SpeakerBoy

Anyone have experience with the RL-p 18" ?

just curious about this woofer, looks quite sexy. what are its various attributes? SQ or SPL? low distortion? thanks for your time!

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/zencart...f837bfe2233f7ee

Edited by DeepSubBoy

just curious about this woofer, looks quite sexy. what are its various attributes? SQ or SPL? low distortion? thanks for your time!

It is a great woofer. We have been over this before. You should NOT use terms like SQ or SPL and you definitely don't understand distortion. I'd guarantee on a sub that you wouldn't hear 10% so I am not sure why you'd care.

The RL-p 18 has had nothing but happy owners that I have seen.

It is a great woofer. We have been over this before. You should NOT use terms like SQ or SPL and you definitely don't understand distortion. I'd guarantee on a sub that you wouldn't hear 10% so I am not sure why you'd care.

What's that supposed to mean ? i have a good ear... i just prefer pure loudness, than strictly low-volume quality. i am a musician, i play like, 4 instruments, you have to have a good ear for that, at least. ;)

and Denim, thats awesome. mainly looking for nice, solid bass. my first large build is coming up around march :) going to be installing a system in my friend's 66 impala, as soon as he comes up with the money for it. i am just curious, does anyone have any idea of the measurements of that car's trunkspace? he cant find dimensions anywhere. he wants quote: "a few of whatever goes real loud" what i take from that statement is he wants lots of big woofers, because in his mind, more= louder. i have however, learned that with the correct install, anything can sound decent. so here is the toss-up. what is ONE woofer that, in the correct install, would be not only loud as hell, but sound beautiful? budget is around $1500. i was gonna tell him to get a BTL, but i hear those are strictly SPL woofers, and dont sound all that great... how would the Q18, the SSD18 and the RL-p18 stack up? quality wise i mean. i will go out on a limb and say that we can fit a 6ft3 box in the trunk, it is a pretty big car. what would sound the best? and what would be the loudest (all my friend wants is bragging rights...but whatever)?

I'd say 2 15" BL's or Nightshades...

The RL-p does NOT sound like what he wants.

If you can't fit two 15's, use one 18. The BL and Nightshade will get loud as chit and retain pretty good quality from what I've heard.

I just don't think your friend is looking for much SQ, so there is no reason to go w/ a SQ sub.

The Havoc would also be a good option to look into. :D

edit: I am NOT trying to diss SoundSplinter or the RL-p in anyway. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like the sub that fit the mentality of "a few of whatever goes real loud."

Edited by nick_19

thanks for a speedy reply :lol: i was looking forward to working with soundsplinter, but yeah it is really more SPL he wants. dang...gotta go to geometry :(

It's all good. Any of the companies here will give you a great product and great service, but there is no reason to just pick a brand because you want to. Pick equipment AFTER goals. Forcing goals and equipment together will not work.

But judging by bigjon's experience and many other's experience w/ the Nightshades, they seem to be a damn good sub.

The BL's are great as well.

I would say drop the cash for Havocs (or a Havoc) only if you want to get a little bit lower and have slightly more SQ.

Good luck w/ your choice.

It's all good. Any of the companies here will give you a great product and great service, but there is no reason to just pick a brand because you want to. Pick equipment AFTER goals. Forcing goals and equipment together will not work.

But judging by bigjon's experience and many other's experience w/ the Nightshades, they seem to be a damn good sub.

The BL's are great as well.

I would say drop the cash for Havocs (or a Havoc) only if you want to get a little bit lower and have slightly more SQ.

Good luck w/ your choice.

thanks nick :lol: the havoc's look nice, i think we might just go with them. how much do they run for? (the 18's)

where is a 14 year old gettin all these cars, and why does everyone you know want a 14 year old to install their system?

huh? my guy is 18...? and i am the only one in my neighborhood that is any good with this stuff :)

where is a 14 year old gettin all these cars, and why does everyone you know want a 14 year old to install their system?

huh? my guy is 18...? and i am the only one in my neighborhood that is any good with this stuff :)

how are you good at it if youve never even built one yet, all youve do is that back pack right?

and you seem to have alot of different threads with alot of different stories.,.. if you have a question, just ask the question, dont make up a pointless story behind them, cuz thats how it seems, imo

Edited by fritosaregood

Back on topic. I think that, if it will fit, 2 15" subs will fit what he is looking for.

I agree, maybe the RL-p 18 is not exactly what DSB is after. But that does not at all mean it is a bad choice by any means. Oxsign got some big numbers out of his RL-p 18 installs. There are threads on here about them.

how are you good at it if youve never even built one yet, all youve do is that back pack right?

and you seem to have alot of different threads with alot of different stories.,.. if you have a question, just ask the question, dont make up a pointless story behind them, cuz thats how it seems, imo

oh lol my friends have built, and taken apart most all of the thread's ideas i have brought up. it isnt useless posts lol. i know, it sure seems like it hwen you read it, even to me! but nah, i dont waste time like that, not anymore :lol:

I agree, maybe the RL-p 18 is not exactly what DSB is after. But that does not at all mean it is a bad choice by any means. Oxsign got some big numbers out of his RL-p 18 installs. There are threads on here about them.

Denim, could you please post a link to it if you find time, that would be greatly appreciated ;) and he is not looking for world-class ground shaking bass, he wants something loud to jam with, but not be limited to low volumes. hence the classic "pull up at a stop light, and rev the engine" type deal, just with bass... if that makes any kind of sense lol.

My limited experience with the RL-P 18 is that it is a very low distortion driver by most standards (5400 LMS is king :P ). This in comparison to a Mach5 IXL 18.2.2. The RL-P was cleaner at all levels, until in convieniently destroyed itself.

Other than that, it is not a driver that is going to take well to extreme abuse. If the coil is bottomed, you're SOL.

As everyone is saying, this probably isn't your best bet as he's not after pure SQ.

One thing this driver has on it's side is looks. Not much comes close to the aluminum cone and rubber surround. Oh, and it performs well too. :P

A key piece of advice is the mention of having your goals and your equipment matching. If you wanted a nice looking woofer with high SQ then the RL-P would be a good choice. If you're looking for SPL then a BL would be a good choice.

What's that supposed to mean ? i have a good ear... i just prefer pure loudness, than strictly low-volume quality. i am a musician, i play like, 4 instruments, you have to have a good ear for that, at least. ;)

Simple. You don't understand the terms and you won't hear distortion on a sub. Your original question is really strange, in particular when you finally told us what your friend is looking for. The Rlp 18 can get loud, don't let people on here scare you but really knowing exactly what your buddy wants is very important here.

ahh. well, how much space would a box take up for a BL18? would 5ft3@ 30hz be good? or would it be choking it a bit. back to my chem project.....thanks for any replies.

Size isn't everything. If you do a proper install on 2 12" subs vs. a shotty job on 1 18", it could easily out perform it.

yeah... i would trust a 14 year old to handle my purchasing decisions, installation, and design of a BIG sound system in a precious, rare, restored 1966 impala.

someone watches alot of MTV.

someone watches alot of MTV.

dont appreciate the immature comments. very juvenile. i AM NOT the only one participating in this install. my brother is helping me out. so PLEASE, keep all negativity to yourself.

my guy is 18...? and i am the only one in my neighborhood that is any good with this stuff :)

your the only one good at this, yet you have other ppl helpin you? seems like your makin this up as you go

Ok, closing this one too. I have never had to close so many threads due to tone or attitude.

DSB, please start a new topic if you like, this one went way off the rails.