shizzzon

Anybody OC their PC?

Ever since i started doin research and doin it myself, it's very addictive and i'm very satisfied.

I am running a Q9300 (Quad 2.5ghz) Intel off of an Asus board.

Right now, i'm stable at Quad 3.45ghz with temps maxing out at only 61C and this is air cooling, no water cooling at all.

Idle temps on 3 of 4 cores are below 40C.

I'm being told this is an awesome spec'd benchmark especially this being the first time me doin it.... after weeks of research though.

My idle times are actually the SAME as the stock speeds.

I'm lookin for someone to compare benchmarks too because nobody i can find can compare to this pc.

My memory write speed now is 9,600 MB\sec. Most people i've talked to think 6,000 MB\sec is pretty decent...

My Memory Copy speed is almost at 9,800 MB\sec.

My Memory speed is peakin at 8,800 MB\sec although i had to reduce it some the other day to OC my cpu more. I'll see if it helped later because i'm trying to get to quad 3.5ghz without going over 60C.

That would be an extra 4ghz for free, lol.

I have a LOT of info about this chip if anyone is interested in purchasing one, i can definitely help ya set it up.

i've oc'd mine like by 200mhz more. on a p4 630

its pretty old though. i definitely need to upgrade soon.

yea, i've been goin over all my other pcs i've built but notice that their mobos i chose are very restrictive on what settings can be changed.

Like this one mobo i have, only thing i can change on it is the RAM timings... that isn't overclocking at all really, hehe.

This board i have, Asus P5Q Pro, i've got someone else online that just purchased it because it has literally every possible setting for OC-ing and this, for price reasons, is Asus's budget board, but man does it come with a LOT of features. You can get it for around $130-140.

It def. beats their other boards that range all the way up to $400 for the price.

ive overclocked my gfx card, but i havent messed with my processor yet

hehe, i dont even wana go Graphics on this card i have...

It doesnt have a fan on it yet it idles at 131F and maxes at 174F during gameplay... that's ridiculous.

It's already at 750mhz Core\1000mhz RAM.

I have a program that can adjust it's voltage just like a cpu but havent researched OCing graphic cards yet. Those little software progs that come with graphics cards to OC them are not stable and will only cause excessive heat generation due to the fact that you can not control voltage. I run my software that came with it just to monitor the temp on my other monitor.

e8400 at 4.2... forgot stock voltage and air cooling. Max temps hitting 38c.

Is that Core temp or CPU temp?

that def sounds like CPU temp to me.

My CPU temp with my overclock right now is only - 22C at 19% work load

I dont know my max temp for CPU because it's directly irrelevant to safety.

Yours is already dual 3.0 stock so you'll def get higher speeds on your single cores, 1.2 over per is Terrific!

I like to compare so i can have a comparison.

Do you have Everest 4.60 Ultimate?

If you do not, let me know a benchmarking tool we can compare tests with. I'm curious to compare.

I know the battle of the cpus out there are the E8400 vs Q6600 vs Q9300 so this should be interesting.

i have the lamest mobo ever

abit ib9......sigh.....

xfx 7600gt 256mb i forget all the specs on it as its a good 2-3 years old

still runs like a champ though!

i've messed around a little with oc'ing processors, but never graphic cards.

same here, i still got a 5yr old asus here, it has OC abilities but if u are planning on goin high up, it doesnt have all the voltage settings required to get the most stability and control over precise areas as this new board i have does.

ill oc soon enough when i get the home audio out of the way lol.

pssssh.... Be the first to Overclock your home audio setup while maintaining stability, hehe.

Benchmark your setup with an SPL meter, hehe. You better be doin 130s and i dont care if it's DBs or GHz either.

haha ye. i used to be big into gaming, mine is a geforce 8600 gts 512mb, i love it :D

I have no idea what you guys are talking about...I feel dumb now!

I wouldn't mind incorporating some of this stuff into cooling my music server, I don't care at all about making it faster but I would like to get rid of the annoying CPU fan noise. I can get quiet case fans but it's difficult finding a CPU cooler that will fit a non-standard Dell server socket.

Have you though about water cooling or if you have some extra cash vapor cooling?

Q6600 stock

8mb ramm

9800gx2

BOOMBA

I wouldn't mind incorporating some of this stuff into cooling my music server, I don't care at all about making it faster but I would like to get rid of the annoying CPU fan noise. I can get quiet case fans but it's difficult finding a CPU cooler that will fit a non-standard Dell server socket.

Underclock :)

Eff Dell.

