mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

my brain feels a little mushy and my fingers feel retarded trying to type. we celebrated my internship acceptance with a little too much small batch bourbon last night :D

my first week will be a crash course on safety procedures so that i can go play in all the nanotechnology labs. got to see some pretty cool shit yesterday, like a cross section of a liquid helium cooled super magnet. they pump 4 K helium around the magnet, and then pump a layer of liquid nitrogen around the helium to help keep the magnet cool. walked the length of one of the clean rooms too, looks like something out of a james bond movie.

That's sweet! Sorry if you posted this earlier, but who did you get the internship through?

the internship is through the California NanoSystems Institute at UCSB.

Sweet, you working for Kim?

come june i'll be working with a research group on social science innovations regarding nanotechnology. the team leader is in france and i'm working under a graduate fellow. i'm not in the physical sciences, i'm just feeling lucky that i get exposure to these labs without years of ap calculus and physics.

here's the workgroup i've been assigned to (not sure which Kim you're speaking of):

http://www.cns.ucsb.edu/research-at-cns-ucsb-10/

Ah, okay. Indirectly working for Kim then.

http://www.me.ucsb.edu/dept_site/people/ne...urner_page.html

SMoked 3 racks yesterday over 6 hours as just under 300.

I should have used more wood chips for more smoke. But then i did something I never have before I wrapped the ribs in foil and brought them to the parent in laws place to finish on a hot grill there.

They were so amazingly tender and juicy. I guess it's pretty common to wrap them like that. I may try that even if I do them at home next time. It turned out pretty amazing. I think a little more apply wood, another 90 min at low temp and I will be golden.

300 is pretty high for 6 hours, of course I like to nibble mine off the bone and not have them fall apart. At 225-250 mine are done in less than 6 hours although crossing the plateau isn't always easy. I shoot to pull them off betwen 190-200F internal.

<-- ate at Famous Dave's yesterday because I too wanted a rack of ribs

and was hungry and lazy and too late to do my own

looks like she would have the engineering interns working for her this summer, however i have no clue what the extent of my laboratory exposure will be. if i meet her i'll be sure to be extra nice (you have to with these people because you never know when you're talking to a Nobel laureate or like in your friend's case; the chair of the mechanical engineering department ) :ehh:

the upside is everyone on campus so far has been really friendly and enthusiastic about sharing/showing their work. i feel so lucky (and humbled) to be able to work on this level as an undergraduate.

I should have used more wood chips for more smoke. But then i did something I never have before I wrapped the ribs in foil and brought them to the parent in laws place to finish on a hot grill there.

They were so amazingly tender and juicy. I guess it's pretty common to wrap them like that. I may try that even if I do them at home next time. It turned out pretty amazing. I think a little more apply wood, another 90 min at low temp and I will be golden.

i like to let meat i cook for a long time settle it's temperature after cooking. it poaches the meat, retaining all the juices instead of having them pour out when you first put a knife to your meat. for example; yesterday i had a 3lb pork loin which i seared for ten minutes on my grill, then covered it off direct heat (i put charcol on one side of my Webber and the meat opposite the charcol) for another 45 min, then basted it and moved it to a 300 degree oven for the last 45 min with a tin foil tent over it. then i let the meat sit for 20 min loosely covered by foil. adding lots of salt during the marinade helps retain moisture too.

Think I'm going to make a underbed gun storage cabinet this summer. Some linear bearings, some fire rated sheetrock, some steel, some oak, little bit of redneck ingenuity and I think I'll have a slide out gun cabinet that is fire rated and looks like a typical oak underbed storage cabinet.

That would be pretty awesome.

I don't want to spend the 1000+ for a cheaper 'fire rated' gun cabinet, I don't need an honest to god safe in a rental house so I figure why not make it as inconspicuous as possible and have it look like a drawer? Front face folds down, then dual deadbolts and steel front with pull out slide for long guns with a pistol part on the side, with linear bearings I can make it with 1000lb+ load capacity without any problems. I'll be sure to post pictures as it gets built. :)

That idea of yours got my gears turning for ideas............Out of curiosity, could you do it with some linear acuators to move the drawer out with a 'panic' button so your pistol is right there at your finger tips?

Just an odd thought

It was awesome. I told him to sniff it before he ate it.

Best advice ever given by a father! :lol2:

Sooo Ryan2,

I'm looking into building a desk for myself this Summer. Probably something with two regular drawers and a deep drawer for files on each side. Really dunno just throwing stuff out. Got any ideas? design, type of wood, how to build, etc...

Yep, I've got some ideas. Do you have any specific goals you want to accomplish, budget, materials, or look you want to copy?

Not really big on the terms of goals. Just looking for something that I can do work on. My current desk has wood longitudinally up the desk and its uneven, which is really annoying. Would be cool to have an extra level to set the laptop up on so I can do work in front of me and still have the laptop to view. As far as material. I don't want it to look like a cheap ass college budget but I don't have the skills you do so I don't want to make it too nice.

looks like she would have the engineering interns working for her this summer, however i have no clue what the extent of my laboratory exposure will be. if i meet her i'll be sure to be extra nice (you have to with these people because you never know when you're talking to a Nobel laureate or like in your friend's case; the chair of the mechanical engineering department ) :ehh:

the upside is everyone on campus so far has been really friendly and enthusiastic about sharing/showing their work. i feel so lucky (and humbled) to be able to work on this level as an undergraduate.

