cjosisek90

Something is wrong with my car

So I am off on my way to school when all of a sudden my car decides to play games with me...Ok so I let it go but then it kept doing it and over and over till it got a little serious. It started to reset the head unit by turning it off and then back on. My engine check light was blinking repeatedly. My ABS lights came on. And my power steering gave out but some how managed to come back.

I called my brother up and he told me that I should clean all the ends of the wires and clean the terminals of the battery up front. So I did. Works like it was never even broken. Then after driving around for a half hour seeing a movie with my girlfriend, we chilled at her place. She needed to get some treatment done to her so i decided to leave and then the ABS lights popped up again and the head unit keeps shutting off and turning back on.

Be advise this has happened without my amp and back battery plugged in.

Can anyone tell me what possibly could be wrong?

I have a 95 Honda Accord. A interstate battery up front. A D3100 in the back. All 1/0 gauge wire including Big 3. And a stock alternator.

Thanks,

Curt

does your car have a voltmeter?

I should get one...

Remember this is without the system hooked up that it was happening as well.

at any moment you see the battery light coming upo or blinking? do you have an isolator for the batteries?, you should check your alternator, and veirfy the voltage it is coming out of it.

Sounds like your alternator is going. This happened to me before.

I should get one...

Remember this is without the system hooked up that it was happening as well.

well it doesn't much matter if the system was on or not, if the alternator is dead it won't support the basic functions of the car. Take it to autozone, napa, etc. and have them run a test on it, they do it for free.

I'd say alternator too. This same stuff was happening go my gf's car about a week ago. she was drivin to my house after work got there an said different lights on her dash started goin on and off, no radio in her car right now, so idk about that part. but i checked her voltage. 12.5 V checked it again with the car on 12.1 V. so i looked at the alt. and ..No Belt. it was layin in the front of the motor...

so my bet is alternator

Edited by fritosaregood

I am looking into a new alternator, just waiting for some birthday (Nov 10th!!!) money to help back it up. Thanks for the replies.

Belt is fine. I looked at the belts near and around the alternator and they are strong and held on there pretty tight. The power steering I believe is above the alternator. Sorry not much of a mechanic like my brother.

So my guess from all of your replies is the alternator. I first was assuming maybe the terminals on the battery were loose or something. But I guess I'm giving my alt more than it can handle. Which is pretty much of my stupidity but I can only learn more from my actions.

Thanks for the replies and Ill give you an update in like 2 weeks on the choice of alt and when it should be in. (Most likely Mechman)

Probably has little to do with you asking too much of the alt other than asking it to live more than 13 years.

Probably has little to do with you asking too much of the alt other than asking it to live more than 13 years.

LOL

Forgot to mention the 250k miles it has on it too on top of that 13 years. Ran like a champ!

LOL

Forgot to mention the 250k miles it has on it too on top of that 13 years. Ran like a champ!

I thought my car was high, i have a 95 accord with 235K miles. Did you check the voltage at the battery with the car on and off? a low voltage with the car on would make it more of a chance its the alt

LOL

I thought my car was high, i have a 95 accord with 235K miles. Did you check the voltage at the battery with the car on and off? a low voltage with the car on would make it more of a chance its the alt

I haven't gotten a volt meter yet.

Car likes to start up in a second. It's like that one little rev and its good to go.

Edited by hondaccord

Intermittent power steering problems points to belt. Make sure the tensioner is good. Maybe even take the belt off and check to make sure all the accessories and idler wheels turn freely.

I was puddle jumping with my old Contour and lost power steering and the battery light came on going through a big one - the belt was slipping.