<-- runs a DFI; however it is been clocked for four years and still working well. Not sure if Oscar is still designing boards for DFi, but if so I'd imagine that they are rather easy to play with all potential clock settings on.

My theory has always been to clock it up a bit, all it does is where it out faster but hell I can't tell you the last time a processor I had wore out before I wanted to upgrade. At this point though the machine is still more than fast enough for surfing the net and playing music so I don't see the need to upgrade. Like Jim, my next PC will be a silent one with a goal on being whisper quiet for use in the living room as an entertainment center.

ok, i'm downloading 3dmark06 v1.10. I'll be postin some pics of results soon.

I still cant believe that's your core temp but then again, i've always heard that quad runs hotter than dual, but that's insane if it's that much difference.

Underclock :)

Eff Dell.

<-- runs a DFI; however it is been clocked for four years and still working well. Not sure if Oscar is still designing boards for DFi, but if so I'd imagine that they are rather easy to play with all potential clock settings on.

My theory has always been to clock it up a bit, all it does is where it out faster but hell I can't tell you the last time a processor I had wore out before I wanted to upgrade. At this point though the machine is still more than fast enough for surfing the net and playing music so I don't see the need to upgrade. Like Jim, my next PC will be a silent one with a goal on being whisper quiet for use in the living room as an entertainment center.

I love my DFI LP board, makes OC'ing a breeze!

temperature efficient... my Q9300 is 45nm and it doesn't like high voltages compared to the q6600...

Lot's of people have their Q6600 running as high as 1.5v, mine is still not over 1.3v yet and i'm 950mhz higher per core over stock speed. VID is 1.2375.

Here is my results-

3dmark.jpg

Now, hehe, my 3d, and SM scores suck because i only have a $55 video card in here. this pc isn't ready for gaming yet, that i can say outloud obviously. What it is currently geared toward is just pure processing power capable of encoding video at high rates of speed and it does so very nicely. If you look at that pic, you will notice my CPU score.

If you look to the right, i even beat an OC'ed E8400 at 4400MHz by almost 900 points. I don't really know how the point system works, wish we were comparing Everest to compare but i know it cost money so i understand.

I'm happy so far, still tweakin so not done yet.

I've been able to encode video so far with a 1 apss of up to 2,600 FPS! That's an 80:1 ratio! For every 1 sec of time that has elapsed, the pc has passed 80 seconds of video.

Now, when actually encoding, the FPS drops some since that is when it does it's actual writing. The most it's gone up to so far is 880 FPS, that's still a 29.3:1 ratio.

In lamen's terms, i can backup an entire 7.7gb DVD-9 to 4.37gb DVD-5 with 2 passes in less than 8 minutes.

My last pc, hehe, Sempron 2800... it took about 2.5 hrs to do the same thing, lol.

YOU MAY HAVE TO REFRESH THE PAGE IF THE PIC ABOVE ISN'T BIG ENOUGH.

Photobucket resized it on me and i didnt know, it's fixed now.

UPDATE!!

Just OC'ed to Quad 3.5 = 14ghz combined.

Benched in Everest - I have Finally Beatin the First Dual Quad Core Xeon Processor of 2 in the list!

It's impossible for me to beat the other one but it was my goal to beat one of them.

What i just beat is a system that has 2 Quad core chips on 1 motherboard.

The bench was FPUs, specifically what is used for video encoding. Just beat her, I'm happy as hell now, hehe.

The 2 chips i just beat were Dual Xeon L5320s 8 cores of 1866mhz clock = 14.9ghz... surprisingly i beat it with a lower clock... AND underclocked memory at the moment!

I'm running my memory underclocked so if i run into stability issues with these fast OC times, i know it's not the memory.

lesser cores with higher clocks tend to win in any real world situations these days such as gaming and whatnot as nothing is truly optimised even to use quad cores properly.

except for video editing.

When it comes to cpu speeds, video editing is really the only thing that really makes a difference when it comes to processor speeds.

ALL of my video editing software except for one program has options to enable multi-threaded\multi-core support which allows me to encode video at such a high rate.

Anything else i do on this pc, the FSB and the memory have to control the rest of the normal operations in terms of speed.

In a few months, unless something else comes out that fits the bill by then, i'm gettin 2 4870s in crossfire. I seen multiple benchmarks where 2 4870s were faster than a single 4870x2, pulled less power, and were a little cheaper so i cant go wrong there.

I do understand though, most games may only be written for 1 or 2 cpus at teh most so single core speeds rule over multi lower speeds. I understand what u are sayin.