I wouldn't call her a friend, but she is in charge of the whole nanotech center pretty much. Just FYI, for when you do run into her. ;)

i like to let meat i cook for a long time settle it's temperature after cooking. it poaches the meat, retaining all the juices instead of having them pour out when you first put a knife to your meat. for example; yesterday i had a 3lb pork loin which i seared for ten minutes on my grill, then covered it off direct heat (i put charcol on one side of my Webber and the meat opposite the charcol) for another 45 min, then basted it and moved it to a 300 degree oven for the last 45 min with a tin foil tent over it. then i let the meat sit for 20 min loosely covered by foil. adding lots of salt during the marinade helps retain moisture too.

All pork, poultry, beef and similar REQUIRE resting periods post cooking before eating. If you give it time, you will always be rewarded.

300 is pretty high for 6 hours, of course I like to nibble mine off the bone and not have them fall apart. At 225-250 mine are done in less than 6 hours although crossing the plateau isn't always easy. I shoot to pull them off betwen 190-200F internal.

I cannot seam to get my egg that cool inside. I actually compensate though. I pour hard cider on them durring the last few hours. It really really adds to the flavor.

Think I'm going to make a underbed gun storage cabinet this summer. Some linear bearings, some fire rated sheetrock, some steel, some oak, little bit of redneck ingenuity and I think I'll have a slide out gun cabinet that is fire rated and looks like a typical oak underbed storage cabinet.

I don't want to spend the 1000+ for a cheaper 'fire rated' gun cabinet, I don't need an honest to god safe in a rental house so I figure why not make it as inconspicuous as possible and have it look like a drawer? Front face folds down, then dual deadbolts and steel front with pull out slide for long guns with a pistol part on the side, with linear bearings I can make it with 1000lb+ load capacity without any problems. I'll be sure to post pictures as it gets built. :)

That idea of yours got my gears turning for ideas............Out of curiosity, could you do it with some linear acuators to move the drawer out with a 'panic' button so your pistol is right there at your finger tips?

Just an odd thought

EFF YES!

Have a touch screen with a thumb print scanner that will pop the pistol out in case of intrusion.

I like it.

I should have .....and I will be golden.

i like to let meat i ... marinade helps retain moisture too.

All pork, poultry, beef and similar REQUIRE resting periods post cooking before eating. If you give it time, you will always be rewarded.

I always let it rest under foil or in the open. This time I put it in a ton of foil a towel then a cooler for transport.

When I sauced and put it on high heat after the sitting period I wish I would have left it on the grill for a bit less time.

I never make baby backs, so when I have all the extra cartalidge and tissue going so long and slow really seams to help. My favorite part is the meat with conective tissue and cartilidge anywho...

*glances at the clock*

*sigh*

I cannot seam to get my egg that cool inside. I actually compensate though. I pour hard cider on them durring the last few hours. It really really adds to the flavor.

How are you starting your fire?

I should have .....and I will be golden.

i like to let meat i ... marinade helps retain moisture too.

I always let it rest under foil or in the open. This time I put it in a ton of foil a towel then a cooler for transport.

When I sauced and put it on high heat after the sitting period I wish I would have left it on the grill for a bit less time.

I never make baby backs, so when I have all the extra cartalidge and tissue going so long and slow really seams to help. My favorite part is the meat with conective tissue and cartilidge anywho...

collagen ftw!

How are you starting your fire?

I use the pressed wood squares that green egg sells, or what ever brand is there at the shop when I go.

Unrelated, I cracked my fire ring yesterday trying to ballance my previously broken heat diffusing disk. Still works like a champ though.

Hmm, I always use the 7 in 1 tool or whatever it is called. For a big fire I leave it burning in my Komodo for around 5-7 minutes, for a long smoking setup I maybe leave it in 30 seconds so only 4 or 5 pieces of lump are burning. It usually takes around an hour to come up to 200deg this way, but will stay there all day.

*actually I can only keep her stable around 250 right now, but that is because I burped the grill when at around 900deg and melted my gasket.

The 7 in 1 uses a Mapp gas torch btw.

Just an odd thought

The carry pistol will not be housed in there, if locked up it will be in a quick access handgun cabinet.

I've looked into the finger/hand scan stuff, to damn expensive for my tastes.

Sooo Ryan2,

I'm looking into building a desk for myself this Summer. Probably something with two regular drawers and a deep drawer for files on each side. Really dunno just throwing stuff out. Got any ideas? design, type of wood, how to build, etc...

Yep, I've got some ideas. Do you have any specific goals you want to accomplish, budget, materials, or look you want to copy?

Not really big on the terms of goals. Just looking for something that I can do work on. My current desk has wood longitudinally up the desk and its uneven, which is really annoying. Would be cool to have an extra level to set the laptop up on so I can do work in front of me and still have the laptop to view. As far as material. I don't want it to look like a cheap ass college budget but I don't have the skills you do so I don't want to make it too nice.

This is my desk that I built awhile ago.

newdesk001kp8.jpg

I wanted something it if it got ruined I wouldn't care, look somewhat decent, and yet be able to take apart and store flat for moving without to much effort.

I'm guessing you are going to be limited to using plywood rather than hard woods, which will make things easier and cheaper on you too.

Thinks I would figure out if I was you.

Size/configuration of the desk top

Drawers/shelves

-Filing cabinets are easy to do instead of drawers, might look into that, I did that for ease of construction

Any special requirements

-I wanted it to be easy to take apart with only a screw gun

Budget

-I built mine for under 60$

Bracing to keep the desk top from sagging if you only do .75" thickness

-Steel works wonders, I have a piece of 1x3" tubing under there, it doesn't care if it gets sat on.

-Big ass knee braces work wonders for lateral support.

Drawers

-Do you want slides or rollers?

-Any hardware you can't find or want to see a wide variety, look at www.mcmaster.com

Thats what I can think of currently. If you want I could throw some rough sketches together for you if you give me some ideas.

Just finished my last paper of the semester! One summer class and I'll have a degree! Woot!

:woot::fing34: