casual

Noob needs SQ suggestion from the pros

I would like to install an SQ setup in my car. For right now I would like to keep the factory h/u. Also, I would like to keep all speakers in their original location just to keep everything looking stock. For subs I do not want anything more than 2 10's. I have even thought of 8's in the rear dash to make things a little lighter.

Current setup.........6 speaker bose..........please view link for pics and I appreciate all suggestions.

Would like to keep budget under $1000

http://s470.photobucket.com/albums/rr65/kcazual/

I'll leave head unit integration to someone that knows that better.

For tweeters/midbasses, start reading here: http://www.zaphaudio.com. You should be able to find a pair of tweets and midbasses under $200 new, potentially a lot less if you shop around for used ones.

For amplifiers, I wouldn't bother with anything new. For your front stage, you'll be likely looking for a small 4-channel, and a small monoblock or 2-channel for the subwoofer.

Subs are the least important item of the whole install. While garbage is garbage, don't spend a lot here. $150 maximum.

Also, don't forget to budget for sound deadening. Two rolls would not be a bad start.

if you like to keep your stock headunit look into something like a RF 360.2 or a alpine 701

but at the end of they it will be best to get a good HU or at least a good shuttle.

I'm not clicking the link since Photobucket doesn't work at work.

What car? Really need to know that before we can suggest any equipment to integrate with the stock source.

don't be cheap on your wires. connection has alot to do with SQ.

To some. Some also pay $150 for a 3" length of 3.5mm cable for their Ipod.

How cheap is too cheap. Right now I have a spool of 12 guage speaker wire (walmart). And I have the better scosche rca's. Are these garbage or will I be able to use any?

??? Not at all. I'd rather spend money on everything else and use hangers for wire than waste lots of dough on wires.

That is an endless argument that I don't get into.

it should be more than sufficient to say that if your budget is $1000 for the system, wire is NOT where you want your budget to be spent. your wal-mart wire is fine, no idea about those rcas because i've never even seen them but they should work fine as well.

ok so can i have some component speaker and amp suggestions

Have you read that link I gave you? :)

This is one place where listening to as much stuff out there is a good idea...gives you an idea what you like, and what you'd like to avoid...

This is one place where listening to as much stuff out there is a good idea...gives you an idea what you like, and what you'd like to avoid...

there are loads of good brands and products from a lot of company's. I suppose it comes down to your budget. the trick is the get things that complement each other. Im no pro on SQ but the SQ people around here like to use some of these things

AMPS;

sinfoni

Milbert

Genesis

Audison

ZED

TRU Technology

Components;

morel

seas lotus

rainbow

scanspeak

hertz

some even use Usher home speakers

hope this helps

I severely doubt that. Had a quick chat with the guy who won 3rd place in EMMA SQ Euro finals...just as an example, he tested a run of very expensive wire with the cheapest wire he could find, for his tweeters. Surprisingly the expensive wire was worse. As far as his testing went, it's more of a mix and match deal with connection.

there are loads of good brands and products from a lot of company's. I suppose it comes down to your budget. the trick is the get things that complement each other. Im no pro on SQ but the SQ people around here like to use some of these things

AMPS;

sinfoni

Milbert

Genesis

Audison

ZED

TRU Technology

Components;

morel

seas lotus

rainbow

scanspeak

hertz

some even use Usher home speakers

hope this helps

almost 4got.. also focal BE speakers very popular

There was a high end review where a Sundown 100.4 beat out and Audison. :)

The point Jim was trying make with the Zaphaudio link is that there are a bunch of reviewed, tried and tested drivers out there that are all very easily attainable. All you have to do is look at the data on the drivers and make a decision.

Also, don't worry about the difference of "home audio" vs "car audio" drivers.... There really is no difference other than the fact that many car audio drivers are around 4 ohm... But honestly, there is abbsolutely nothing wrong with running 8 ohm drivers in the car...

Do your homework and make an informed decision. If you want to go active and buy the raw drivers from somewhere like Madisound or PartsExpress, you will be getting about double the quality at half the price of most any main stream component set....

And if space for tweeters isn't a concern and you can tolerate a 3-4" tweeter faceplate, you can get better tweeters for around $50 than what is in ANY car audio component set under a $1000.....

but when you buy raw drivers, won't I need an equalizer or something. Components have crossovers with crossover point. raw drivers don't. how do you tune then to make them sound good.

but when you buy raw drivers, won't I need an equalizer or something. Components have crossovers with crossover point. raw drivers don't. how do you tune then to make them sound good.

No you don't need an Eq.

They will have a crossover point regaurdless if they are active.

The only difference between active and passive is that with active, the filtering takes place before the final gain stage...

For you this means you would't be designing and building passive crossovers, and from what I gather so far, you would not be wanting to do something like this anyway.

The point Jim was trying make with the Zaphaudio link is that there are a bunch of reviewed, tried and tested drivers out there that are all very easily attainable. All you have to do is look at the data on the drivers and make a decision.

Also, don't worry about the difference of "home audio" vs "car audio" drivers.... There really is no difference other than the fact that many car audio drivers are around 4 ohm... But honestly, there is abbsolutely nothing wrong with running 8 ohm drivers in the car...

QUOTE (casual @ Oct 24 2008, 11:12 PM)

No you don't need an Eq.

The only difference between active and passive is that with active, the filtering takes place before the final gain stage...

For you this means you would't be designing and building passive crossovers, and from what I gather so far, you would not be wanting to do something like this anyway.

Seeing as though most home audio drivers are meant for larger enclosured than most car audio drivers....there are a few other differances....

as for an EQ...no you don't need one...but a crossover is a must....another differance between active and passive is you have total control with an active system...unlike passives which are set by the manufactures

QUOTE (casual @ Oct 24 2008, 11:12 PM)

No you don't need an Eq.

Seeing as though most home audio drivers are meant for larger enclosured than most car audio drivers....there are a few other differances....

as for an EQ...no you don't need one...but a crossover is a must....another differance between active and passive is you have total control with an active system...unlike passives which are set by the manufactures

just to add to all the good answers here... active is the way to go but to do this you must make sure you have a H/U or processor that can run active whi;le also having a channel free for each speaker you are planning to drive. ie for 2-way actie you will need a 4ch amp not including you sub amp

Seeing as though most home audio drivers are meant for larger enclosured than most car audio drivers....there are a few other differances...

Sure, except I'm talking about stuff thats going in doors and kicks here....

Ok so if i am using the factory h/u, will a cleansweep work as the processor or wil li need an additional one

There was a high end review where a Sundown 100.4 beat out and Audison. :)

really? what audison was it? link?

one thing i would look at before anything is what the hell your bose system is. Most importantly where the amp(s) is. If you have a single amp a cleansweep/360/bit one along with a 4 channel would be fine. If you have an amp per speaker the install is going to be a bitch