OK!!! I'm doing a electrical upgrade, I have a HO alternator and Hyperflex 0 ga. wire.

can't find a crimping tool big enough to crimp the the wire.

What can i use to crimp the terminal to the wire??????

I like the impact crimpers that you hit with a hammer, I bought my last one from PartsExpress about 7 years ago, I just looked but they don't carry them anymore, or I couldn't find them at least...

I like the impact crimpers that you hit with a hammer, I bought my last one from PartsExpress about 7 years ago, I just looked but they don't carry them anymore, or I couldn't find them at least...

http://www.quickcar.net/tools/tl_ic.html

Home Depot carries them too. Saw one the other day.

SOLDER IT! Works better.

SOLDER IT! Works better.

Can't hold up to some temps though, and make sure you use resin core..

I just use cutters. You know those things that look like pliers but have cutting crimpers on the end. Works for both cutting the wire (though you'll probably have to divide the wire into smaller sections) and crimping. Most ring terminals have that slit down the middle, you can crimp one side at a time. But that's just me, I don't buy fancy tools just for cutting/crimping big wire since I do it maybe once every couple of years. I use what I can find :)

I just use cutters. You know those things that look like pliers but have cutting crimpers on the end. Works for both cutting the wire (though you'll probably have to divide the wire into smaller sections) and crimping. Most ring terminals have that slit down the middle, you can crimp one side at a time. But that's just me, I don't buy fancy tools just for cutting/crimping big wire since I do it maybe once every couple of years. I use what I can find :)

Yea I used some old vice grips to do mine, work ok just get the 1 side down first then tight it a little at a time. Top, side, top, side, works ok.

SOLDER IT! Works better.

I use nothing but rosin core solder and I've never had any issues. You'd literally have to get hotter than a torch to loosen it up.

http://www.quickcar.net/tools/tl_ic.html

Home Depot carries them too. Saw one the other day.

64-020~1.jpg

these work the best. Then solder the end of the crimp after you impacted it on.

SOLDER IT! Works better.

I use nothing but rosin core solder and I've never had any issues. You'd literally have to get hotter than a torch to loosen it up.

I have used solder for many things, including car applications and yes you would have to get prtty high thermally, I have seen it happen many times in many applications. I just don't trust solder itself. Crimped + Solder would work very well :)

And depending on the solder it would not have to get nearly as hot as a torch... solders have melting points from 200-840 F ... but again this is all based on the type of solder.

Edited by JoshM20

You can cheat with a punch and a vice. Use the vice to hold one end of the wire and lay the connector on the vice and hit it. That works if you're in a pinch and can't find a tool.

SOLDER IT! Works better.

I have used solder for many things, including car applications and yes you would have to get prtty high thermally, I have seen it happen many times in many applications. I just don't trust solder itself. Crimped + Solder would work very well :)

And depending on the solder it would not have to get nearly as hot as a torch... solders have melting points from 200-840 F ... but again this is all based on the type of solder.

So, you've seen wiring connections hit 500F without the wire burning first? Sure bud.

I slightly crimp (enough to hold the wire but not smashed completely) and then solder.

I buy these in 2/0 Gauge, solid brass:

0819081706b.jpg

I solder it with a propane torch and it looks like this:

0819081934.jpg

Then wrap it in this loom:

0819081706a.jpg

Soldering is great, so is a good crimp. Both together is almost foolproof....

A bad crimp is just a huge problem waiting to happen. I can't tell you how many ends I have re-terminated because someone used a hammer, pliars or vice to smash the connector on all half-assed...

I just finish doing the big three,and i install my HO alternator

I had a local shop crimp the 0 gauge. i did a tug test on the terminal,and they were good and tight

I played a couple bass heavy tracks and their was a big improvement

my BL had a little more punch

Damn!!!! those BL can can shake the chit out of a car :drink40:

i like to thank you guy's for all the help :bigclap:

So, you've seen wiring connections hit 500F without the wire burning first? Sure bud.

Listen "Bud" I Have seen this happen many times in other applications, mainly when batteries "Vent". So why don't you "Read" my post before you are proven wrong. I love the ignorance of some people.

Josh

I try not to read posts about solder melting on 1/0 wire from people that don't even know how to hook two batteries up in a vehicle.

I try not to read posts about solder melting on 1/0 wire from people that don't even know how to hook two batteries up in a vehicle.

ROFL! Hit him! Hit him! Uppercut!

That is what we do for our cabling on all of our systems at work. Crimp is mainly there to tighten the lug on the cable prior to soldering. The solder is what makes a good connection. Cover the exposed terminals in dielectric grease to keep corrosion at bay. In a pinch I've used a vise, but I put a screwdriver in the split of the crimp connector to give it a good hold on the wire.

Also, using a torch isn't most ideal (very hard on the insulation, start to get insulation bleeding into the wire), if you can find a 150W+ soldering iron you are much further ahead.

A bad crimp is just a huge problem waiting to happen. I can't tell you how many ends I have re-terminated because someone used a hammer, pliars or vice to smash the connector on all half-assed...

:werd_msword:

I got damn lucky when my crimp failed and my Wire between my alternator and batery failed