what you want with a big control board of relays. if circuit x is broken then the relay flips circuit Y closed ( and the lights in a room kick on along with the stereo or something)

would be really low level but simple enough.

that's all a microchip really is, a freakin' shit ton of relays

A freakin shit ton you say? :wacky:

Projects for the most part are done. 1 week, 3 days to go...

ACLU is fighting a law in Colorado...apparently anytime someone is arrested in Colorado and nudity is involved (streaking, etc.) they're automatically registered as a sex offender no questions asked...I almost never agree with what the ACLU does, but this law is asinine+++++

I kind of think we have that same law here in AZ :angry22:

public urination is a sex offender crime here...

yeah, that's what I was thinking of

and for the home security, I know nothing and i mean NOTHING about programming, but i'm sure you could set up most of what you want with a big control board of relays. if circuit x is broken then the relay flips circuit Y closed ( and the lights in a room kick on along with the stereo or something)

would be really low level but simple enough.

that's all a microchip really is, a freakin' shit ton of relays

A freakin shit ton you say? :wacky:

yes, that's the technical term

Projects for the most part are done. 1 week, 3 days to go...

5 days of classes left here, still waayyy too much to do

Something like CQC, HomeSeer?

nothing sure yet. A friend of mine is a rep for a security software/hardware company, and I have been picking his brain along with looking at home and buisness trends.

Ultimately I want something unmanned than notifies me personally, and make it whole house integrated A/V etc. Another friend used to be a director at a one of the big comercial manned security places, and he would get a ton of people he dealt with asking about recomendations for home/private systems.

The best security bar none are humans. They cost to much, and you can't trust them. Dogs are #2, but not what everyone wants. I want a 3rd option....

Exactly what I am looking at doing right now.

Security system that integrates with Home Automation. For instance, if a zone is breached I'd like to be able to turn on the stereo play back a wave file, turn on the lights, and generally frighten away the person entering.

At the same time the system has to be flexible so that while home I can use the automation portion to make my life nicer.

That second part is where is gets tough. From what I understand it would end up being one general outer "shell" program, that would basicaly Administrate all the other programs. I'm no coder so my words are probably wrong but that's how I understanding If UI/GUI and automation options are not there, then it's worthless. I could just have 6 different systems running automation, security, climate, audio and video. Right now, I haven't seen anything run well.

If my roomie codes up something modular enough though I will be happy. something to run all systems from a touch screen. Then I don't have to teach the wife anything. Just tell her what to touch.

HomeSeer, CQC and HAL are all supposed to be able to do all the above. By default many of these require the Elk security systems, but hell I don't care what it is as long as it works reliably.

i think yall should just go talk to bill gates his got a lil system in his house :peepwall:

Where should Tiffany and I go eat??

Food Top :woot:

in bed :ehh:

O_O

Go out and get food to eat. lol

O_O

oh thanks for clearing that up lol

go to pop'eyes

i could go for some spicy fried chicken, read beans and rice, and biscuits

O_O

go to pop'eyes

But I wanna spend some money lol

O_O

go to pop'eyes

go to bennihanas, or somethin of that nature

steak and sushi place

or you can always wait for some sushi later :peepwall: lol

O_O

go to pop'eyes

go to bennihanas, or somethin of that nature

steak and sushi place

or you can always wait for some sushi later :peepwall: lol

Never heard of that place........

I will figure it out.............

And i probably will get Sushi later............. :ehh:

take her to ruth chris? i don't know anything in louisiana so all i can suggest is chains, and there's no chain food out here so i'm pretty much worthless :wacky:

well i have to interview AGAIN for my internship, this time with one of the graduate fellows/program mentors who is actually IN a research working group. perhaps i'm finally getting somewhere... :ehh:

take her to ruth chris? :wacky:

Are you kidding? The cheapest entree there is $45 with a glass of soda costing $5. That place is a joke.

O_O

go to pop'eyes

Go to a choke 'n puke, eat for 10$, send me the remaining 50 and be happy you spent money? :)

that's so weird, they've both showed up since the first time i loaded them with zero issues....what browsers are you all using? firefox 3.0.9 here

latest fire fox on a vista machine.3.0.6 is what I show.

No pics for me either.

take her to ruth chris? :wacky:

Are you kidding? The cheapest entree there is $45 with a glass of soda costing $5. That place is a joke.

Totally worth it...mmmm...steak